• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rugby Union

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tooktook

I wonder what exactly were the "team culture issues" that caused both Manu Tuilagi and Denny Solomona to be sent home from the Teddington three-day England training camp.

The papers did allude to alcohol being involved in some form. I don't have a link to article but apparently tuilagi returned to the team hotel at 430am after a drinking session.

JamesT

Established Member
The first round of matches of the Women's Rugby World Cup took places yesterday. No real surprises, though Ireland v Australia was a tight match with the result at 19-17 ultimately coming down to the accuracy of conversions.

Unfortunately the gulf in class between the top of the Women's game and the rest was on show with France beating Japan 72-14 and Canada destroying Hong Kong 98-0. However I suspect this will continue to be inevitable whilst amateur teams have no opportunity to play outside their region apart from this tournament.

Coverage on ITV, though they only showed 2 of the 6 matches played on ITV4. Other matches not being show by ITV are available from World Rugby's page on Facebook.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Aviva Premiership

Sale Sharks 6...Exeter Chiefs 10

In the Friday night league match, matters were as tight as expected and half-time arrived with the score at just 3-3. There was only one try scored in the entire match, by the Exeter wing Lachlan Turner in the second half.

Exeter now move to top spot in the league, with Sale languishing in ninth place.

richw

Veteran Member
Owen Farrell is now a conversion short of breaking Johnny Wilkinson’s England points record. Something I couldn’t believe at first considering his young age, and relative profile against Wilkinson’s.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
England seem to be doing well in both League and Union Internationals. Saw a funny thing on the Wales V New Zealand match yesterday.

mlb377

Aviva Premiership

Sale Sharks 18...Northampton Saints 15

The expected "hard slog" of a match duly took place and this was the first win in the league by Sale since September. At least it consolidates their tenth place in the league.
Only caught the highlights this eve. Good on Sale, shame Northampton are so hot and cold.

tony_mac

Established Member
Owen Farrell is now a conversion short of breaking Johnny Wilkinson’s England points record. Something I couldn’t believe at first considering his young age, and relative profile against Wilkinson’s.
I couldn't believe it either - but he's only halfway there!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Aviva Premiership

Sale Sharks 32...Bath 9

Half-time arrived with Bath leading 9-6, as a result of penalty exchanges, but the second half saw Sale applying better pressure and scoring four tries. This result keeps Sale in a more improved league position and puts a check on the recent ambitions of Bath.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Aviva Premiership

Sale Sharks 30...Harlequins 29

Harlequins had the better of the first half and were 22-17 up at the break, but as in recent matches Sale produced a strong second half and won by the narrowest of margins. Sale now in sixth place after 13 league matches have been played.

Butts

Veteran Member
Ugh.... No one wants to be a Scotsman exiled in Wales after yesterdays fiasco :oops:

34-7 humbling by the Taffs - last Autumn has turned out to be a false dawn !!! (as many of us suspected)

Well done to Ireland with that brilliant drop-goal snatching victory over the Frogs in Paris.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Ugh.... No one wants to be a Scotsman exiled in Wales after yesterdays fiasco :oops:

34-7 humbling by the Taffs - last Autumn has turned out to be a false dawn !!! (as many of us suspected)

Well done to Ireland with that brilliant drop-goal snatching victory over the Frogs in Paris.

I wonder how England will do this afternoon.?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Ugh.... No one wants to be a Scotsman exiled in Wales after yesterdays fiasco :oops: 34-7 humbling by the Taffs - last Autumn has turned out to be a false dawn !!! (as many of us suspected).

If it's any consolation, there weren't many people who predicted that was going to happen. I didn't think that we'd produce a performance like that in a month of Saturdays, and I'm still amazed that we did!

richw

Veteran Member

I think the Scots were over hyped or deluded. They conceded 38 to Samoa, and beat a very poor Aussie team, the worst in history possibly?

Butts

Veteran Member
Well, as a Scotland supporter, I think we bounced back from the shock of Cardiff very well indeed!

Indeed, our first Home win over England for 14 Years.

After being humbled in Cardiff things are looking looking up with successive wins over France and England.

Suspect the Irish will bring us back to Earth with a bump. !!!

59CosG95

Established Member
Hmm, not quite match-related, but I stumbled across this earlier. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43235314
Eddie Jones (England's head coach) got verbally abused on public transport on Sunday, after the Calcutta Cup defeat at Murrayfield on Saturday; once at Manchester Oxford Road, and again between Man Picc and London Euston. As a result of this, when asked about using public transport, he said "I'll make sure I won't in future. It's as simple as that".
And I have to say, I'm not entirely surprised.
The attitude of those abusive "fans" (even if they were rugby supporters) sickens me. No coach should have to face that level of abuse, on or off the pitch.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
It's not personal, but I do wish that people (especially the press) would stop calling these people "fans" or "supporters", because they are nothing of the kind.

By their behaviour, they feel nothing for the game and know even less.

Butts

Veteran Member
It's not personal, but I do wish that people (especially the press) would stop calling these people "fans" or "supporters", because they are nothing of the kind.

By their behaviour, they feel nothing for the game and know even less.

Indeed - the SRU were quick to condemn the behaviour and comments.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Hmm, not quite match-related, but I stumbled across this earlier. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43235314
Eddie Jones (England's head coach) got verbally abused on public transport on Sunday, after the Calcutta Cup defeat at Murrayfield on Saturday; once at Manchester Oxford Road, and again between Man Picc and London Euston. As a result of this, when asked about using public transport, he said "I'll make sure I won't in future. It's as simple as that".
And I have to say, I'm not entirely surprised.
The attitude of those abusive "fans" (even if they were rugby supporters) sickens me. No coach should have to face that level of abuse, on or off the pitch.

Awful behavior, they are not fans at all, (I wonder why he was coming via that routing.?)

Butts

Veteran Member
As expected Ireland hammer Scotland 28-8 :oops: - normal service is resumed !!

More suprisingly France beat England to end their title hopes and as expected the Taffs put Italy in their place.

Hmmm....The Taffs slaughter the Jocks then lose to England and they subsequently lose to Scotland - figure that one out.