• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rugby Union

richw

Veteran Member
England conceded 17 penalties, completely unacceptable for elite players who should know the laws. Much similar to against Scotland the previous game.
The game I reffed on Saturday I only gave 15 penalties spread between both teams, it was a game in the very bottom league. So if these inexperienced low level players can comply with the laws of the game, I expect elite professionals to do so.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
As expected Ireland hammer Scotland 28-8 :oops: - normal service is resumed !!

More suprisingly France beat England to end their title hopes and as expected the Taffs put Italy in their place.

Hmmm....The Taffs slaughter the Jocks then lose to England and they subsequently lose to Scotland - figure that one out.
Yep - back to the WTT for Townsend's lads. There were so many lost opportunities in that match - "so many lost opportunities" should really be the story of the Scotland Away Matches. :'( Ireland were very worthy victors though - and (unlike West Ham) Scotland were, as ever, showing exemplary attitudes of grace in defeat.

The French win over the English was very unexpected though. I told a half-French, quarter-Irish friend of mine the news and she said she'd never been happier to hear any rugby score!
With regards to the Taffs putting Italy in their place - surely they were kept there?:p

59CosG95

Established Member
Just watched the Italy - Scotland fixture. Nail-biting from start to finish, and all to play for throughout the course of the game. Tommy Allan got a well-deserved MotM; but my biggest kudos has to go to Greig Laidlaw for that 37m penalty kick in the final 5 minutes that got the Scots the lead, and Hogg's try for getting the Bonus Point. The score of ITA 27 - 29 SCO was more than I think anyone was hoping for, especially after Italy's strong first half!

59CosG95

Established Member
Indeed, we have ended with three wins out of five but it still seems a bit flat :oops:
Yep - we still need to mobilise our team enough to be a force away as well as one at home. I imagine the June Tests & Autumn Internationals will be where Townsend's going to be watching Schmidt, Jones, Gatland et al like a hawk to pick up on the tactics of the rival Home Nations.
We should be facing the Welsh & Irish at Murrayfield next year, but Jones' squad at Twickenham is a force to be reckoned with...

Butts

Veteran Member
Yep - we still need to mobilise our team enough to be a force away as well as one at home. I imagine the June Tests & Autumn Internationals will be where Townsend's going to be watching Schmidt, Jones, Gatland et al like a hawk to pick up on the tactics of the rival Home Nations.
We should be facing the Welsh & Irish at Murrayfield next year, but Jones' squad at Twickenham is a force to be reckoned with...

Living in Wales and being a Scotland supporter I am still recovering from that debacle and the subsequent ribbing from my Welsh Associates !!!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Aviva Premiership

Sale Sharks 58...Worcester Warriors 25

I always look forward to any Sale match against Worcester, as we tend to do well against them. I was not to be disappointed as Sale scored eight tries, all scored by different players and scored 29 points in both halves of the match. Sale now mid-table in sixth position.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Aviva Premiership

Sale Sharks 28...Wasps 27

Wasps have still to win on the home ground of Sale in the Premiership, but Wasps really started well and looked every inch a top-three side and were leading 17-0 in the first half and 17-15 at the break. Exchanges of tries and penalties in the second half followed and Wasps still led until the last minute, then Marland Yarde scored the match winning try to win the match for Sale, who outscored Wasps by four tries to three. Sale now in fifth position in the Premiership table.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Aviva Premiership

Sale Sharks 28...Wasps 27

Wasps have still to win on the home ground of Sale in the Premiership, but Wasps really started well and looked every inch a top-three side and were leading 17-0 in the first half and 17-15 at the break. Exchanges of tries and penalties in the second half followed and Wasps still led until the last minute, then Marland Yarde scored the match winning try to win the match for Sale, who outscored Wasps by four tries to three. Sale now in fifth position in the Premiership table.
What a shame, so close.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Aviva Premiership

Newcastle Falcons 35...Sale Sharks 30

This Friday night match between 5th and 6th was a good advert for open and attacking Rugby and Newcastle raced into a 25-0 lead and were still leading 25-14 at the break. Sale then continued to press and were leading 27-25 at the start of the final quarter before Newcastle reproduced their early match pressing. Newcastle won the try count by 5 to 3.

The result saw Newcastle move up to third place with Sale remaining in sixth place.

Wigan,United Kingdon and Kingswood Nsw, Australia
Israel Folau is rumoured to not be being offered a new contract by the Australian Rugby union for his latest anti gay comments.

Qantas are currently reviewing there sponsorship of the entire sporting code of union due to Folau and the inaction of both the Waratahs and the ARU to reprimand him properly especially after the fact the Qantas chairman is Gay and one of the main sponsors of the ARU and they have some involvement with the Tah's i think

The_Train

Established Member
Bristol Bears have marked their return to top flight rugby with a 17-10 victory over West Country rivals Bath in front of an excellent crowd in excess of 25,000 at Ashton Gate. Will be interesting to see if they can build on this and avoid an immediate relegation as occurred the last time they made it to the big time.

