• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rugby Union

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Im not supprised, unlike us Irish fans, who with Corbs move over to the Saints (also announced reccently), leaves us looking decidedly shoddy - especially when other teams are now signing player for next season, and we've er... not. So the fight continues...Sales management woes vs London Irish's Player / Management incompetance...

Still, just as well half of me is from Devon - Those Chiefs are looking pretty safe!

The Welsh regions are all looking a bit shoddy this season, following the French exodus and the WRU salary cap.

I agree about the Chiefs!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
I am not expecting anything of Wale sin the 6N. We are quite capable of losing every game.

Is this still the case ?

Who do others fancy for the upcoming Six Nations ?

I fear we (Scotland) will be battling to avoid the big Wooden Spoon :oops:

Oswyntail

Established Member
It's a bit trite to say, but the top three will be from England, France and Ireland, the bottom from Italy, Wales and Scotland. If pushed, I would put them in that order, though each set of three will be very close and could go any way.

andrew bell

If I was asked to put the 6 nations in finishing order it would be:
1. England (only due playing France @ Twickenham)
2. France
3. Wales
4. Ireland
5. Scotland (only due to playing Italy @ Murrayfield)
6. Italy

I do hold rights to change my opinion during the next few weeks :)

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Is this still the case ?

Absolutely!

Who do others fancy for the upcoming Six Nations ?

I fear we (Scotland) will be battling to avoid the big Wooden Spoon :oops:

Scott Johnson may well inspire the side to better things. Alternatively, he may have the opposite effect. W'll have to wait and see how he is received!

It's a bit trite to say, but the top three will be from England, France and Ireland, the bottom from Italy, Wales and Scotland. If pushed, I would put them in that order, though each set of three will be very close and could go any way.

I think Ireland are a little below their peak of a few years ago. Though if they play well, anything is possible! I think it will just be between England and france this year.

If I was asked to put the 6 nations in finishing order it would be:
1. England (only due playing France @ Twickenham)
2. France
3. Wales
4. Ireland
5. Scotland (only due to playing Italy @ Murrayfield)
6. Italy

I do hold rights to change my opinion during the next few weeks :)

Indeed, it could just as easily be

France
England
Ireland
Scotland
Italy
Wales

No doubt some matches will turn on a crucial refereeing decision, or one moment of magic, it's what makes the tournament so interesting!

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Mr Lancaster has done pretty well so far in my book. when England returned from the World Cup 2011 they were in pretty poor shape. Now, I suggest that an England fan would be happier than a Welsh with theiir teams Six Nations prospects!

can't wait for the 6 nations.

as a big fan of both codes there is so much mega rugby coming up this year. the club teams I support in each code have hugely differing fortunes.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
The Scarlets have been on a downward spiral since November, which must have caused confidence issues in the whole squad.

Kneedown

Established Member
At half time i was on the verge of switching over. Glad i didn't now. Disappointing result but the second half performance gave me great heart. Another 10mins and we could've had em. If we could've got into the Irish half a few min's from time i'd have gone for a drop goal or penalty. Then they could've got possession back and gone for the try as long they didnt get turned over.
A fair result. We didnt turn up for the first half and got punished.

Ferret

Established Member
O'Driscoll scored a try for Ireland early on in the second half, which was converted.

Which made all the difference in the game I think. It was easier for Ireland to defend in the last 10 minutes knowing Wales needed two scores.

Now watching Eng v Sco for a short while before I have to do some work - poor start defensively from both sides.

Butts

Veteran Member
England 38-18 Scotland - good match with plenty of action.

Well played England a deserved victory.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Two good games today, fortunately I discovered an Irish ancestor just before the kick off so I sang the Fields of Athenry all through the first half which must have helped Ireland to their well deserved lead.

I got a bit worried midway through the second half when I thought we might have let the Taffies back into the game, but we managed to holdl out with some ease in the end.

Ireland for the Grand Slam!

Paddy O'Greenback signing off. Until next week!

richw

Veteran Member
Young Owen Farrell had a good day with his goal kicking today for England. Nice to see Billy Twelvetrees score a try on his debut.

Owen Farrell only missed one place kick all tournament last year. Am I right in thinking he is only young as well?
It does look good that we (England) are bringing through all the youngsters now with 2 1/2 years to world cup, and they are playing so well, can only get better I'd think

Requeststop

What I love but the Welsh, being a Cornishman and so therefore "supposedly" related is: If they win they don't shut up about it. In fact they never stop. When they loose it's: Did we play?. It's why I love my Fiji Rugby shirt so much. I don't have to listen to them boasting when they actually managed to win a game. When I wear it in their presence, as soon as they see the shirt, they avoid me. It's wonderful.

The other thing that shut's them up is when you ask them how many World Cup finals they have been in? and tell them to come back when they have won 2 World Cups and actually done more than the English. It's like rat poison. They seem to disappear.

Tibbs

Young Owen Farrell had a good day with his goal kicking today for England. Nice to see Billy Twelvetrees score a try on his debut.

He had a good day, but how Robshaw didn't get man of the match was a total mystery to me. He was absolutely everywhere and played an outstanding leader's game.

I guess being an ex-forward I'm slightly biased, but you'd think Moore at least would appreciate a game winning performance even without a name in the scoresheet.

richw

Veteran Member
He had a good day, but how Robshaw didn't get man of the match was a total mystery to me. He was absolutely everywhere and played an outstanding leader's game.

I guess being an ex-forward I'm slightly biased, but you'd think Moore at least would appreciate a game winning performance even without a name in the scoresheet.

considering Robshaw was unheard of in international game when he was made captain 12 months ago, it was an unusual appointment. Now looking at him he seems to be one of the most natural international captains I've seen. Lancaster definitly knows the lesser known players, and plays them which is something his predecessors have failed to do.

Butts

Veteran Member
Italy 23-18 France.........

No one saw that coming......

Talk about "The Italian Job"....well done Italy :p

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Italy 23-18 France.........

No one saw that coming......Talk about "The Italian Job"....well done Italy :p

What a great last five minutes defensive display by Italy to ensure their win. The Italian early first half display must have really given the French team management something to think about.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Friday, 8th February 2013

Sale Sharks 21...Exeter Chiefs 16

This was a game that Sale Sharks had to win to gain points in their fight against relegation.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
What a great last five minutes defensive display by Italy to ensure their win. The Italian early first half display must have really given the French team management something to think about.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Friday, 8th February 2013

Sale Sharks 21...Exeter Chiefs 16

This was a game that Sale Sharks had to win to gain points in their fight against relegation.

I would quite like to see London Irish in the Championship. I've seen Newcastle this season, Harlequins in 2005-06 down here in the championship and Northampton in 2007-08. Cornish Pirates play not too far from me, and I do like to go when I can and I make sure I get to the big games without fail