• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rule book quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.

NKBLTD

1/ How many lines are you allowed to cross that are open, whilst only holding pts and you are alone?

2/ Same question with a COSS and three PTS holders?

3/ When are you supposed to check railway fog signals (detonators)?

4/ Positions of safety at
a)0-100
b) 101-125
c) >125
Think about c)
5/ Seperated green zone, minimum distance with COSS + 1 and no site warden?

6/ Level crossing, CCTV, bang road (wrong direction for all you newbies) what coloured flag would you recieve from the LC attendant?

7/ When is a route setting agent required to be appointed?

8/ In the 1950 edition of the rule book, was it allowable to raise two arms above your head to indicate to a driver to stop in an emergency situation?

9/ Whilst carrying out emergency detonator protection of the line, upon reaching a tunnel, what should you do? Answer in full without refernce to th rule book module G1 page 33-35.

10/In enginers line reference, what does the following mean?
a) BHL
b) VOG
c) VON
d) DCL (easy one)
e) SWM (another easy one)
f) NDN

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
1/ How many lines are you allowed to cross that are open, whilst only holding pts and you are alone?

2/ Same question with a COSS and three PTS holders?

3/ When are you supposed to check railway fog signals (detonators)?
Every 5 years and every September. damaged or out of date dets should be returned to the issuing point/manager

a)0-100 1.25m
b) 101-125 2m
c) >125 2.75m
Think about c)
5/ Seperated green zone, minimum distance with COSS + 1 and no site warden?

6/ Level crossing, CCTV, bang road (wrong direction for all you newbies) what coloured flag would you recieve from the LC attendant?
Green, providing the barriers are down and crossing is clear.

7/ When is a route setting agent required to be appointed?
During a failure affecting multiple points or during a "complex" points failure.

8/ In the 1950 edition of the rule book, was it allowable to raise two arms above your head to indicate to a driver to stop in an emergency situation?
At a guess...yes?

9/ Whilst carrying out emergency detonator protection of the line, upon reaching a tunnel, what should you do? Answer in full without refernce to th rule book module G1 page 33-35.
Place 3 dets at the entrance/exit if tunnel is before full protection distance other wise continue into the tunnel and place 3 dets at the entrance/exit

a) BHL
b) VOG
c) VON
d) DCL (easy one)
e) SWM (another easy one)
f) NDN

Email [email protected]

Only know a few (well I think I know;)) off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Ferret

Established Member
If that was in the rules exam I'll be sitting next year, GB would be minus a mark for failing to mention that the dets should be 20 yards apart! Soz mate - I know I'm being pedantic!:)

GB

Established Member
If that was in the rules exam I'll be sitting next year, GB would be minus a mark for failing to mention that the dets should be 20 yards apart! Soz mate - I know I'm being pedantic!:)

Lol:lol:

NKBLTD

Q3 I was looking for the first week in September. But what other month did the rule book used to state?

Q4, now a position of safety is associated with red zone, what are you not allowed to do >125mph, work red zone. So to answer that correctly you should have said red zone working is banned over 125. However, there is no withdrawl of >125 position of safety, the ban on red zone working over 125 superceeds this and can be withdrawn at any time.

Q9, the correct answer is if the full protection distance falls within the tunnel, then place three dets (yes, 20yards apart) then proceed through the tunnnel. This means if the full protection distance is the other side of the tunnel, then you can walk around.

The other answers are correct.

GB

Established Member
Q4, now a position of safety is associated with red zone, what are you not allowed to do >125mph, work red zone. So to answer that correctly you should have said red zone working is banned over 125. However, there is no withdrawl of >125 position of safety, the ban on red zone working over 125 superceeds this and can be withdrawn at any time.

Is that stated in module G2?

Anyway, to keep the ball rolling, some more easy ones...

1- Can a train Propel within a worksite and when?
2- When can a T3 possession be taken round a train?
3- Do AHB/CCTV/MCB crossings need to be taken under local control during a possession of the line?
4- How many types of T2 protection are there? Name them for extra credit;)
5- What is the maximum permissable speed for a train with a non operable headlight?
6- What is a RIO and whats is its function?
7- What is a RT3973 form and how many types are there?. Name them for extra credit ;)
8- What must the driver of an engineering train have in his possesion before leaving a worksite/possession and who issues it?
9 -What is a command structure and what does it consist of?

Last edited:

NKBLTD

Is that stated in module G2?

