• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rugby Union

UP13

The Italy v Wales women's game looked like a thriller. 3-3 draw...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JamesT

Established Member
The Italy v Wales women's game looked like a thriller. 3-3 draw...

Although there was a lack of actual scoring, I found it a gripping match. The Italians especially had the chances and just couldn’t put them away.
The tournament decider is almost certainly tomorrow in Doncaster. But I think Italy would be hoping to end up best of the rest as their ranking would suggest - https://www.world.rugby/rankings/wru?lang=en

UP13

Both the England men's and women's team look like strong favourites now.

I think whoever wins in Cardiff next week will win the Grand Slam. The Welsh will be very motivated by the idea of binging us crashing back down to Earth...

thejuggler

I was at Castle Park today. England bossed it in the first half and showed some great rugby skills.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I watched the England game today while doing some work. England played very well with some very intelligent kicking. However I detest the way professional rugby players call the referee sir. It is so infantile, demeaning and servile.

UP13

I watched the England game today while doing some work. England played very well with some very intelligent kicking. However I detest the way professional rugby players call the referee sir. It is so infantile, demeaning and servile.

Would you rather they crowd round him and scream in his face like professional footballers?

The ref is an authority figure - sir is a very appropriate way to address him.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Would you rather they crowd round him and scream in his face like professional footballers?

The ref is an authority figure - sir is a very appropriate way to address him.

Those are the only two choices are they? Servile pathetic individuals or oiks louts.

Top level Rugby Union is a professional game played by men. it is not a game played as a bit of fun by doctors and solicitors and accountants in their spare time. Why not treat the people involved as individuals and professionals rather than naughty school boys. The refs don't seem to offer the same respect in return referring to players as number 7. This inherent position of respect thing really annoys me. Respect is earnt not assumed.

As an aside I played a decent level of club rugby for many years. I was a prop or hooker. I enjoyed the game of Rugby. It is an aggressive, physical sport. It is hamstrung by dull tradition and even duller blazers.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Gallaher English Premiership

Wasps 18 ... Sale Sharks 24

After last weeks "total and utter trouncing" away to Northampton Saints, Sale faced yet another tricky away fixture away at higher-placed league side Wasps, but this time showed a more determined game plan in operation after the lessons learned last time out and this time they were awarded with a good away win. That result now sees Sale in eighth place in the league.

UP13

England got what they deserved against Wales. Kicking game didn't work against a real fullback and there was no plan b.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
England got what they deserved against Wales. Kicking game didn't work against a real fullback and there was no plan b.

Indeed. Two massive moments of the game for me - the first 10 - 15 minutes of the second half where England failed to score any points whilst Wales were pulling it back to 9-10 and the first Welsh try where we succeeded in going through the phases - had we not scored then it could well have knocked some confidence out of us after doing so well to keep up the pressure.

UP13

England have a history of losing these games, whilst Wales have a history of winning them, especially against England.

Butts

Veteran Member
Well as we reach the climax of the Six Nations can Wales achieve The Grand Slam by putting Ireland to the sword , or will England sneak in and thwart Welsh ambitions ?

The_Train

Established Member
I can't see Ireland beating Wales, they just haven't looked like the side that has been so dominant over the last year or so

richw

Veteran Member
As above I don’t see Ireland winning in Cardiff. Had it been in Dublin I’d maybe have a different view.

JamesT

Established Member
I thought Ireland would have made it more of a contest. Really really poor.

Butts

Veteran Member
As a Scotland supporter in Wales many congratulations to my fellow Celts on putting Ireland to the sword ...

A well deserved Grand Slam !!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Hopefully someone will put the Welsh back into their little box during the world cup, if it wasn't for the French collapsing during the first week

The_Train

Established Member
Hopefully someone will put the Welsh back into their little box during the world cup, if it wasn't for the French collapsing during the first week

Wales will falter on the big stage.

When is Gatland leaving?

UP13

Wales deserved winners. Won all their games and handled pressure well.

England are chokers - couldn't handle pressure from Wales or Scotland.

Ireland - a shadow of their former selves. Couldn't handle England or Wales and unconvincing in their wins.

Scotland - lacked killer instinct.

France - let's not go there...

World Cup has come at right time for Wales. It has come one year too late for Ireland.

gswindale

Best defence in the tournament.

If you don't concede points, then winning becomes easier.

England look good in attack, but their defence needs a lot of work before the world cup.

thejuggler

Its looking like Farrell is captain because he's the only player the coach is likely to keep on for the full game.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Gallagher English Premiership

Sale Sharks 28 ... Harlequins 17

Fourth-place Harlequins have no one to blame but their own ill discipline for this defeat, as they conceded almost four times as many penalties as Sale in this match and Sale held a narrow half time lead of 19-14, but Sale then held their nerve in the second half and their USA international A J Mc Ginty kicked a total of seven penalties. Sale now lie in fifth place in the league table.

Last edited:

JamesT

Established Member
Saracens 32 - 16 Munster

Saracens deservedly into the final. Had control for most of the match and didn’t let Munster have much of a sniff until it was too late. Farrell kept the score ticking over until we finally found the gaps in the Munster defence in the second half for a couple of tries.

Disappointed by the turnout though, stadium was only about half full and that was mostly Munster fans. I wonder if the engineering work on the WCML had any effect, I chose to drive.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Gallagher English Premiership

Sale Sharks 46 ... Gloucester 41

The visit of third-placed Gloucester was eagerly anticipated and Gloucester played their part well in the attacking game and led 26-24 at half time. The second half continued in the same vein with both sides playing good attacking rugby to the final whistle. No less than thirteen tries were scored, seven by Sale (all by different players) and six by Gloucester.

The_Train

Established Member
So it's Exeter vs Saracens in the Premiership final.......who'd have guessed that? :lol:

Just hope Exeter can beat them as I can't stand Saracens