The_Train

Established Member
Guessing there isn't much of a union fanbase on here then? :E

The Premiership season is already 3 games old but the table is already looking ominous with both of last seasons finalists already at the top and unbeaten. Having already beaten 2 teams who will have undoubted hopes for a top 4 finish in Leicester and Wasps, Exeter dismantled Sale at the weekend to claim yet another bonus point victory. Champions Saracens have probably had the easier of starts but have done the job in beating Newcastle, Bristol and Northampton. Despite early season defeats for both Wasps and Leicester I fancy these 2 to make up the top 4 this season as both are playing good rugby and scoring well (as proven yesterday), both just needing to work on their defensive systems a little bit.

Despite that bright start, Bristol are now finding the going tough and are mine (and everybody else's) favourites for relegation. Worcester seem to be competing but struggling to pick up points and Harlequins seem to have picked up where they left off last season. The big question is could Bath be a surprise candidate for a relegation scrap? They crept into the top 6 last season despite a shocking 2nd half of the season and haven't started this season much better. I'm sure they will do enough to avoid a scrap at the bottom but top 6 aspirations could be a struggle for a club with expectations to challenge for the top 4

UP13

I'm a big union fan, and possibly one of the few (if only) people on here who still play senior rugby.

I expect this season to be another Saracens v Exeter for the title. I think relegation will be between Worcester and Harlequins, possibly Newcastle...

The_Train

Established Member
I'm a big union fan, and possibly one of the few (if only) people on here who still play senior rugby.

I expect this season to be another Saracens v Exeter for the title. I think relegation will be between Worcester and Harlequins, possibly Newcastle...

I've never played it and nor do I think I ever could. Only properly got into it over the last few years (always watched internationals - well since England won the World Cup but now very much into the club side of it) and feel as though I still have a lot to learn.

I think you're right about the title challengers but I think the relegation situation could be more open than in recent seasons. Worcester seem able to compete with the majority of sides but are unable to convert that competitiveness into wins. Harlequins will certainly be involved in the relegation battle as their change in management seems to have done nothing. I'm interested by your thoughts about Newcastle though as they were a revelation last season- would be quite the tale to go from competing for top 4 one season to relegated the next

UP13

Depends if last season was a flash in the pan for Newcastle. I think Bristol were relegated only a few short years after making the play-offs. I remember Sale winning the title being a one off season and to a lesser degree when Quins won (although they won a trophy three years running).

UP13

Points of discussion after yesterday's games (I didn't get to watch any of them)?

The_Train

Established Member
Nor did I unfortunately although my outside tip for a relegation battle, Bath, have won their 2 games since I said that :lol:

Bristol beating Quins is quite significant as not only does it start to create a gap between them but also shows that, in front of big crowds at Ashton Gate, Bristol could be a tough encounter for anyone at home

richw

Veteran Member

I was forced to retire at 28, dislocating my shoulder at any contact.
I have now qualified as a referee, although work has restricted my availability in recent times. I’ve got my first game of the season this afternoon.
When not reffing I’d rather watch grass routes than elite rugby. In fact I must admit to having very little interest in the elite level, I can’t remember the last premiership game I watched!

SwindonBert

We'll see today if another team can break the expected Sarries Exeter stranglehold on the league as Glaws, who the bookies have as 3rd favourites, visit Sarries. Also, the side issue of who is the England no 10

The_Train

Established Member
We'll see today if another team can break the expected Sarries Exeter stranglehold on the league as Glaws, who the bookies have as 3rd favourites, visit Sarries. Also, the side issue of who is the England no 10

I'm looking forward to seeing if Gloucester can realise their potential this afternoon. Certainly got a team capable of competing for the top 4 but it's about transferring that capability into wins against the top sides

The_Train

Established Member
I'm looking forward to seeing if Gloucester can realise their potential this afternoon. Certainly got a team capable of competing for the top 4 but it's about transferring that capability into wins against the top sides

Well that was answered in pretty emphatic fashion. Story of today has to be Worcester taking the points at Leicester in what sounds like hell of a match with tries, tries and more tries. My early season predictions are not looking all that great right now :lol:

UP13

Quins will be looking over their shoulders after that fantastic upset at Welford Road.

UP13

You can add Sale Sharks to that list if matters needing addressing, such as competent goal-kicking, are not urgently addressed.

Quins did themselves a maasive favour at Gloucester. Sale are not looking good but they always seem to win enough home games to get by.

The_Train

Established Member
Quins did themselves a maasive favour at Gloucester. Sale are not looking good but they always seem to win enough home games to get by.

Pretty much this with regards to Sale. I bet Worcester are feeling the pressure a bit having seen Quins beat Gloucester last weekend, particularly as it seems Bristol will pick points up at home

The_Train

Established Member
Just as a reminder for those of you who like me don't have subscription sports channels there is live Premiership rugby on channel 5 this afternoon as Leicester and Northampton go head to head at Twickenham. Programme starts at 1445 with kick off at 1500.

Then we have further live rugby on terrestrial tv next weekend as Channel 4 are showing live coverage of the European Champions Cup and have Bath v Toulouse next Saturday.

UP13

I was at Twickenham. Good win for Leicester. Harlequins nearly pulled off an almighty upset against Saracens. Gloucester managed a bonus point win at Wasps.

Things are getting interesting...