Anyway, to keep the ball rolling, some more easy ones...

1- Can a train Propel within a worksite and when? yes
2- When can a T3 possession be taken round a train? Stabled
3- Do AHB/CCTV/MCB crossings need to be taken under local control during a possession of the line? yes
4- How many types of T2 protection are there? Name them for extra credit;) T2 A=TCOD. T2 D=Disconnection. T2H=Handsignaller or det protection. T2 T Token, tokenless (acceptance switch to normal) Absolute block to train on line. T2x emergency
5- What is the maximum permissable speed for a train with a non operable headlight? 40mph at a guess
6- What is a RIO and whats is its function? Railway incident officer, liase with emergency service and other regulatory bodies (RIAB, HMRI, EA), arrange the protection, site safety. preserve evidence.
7- What is a RT3973 form and how many types are there?. Name them for extra credit ;) Safe loading of wagons
8- What must the driver of an engineering train have in his possesion before leaving a worksite/possession and who issues it? RT3973-ES
9 -What is a command structure and what does it consist of?
Gold, silver and bronze, Gold what will be done, silver how it will be done and bronze is on site doing it.

Not, it is not stated in G2. There is no >125 stated, it has been withdrawn because the ban on red zone working has supeceeded this.

Last edited:

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating
1/ How many lines are you allowed to cross that are open, whilst only holding pts and you are alone? Depends how fast you can run

2/ Same question with a COSS and three PTS holders. depends how fast the slowest person can run

3/ When are you supposed to check railway fog signals (detonators)? get some-one else to do it, I am playing cards

a)0-100 in the beer garden
b) 101-125 at the bar
c) >125 under the bar
Think about c)
5/ Seperated green zone, minimum distance with COSS + 1 and no site warden? dont like green

6/ Level crossing, CCTV, bang road (wrong direction for all you newbies) what coloured flag would you recieve from the LC attendant? purple with orange spots

7/ When is a route setting agent required to be appointed? when it wont dry quick enough

8/ In the 1950 edition of the rule book, was it allowable to raise two arms above your head to indicate to a driver to stop in an emergency situation? not if you had sweaty armpits

9/ Whilst carrying out emergency detonator protection of the line, upon reaching a tunnel, what should you do? Answer in full without refernce to th rule book module G1 page 33-35. light a fag so you can see where you are going

a) BHL big hairy lad
b) VOG volunteers only grovel
c) VON volunteers only needed
d) DCL (easy one) dont carry large (items)
e) SWM (another easy one) short wide man
f) NDN no decent news

How did I do

GB

Established Member
1 - Yes. when previously published/authorised

2 - When previously published...ie you cant take a possession around just any old train that happens to be there. There has to be prior authority.

3 - No, they only need to be under local control if they are likely to be affected by the work or if there are movements in the wrong direction when the crossings do not have wrong direction controls.

4 - Correct

5 - Now I could be wrong on this but I always thought it was 20mph

6 - Correct

7 - An RT3973 is advice to train crew and gives details of routes that must be complied with as well as any speed restrictions. There are 4 types...
RT3973 CON - Dealing with containers and Swap Bodies
RT3973 HAW - Dealing with Heavy Axle Weight trains
RT3973 NUC - Dealing with Nuclear trains
RT3973 EXL - Dealing with exceptional loads (such as tube stock on NR infustructure)

8 - I was looking for a Certificate Of Readiness. But you are correct on being issued by the ES. An RT3973 only needs to be issued if the train consists of one or more of the above (question 7).

9 - Correct

O L Leigh

Established Member
These are all very specific questions relating to possessions and other activities pertaining to trackworkers, so a humble driver such as myself won't know the answers to most of them.

Your POS question earlier in the thread was not answered incorrectly by GB, as the POS on lines where the permitted speed is above 125mph is indeed 2.75m (9 feet), as stated in Module G2 Para 3.2. Any restrictions on red zone working on such lines is a separate issue, as these distances are required to be known by anyone whose job can take them on or near the line.

O L Leigh

NKBLTD

These are all very specific questions relating to possessions and other activities pertaining to trackworkers, so a humble driver such as myself won't know the answers to most of them.

Your POS question earlier in the thread was not answered incorrectly by GB, as the POS on lines where the permitted speed is above 125mph is indeed 2.75m (9 feet), as stated in Module G2 Para 3.2. Any restrictions on red zone working on such lines is a separate issue, as these distances are required to be known by anyone whose job can take them on or near the line.

