• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rugby Union

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'm sure they are, but I've got a feeling they are going to be disappointed!

That said, most of my feelings are completely wrong!

Good luck to Scotland for tomorrow! I will be watching, with a couple of bottles of beer close by!

Butts

Veteran Member
I'm sure they are, but I've got a feeling they are going to be disappointed!

That said, most of my feelings are completely wrong!

Good luck to Scotland for tomorrow! I will be watching, with a couple of bottles of beer close by!

So will most of Scotland - to drown their sorrows :p

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I've predicted France to win onn a rugby forum game, so I fully expect a Scottish victory!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The Scots were so close yesterday...I remain unconvinced by Duncan Weir who threw the terrible pass for that interception try which ultimately proved to be so costly.

Barring the first half of the England game where they were all over them France have been really poor this year. I thought they had a great chance leading into the competition. The struggle to beat Scotland yesterdays sums it up for me.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
England 29...Wales 18

'Nuff said....That's the Triple Crown sorted
I have just heard that the injury sustained by Leigh Halfpenny was a dislocated shoulder, which will keep him out of action for some time.

Last edited:

GatwickDepress

Established Member
The youngest of my brothers was at Twickenham yesterday, as part of the team of one of the two schools chosen to play as part of the curtain raiser and form the guard of honour.

Led to the first time I've watched Rugby in donkey's years , and very enjoyable it was too.

Do I take it that they have now geared down ?
:lol:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Do I take it that they have now geared down ?

No, as always after a poor performance from Wales they have gone into 'sack the coach, chaneg the entire team' meltdown...

I think I may have been banned from the Llanelli Scarlets forum for suggesting that there may be an alternatiove fly half option.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Even at his age and level of fitness, I don't think he'd have been much worse yesterday.

In fact, I think I would have been only slightly worse.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Was Barry John ever forgiven for his move from Llanelli to Cardiff ?

He is not well regarded in Wales at all. Many in this area still resent the move, but his media articles, as well as a recent documentary on his life these days, have meant that most people dislike the man but feel sorry for him, to various degrees.

Some still hate him for retiring early. I've also heard it said he wanted to be treated like George Best but there was no money in rugby in those days. He felt he should have been more revered and more handsomely rewarded, which contributed to him leaving the field, so to speak.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Some still hate him for retiring early......
The chap who took his place did quite well though.
I don't think Gatland did Wales a great service by picking so many of his team for the Lions. They were not so clearly the best for their positions - and the scrum, for instance, only really functioned when the English contingent were introduced - and it means that dropping underperforming players is that bit harder. I note he is mumbling about them being drained after a Grand Slam and a Lions tour, but that is just an excuse, IMHO.
And once again, unless something really dramatic happens, Wales have produced their best team in the middle of a World Cup cycle. Sadly the domestic setup does not seem to be about to produce quality replacements.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
There's no doubt that if a Lions tour was taking place this year, very few Welsh players would be in it.

The Rabo league doesn't produce intense, quality matches, so there is a big step up for those who are still playing in Wales when they go on international duty. That said, playing in France hasn't helped Lydiate, Roberts or Hook at international level.

The main problem is that Gatland's way of playing requires high levels of fitness and for players to be accurate in what they are doing. When it works, it is effective and difficult to stop, but it does rely on the majority of players being sharp and fit.

Once more than one or two have a dip in form, are gettin old, carrying injuries or have just not been playing (examples this season being Priestland, Lydiate, Warburton, Jonathan Davies, Mike Phillips and the two props) this style of play inevitably becomes less effective.

I don't want to take away anything from England, they were good value for their victory and I like their pattern of play.

Butts

Veteran Member
There's no doubt that if a Lions tour was taking place this year, very few Welsh players would be in it.

The Rabo league doesn't produce intense, quality matches, so there is a big step up for those who are still playing in Wales when they go on international duty. That said, playing in France hasn't helped Lydiate, Roberts or Hook at international level.

The main problem is that Gatland's way of playing requires high levels of fitness and for players to be accurate in what they are doing. When it works, it is effective and difficult to stop, but it does rely on the majority of players being sharp and fit.

Once more than one or two have a dip in form, are gettin old, carrying injuries or have just not been playing (examples this season being Priestland, Lydiate, Warburton, Jonathan Davies, Mike Phillips and the two props) this style of play inevitably becomes less effective.

I don't want to take away anything from England, they were good value for their victory and I like their pattern of play.

Don't go throwing yourself in the River Taff quite yet - Scotland would have even fewer :oops:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Never thought I will be saying this but come on France!

England need to go all-out against Italy to try and boost their points difference to overtake Ireland.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Don't go throwing yourself in the River Taff quite yet - Scotland would have even fewer :oops:

I'm a big fan of Richie Gray and Alistair Denton. I also think Stuart Hogg would be worth taking.

As far as Wales go, I don't see anyone part from George North, Leigh Halfpenny and Sam Warburton being selected for a Lions Tour this year. The rest of them haven't performed well enough.

I'd like to see a few changes for the next match, just to shake it up a bit. Gatland has been loyal and some players have not repaid his faith. I suspect there may be an element of complacency in the squad, and the Welsh Lions may have started to believe they are better than they are.

Butts

Veteran Member
I'm a big fan of Richie Gray and Alistair Denton. I also think Stuart Hogg would be worth taking.

As far as Wales go, I don't see anyone part from George North, Leigh Halfpenny and Sam Warburton being selected for a Lions Tour this year. The rest of them haven't performed well enough.

I'd like to see a few changes for the next match, just to shake it up a bit. Gatland has been loyal and some players have not repaid his faith. I suspect there may be an element of complacency in the squad, and the Welsh Lions may have started to believe they are better than they are.

What's you feelings about the Scotland Fixture ? - are you going to give us a panning :p

Edit Butts - don't bother answering the result is self-evident !!

Last edited:

SkinnyDave

Established Member
That was horrendous from Scotland.. There is a disease within Scottish Rugby and has been for ten years!
Top to bottom the whole organisation needs a clear out and I regret to say it I do agree with Some parts if the media, they currently offer nothing to tournament and could be doing with a warning shot from other Unions about future

Oswyntail

Established Member
That was horrendous from Scotland.. There is a disease within Scottish Rugby and has been for ten years!
Top to bottom the whole organisation needs a clear out and I regret to say it I do agree with Some parts if the media, they currently offer nothing to tournament and could be doing with a warning shot from other Unions about future
To be fair, they did play a lot better in the second half.

HST Power

Established Member
Together standing tall!

Delighted to see an Irish win. Feeling very proud of my Irish roots, so happy the lads held on for a well deserved victory. What a close finish. What a close game.

:D

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It was good to see that pass being noted as being a forward pass virtually at the end of the match, otherwise the French would have registered their third win of the season where the winning points came "at the death".

I note there was use made of "the fourth match official and the televiewing replay" on a number of occasions, but not when the French were awarded the try where they tried to use the padding on the upright (being officially part of the line) where the TV replay shown to the viewers at home clearly proved the ball was knocked on.

Any news on the injury that saw Jonathon Sexton prostrate for some time, then carried off on a stretcher ?
Delighted to see an Irish win. Feeling very proud of my Irish roots, so happy the lads held on for a well deserved victory. What a close finish. What a close game.

:D

Well, that comment should see a certain someone summoned to Conservative Central Office....:D

Last edited: