• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rugby Union

The_Train

Established Member
I was at Twickenham. Good win for Leicester. Harlequins nearly pulled off an almighty upset against Saracens. Gloucester managed a bonus point win at Wasps.

Things are getting interesting...

Hope you enjoyed the day apart from the weather. Was quite funny seeing Flats getting soaked whilst hosting for channel 5. I enjoyed watching the game although I felt that the occasion, obviously an important one for Horne and what he's gone through, kind of reduced the normally heated rivalry and meant it wasn't the sort of spectacle we've become used to between these 2 sides. That said, Leicester played well and deserved their win.

It's certainly getting interesting everywhere else. Glad to see Gloucester getting back on track as I'd like to see them break into the top 4 but to be fair it's anyone's guess right now at both ends of the table. Can't help but feel that today could be massive for Worcester

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Train

Established Member
How about that Harlequins try? Kick a penalty at goal, ball holds up in the wind and doesn't reach the line and Harlequins get to it first to turn a kick for 3 points into a try for 5 points. Never seen that before

The_Train

Established Member
The missed penalty from in front of the posts was bad enough, but then to cross the try line with a big smirk on his face and not bother to ground the ball for the try was unforgiveable.

I thought his kicking was pretty poor to be honest. Isn't Priestland generally renowned for his kicking ability?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Am I alone in thinking this long gap between the last time that anyone has played a Gallagher Premiership match and now seems to relegate this Premiership in its importance, when compared with its equivalent fixture lists in the round-ball game.

JamesT

Established Member
Am I alone in thinking this long gap between the last time that anyone has played a Gallagher Premiership match and now seems to relegate this Premiership in its importance, when compared with its equivalent fixture lists in the round-ball game.

I think it's more a result of the longer training and recovery times required between games in rugby. Footballers can play two international matches between a domestic game and another two weeks later. Whereas the rugby players would just be gearing up for their first on the second weekend.
I think it's more telling that top-flight domestic rugby is still being played whilst so many players are away on international duty, though I suppose that's inevitable when you have relatively protracted periods of internationals. Which probably circles back to my first point as you can't really have the internationals other than in a block like this.

UP13

Personally I'm enjoying no country and club clashes.

Also bodies take a heck of a while to recover. My body still hasn't recovered from a match 3 weeks ago (didn't help that I got conscripted to play last Saturday too).

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Gallagher English Premiership

Gloucester 15 ... Sale Sharks 30

An away fixture at third placed Gloucester was something that Sale had to face today and they were only just leading 17-10 at half-time, but kept up the pressure in the second half to win by a 15 point margin and they outscored Gloucester by four tries to two.

The_Train

Established Member

Gloucester 15 ... Sale Sharks 30

An away fixture at third placed Gloucester was something that Sale had to face today and they were only just leading 17-10 at half-time, but kept up the pressure in the second half to win by a 15 point margin and they outscored Gloucester by four tries to two.

One of a few surprising results from the weekend, none more so than Exeter losing at Northampton particularly considering how convincing they'd been against Saracens just a week before.

I don't think anyone can predict how the top 4 will look come the end of the season

UP13

Good comeback for Bristol too.

As a Quins fan I'm gobsmacked we're fourth.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'm enjoying the Gallagher much more than the Pro14 this season, though I suspect some of that is just because there are more games available to me to watch given the TV services we use :)

Some of it is also no doubt due to the Scarlets struggling a bit this season.

Anyway, both my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the Exeter and Saracens game before Christmas, and the more recent Bath v Leicester match up.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Sale Sharks 24 ... Saracens 18

This was another Sale match over the festive season against a top three side, but their away win at Gloucester seemed to have installed more self-belief in Sale, but even so, Saracens had won 10 of their 11 Premiership matches this season. The kicking ability of Rob du Preez seemed to be the difference between the two teams, as he scored 14 of the Sale points.

UP13

Very good result for Sale.

Keep this up and they'll be in the playoffs.

Having said that Gloucester were looking equally strong only a short while ago so hopefully (for Sale fans) this isn't another short burst of good form.

From a Quins perspective I hope we don't follow our Wasps victory with a defeat to Newcastle. It was about a year ago when we beat Saracens then lost at home to Newcastle a week later...

In other news Ken Owens is playing 8 for the Scarlets...

The_Train

Established Member
It's probably too soon to start talking about a club other than Exeter or Saracens winning the Premiership but it's certainly nice to see other clubs competing against them

UP13

Being honest outside those two clubs it has been dire except for Gloucester and Sale in patches.

I remember last weekend when Quins were 4th we were closer in points to 11th place than we were to 2nd place...

The_Train

Established Member
Well the Worcester-Bath tie looked interesting. Bath reduced to 11 men and Worcester pinch it with a try in the 94th minute

UP13

Didn't watch any of the matches yesterday as I was playing (got a fresh set of stud marks on my left calf). I will look forward to watching the Worcester highlights.

JamesT

Established Member
I didn’t expect that. Hoped for an England win today, but a bonus point victory in Dublin? Fantastic stuff.

UP13

France are idiots.

England result was amazing.

Did anybody see the Paddy Power billboards in Dublin before the game?

Modron

Does anybody know what the outcome of today's meeting about the proposal to make the Gallagher Premiership a no promotion to/no relegation from league?

I would be interested to see what would happen if a top-flight side suddenly went 'pop' and they had to then promote a side from the Championship...

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Does anybody know what the outcome of today's meeting about the proposal to make the Gallagher Premiership a no promotion to/no relegation from league?

I would be interested to see what would happen if a top-flight side suddenly went 'pop' and they had to then promote a side from the Championship...

The only news that I have traced was an announcement by a spokesperson for Premiership Rugby that the matter in discussion would be on their agenda of the next Premiership Rugby board meeting on 9th April when an update would be announced. I personally have worries about the agenda of the private equity company who recently took a £200 million minority stake in Premiership Rugby, noting their already-existing involvement in Formula 1 motor racing.

Modron

The only news that I have traced was an announcement by a spokesperson for Premiership Rugby that the matter in discussion would be on their agenda of the next Premiership Rugby board meeting on 9th April when an update would be announced. I personally have worries about the agenda of the private equity company who recently took a £200 million minority stake in Premiership Rugby, noting their already-existing involvement in Formula 1 motor racing.

Me too, I have to say that I don't like what is being suggested.

Promotion and relegation should always be offered between leagues, otherwise what is the point?

JamesT

Established Member
Argh. Scotland revert to normal. Attack well, then at some point cough the ball up cheaply and relieve all the pressure. Yes, Ireland are masters at suffocating opponents and forcing mistakes, but we really should be able to do better than this.
Scotland 13 - 22 Ireland

Modron

Wales make history, although quite a disjointed performance imo.

Need to go up the gears as England will take some stopping.