• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rugby Union

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ferret

Established Member
Humbled in the Stade de France. Michalak was awful, and where was Dusautoir?! France have problems...

richw

Veteran Member
After our result against Italy (a nice suprise) it's good to have a bit of competition for the dreaded spoon :p

Impossible for you to win the spoon this year, it goes to any team that records no wins

richw

Veteran Member
I thought it was just for finishing bottom :oops:

You may be right actually, and there is a charity linked to the 6 nations, formed by the Wooden spoon winning England team on 1983!

Wooden Spoon (Spoon) is a children's charity founded in 1983, when the England rugby team received the Wooden Spoon in the 5 Nations. Spoon is dedicated to helping children and young people who are disadvantaged physically, mentally or socially by using sport as a method of improving lives while harnessing the spirit and values of rugby.[citation needed] Wooden Spoon encompasses more than 10,000 members across the UK and Ireland with over 40 regional volunteer committees, who organise fundraising events and challenges:

To date, Spoon has helped over 500,000 children and donated over £15 million to a variety of causes

Oswyntail

Established Member
Humbled in the Stade de France. ... France have problems...
I wouldn't say "humbled". It was a poor game between two poor sides, with one moment between them. Neither team showed much skill or imagination. The Scotland / Italy game was better, and much closer than the score line suggests. Two well-balanced teams, with four stupid errors from the Italians making the difference. Good, old-fashioned forwards game in Dublin, with both teams adapting to the conditions well (one of the joys of rugby is how it does that). England kept their cool better (OK, one player sin-binned, but Ireland could well have had a red card very early on).
Disappointing weekend after the feast of last week, though.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The greasy ball was not the only reason for the many handling errors by Ireland in today's match. Too often, the receiver was more aware of the oncoming tackles rather than giving full concentration to gathering the ball.

The match was definitely a battle of the forwards, which England won.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Sunday, 17th February.....Premiership result

London Welsh 25...Sale Sharks 26

A hard-fought bottom of the table clash at the Kassam Stadium that gave Sale Sharks a little more hope in their fight to retain their Premiership status.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Sunday, 17th February.....Premiership result

London Welsh 25...Sale Sharks 26

A hard-fought bottom of the table clash at the Kassam Stadium that gave Sale Sharks a little more hope in their fight to retain their Premiership status.

Was Sale's a bonus point win? If so will leave them bottom soley by a worse points difference to Irish of around 25points

richw

Veteran Member
Combining the two items for a moment - did anyone see the pitch at Twickers get the Top Gear Rugby treatment this evening? :lol:

yes, fortunately it was the last game ever played on the old surface. It was filmed a couple of days before the surface was due to be dug up last June!

Ferret

Established Member
What the hell have France done?! I hope Trinh-Duc was injured, otherwise it's criminal to have taken him off. Still, thanks for the gifted win - the Grand Slam dream is still on.

Established Member
Plastered all over a pub outside Inverness station:

'Free pint if Scotland win'

Make of that what you will....

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
What the hell have France done?! I hope Trinh-Duc was injured, otherwise it's criminal to have taken him off. Still, thanks for the gifted win - the Grand Slam dream is still on.

He did seem to have a bump shortly before he was subbed. I must say that France looked a completely different side when he and Parra were running the show for them.

With the replacement half backs France returned to the shapeless mess that they were against Italy and Wales, just running around like headless chickens.

Ferret

Established Member
Yes, the report in the paper suggests Trinh-Duc picked up a knock. Nothing about Morgan Parra being injured though! France really are an absolute shambles when the trinity of Parra, Trinh-Duc and Dusautoir aren't on the pitch together. There's some serious work to be done on the training ground I feel, because they've wasted the talents of Picamoles and Fofana this year.

Still, for about 50-55 minutes yesterday, I honestly thought England would lose. And then came the substitutions.....

Butts

Veteran Member
Plastered all over a pub outside Inverness station:

'Free pint if Scotland win'

Make of that what you will....

Well I wonder how many they had to provide.....:lol:

12-8 win over Ireland despite being 8-0 down ......

Two wins in a row for Scotland I'm deaming :p

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Scotland 18...Wales 28

Scotland's recent revival ends as Wales keep up their challenge at the top

Ireland 13...France 13

Who would have thought this would have been the first match that France has not been defeated in this the current campaign. Les Blues supporters must been in deep depression at present.

Butts

Veteran Member
Scotland 18...Wales 28

Scotland's recent revival ends as Wales keep up their challenge at the top
Ireland 13...France 13

Who would have thought this would have been the first match that France has not been defeated in this the current campaign. Les Blues supporters must been in deep depression at present.

Thought it was to good to last :oops:

Ferret

Established Member
France should've lost that game too, poor defending from the Irish and a couple of poor place kicks really cost them a win. I cannot understand the decision to persevere with Michalak, who (apart from one excellent conversion) did very little of use all afternoon.

andrew bell

Ferret:1392044 said:
France should've lost that game too, poor defending from the Irish and a couple of poor place kicks really cost them a win. I cannot understand the decision to persevere with Michalak, who (apart from one excellent conversion) did very little of use all afternoon.

Also did they actually score their try to make it 13-11 as it looked to me he was short

Ferret

Established Member
Also did they actually score their try to make it 13-11 as it looked to me he was short

Steve Walsh was on the spot and seemed to have a good view so we'll have to take his word for it! I must admit I thought he'd been held up short of the line though initially. I suppose grudging credit is due to Michalak for that conversion. That was not easy...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
With London Welsh incurring a five-point deduction, the battle between them and Sale Sharks to avoid the "wooden spoon" has certainly been given "a twist of the knife" with so few matches left to play in the Premiership this season.

Both these teams have won 4 and lost 13 of the 17 league games played so far.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

*************************************************************************************

The Welsh Rugby Union have confirmed that the roof over the Millennium Stadium will be closed in advance of the start of the Six Nations decider between Wales and England.

andrew bell

I wonder if Wales couldn't win the title if they would of elected to keep the roof open, to make it a bit harder for England, I think they would

carlejo

I wonder if the statement made by a Welsh player that suggested the word "bloodbath" was a similar ploy to unsettle the England team ?

A supporter said it to the player, it wasn't the players words(George North)....I think he was a bit silly to quote it to be honest, it may fire England up, being as I'm Welsh, I don't want that to happen.

It's going to be a tough game, especially when the centres clash

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
A supporter said it to the player, it wasn't the players words(George North)....I think he was a bit silly to quote it to be honest, it may fire England up, being as I'm Welsh, I don't want that to happen.

I wonder how the Welsh team management would have felt when they heard of the connection to George North in that statement. He should have had enough sense not to have had anything to do whatsoever with such comments that were made so very near to the date of this match. Needless to say, the sports media have not been discreet in their use of the stated quote.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I wonder if Wales couldn't win the title if they would of elected to keep the roof open, to make it a bit harder for England, I think they would

Wales like to have the roof closed. To leave it open may disrupt the scrum, as well as make playing rugby more difficult. I thinkthey have made the right decision from a rugby viewpoint!

It's going to be a tough game, especially when the centres clash

It is. I'm sure both sides will be up for this match! Although I'd like to ask what effect the Millennium stadium atmosphere will have on the England team, it appears to have more of an inhibiting effect on Wales, if recent results are anything to go by!