O L Leigh

Just add greater than 125 is still 9' or 2.75m, it is not taught in track safety courses because the ban on red zone applies, if this ban continues, then in the not to distant future I am sure it will be removed from the rule. I don't think there is anywhere where >125 applies. Before anyone Answersm, CTRL is dealt with seperately for track safety.

Nigel Brown

GB

Established Member
1 - Maximum speed for a light loco? (there are two answers here)
2- Maximuim speed for a class 7 train?
3- Maximum speed during SLW for trains in the wrong direction?
4- How many SLUs is 21 meters?

driver9000

Established Member
1 - Maximum speed for a light loco? (there are two answers here)
2- Maximuim speed for a class 7 train?
3- Maximum speed during SLW for trains in the wrong direction?
4- How many SLUs is 21 meters?

1. 75mph for lines with PSR over 90mph, 60mph for lines with PSR below 85mph*
2. 35mph
3. 50mph
4. 1

*only one I looked in the Rulebook for :oops:

Legzr1

*Example :

You're detained at a (controlled) red signal.
Signal post telephone has a yellow roundel.
No reception on NRN,GSM or mobile phone.
Driver of approaching train stops,confirms who you are by giving you your headcode and informs you that you have authority to pass the signal at danger.

Do you pass it?

The majority said yes!

Last edited:

Daniel

Established Member
*looks at thread*
*looks at rule book*
*looks at thread*
*looks at rule book*
...*throws rule book out the window*

Gah, this just isn't making sense ;D

NKBLTD

Sorry for bumping such an old thread but any of you passenger drivers (or anyone for that matter) got a long list of questions pertaining to the rule book,PON's,secional appendix etc please?

Freight driver here but need to brush up on rules generally and passenger stuff in particular - got an interview next week and apparently the HR team aren't too impressed with freight drivers distinct lack of rules knowledge* :roll:

More the merrier :D

*Example :

You're detained at a (controlled) red signal.
Signal post telephone has a yellow roundel.
No reception on NRN,GSM or mobile phone.
Driver of approaching train stops,confirms who you are by giving you your headcode and informs you that you have authority to pass the signal at danger.

Do you pass it?

The majority said yes!

I would say yes you are allowed to pass it, does the rule when you are at an auto signal allow you to pass it when it is at red? then you should be able to. The limited clearance sign on the SPT is the phone in the 6' or Cess?

Lots of variables.

good luck

Tomnick

Established Member
Controlled signal? I'd rather hope no-one would consider passing that on the authority of another Driver (and I'd equally hope that authority to pass it wouldn't be given via another Driver). Surely the Signalman would instruct the Driver of the passing train to inform the Driver of the first train that he'd made arrangements to ensure that it was safe to use the SPT?

Legzr1

Controlled signal? I'd rather hope no-one would consider passing that on the authority of another Driver (and I'd equally hope that authority to pass it wouldn't be given via another Driver). Surely the Signalman would instruct the Driver of the passing train to inform the Driver of the first train that he'd made arrangements to ensure that it was safe to use the SPT?

...is the correct answer.

NKBLTD said:
I would say yes you are allowed to pass it, does the rule when you are at an auto signal allow you to pass it when it is at red? then you should be able to.

The main points in the question are the distintion between 'controlled' and 'auto' signals and the problem of limited clearance.

Never* pass a controlled signal at danger without authority (be that signaller,handsignaler,PIC etc).

Auto,semi-auto and IBH signals can be passed at danger with the drivers own authority but only in certain circumstances (no contact available with signaller,route set correctly,any groundframes set in correct position etc).

*There are occasions when a controlled signal can be passed without authority - anyone know when?

NKBLTD said:
good luck

Thanks.

I have a feeling i'm gonna need it :|

Any questions please?

"out of the ordinary" is what i'm looking for.

Cab pass colour questions are fine (and can be tricky if you've never seen them) but stuff about block failures,emergency protection,temp block working and the like are the things I need stretching on :)

Last edited:

Zoe

Established Member
Auto,semi-auto and IBS signals can be passed at danger with the drivers own authority but only in certain circumstances (no contact available with signaller,route set correctly,any groundframes set in correct position etc).
So if the box in rear had an IBS signal blocking back wouldn't be allowed then?

Legzr1

Sorry,typo - that should read "IBH" not IBS - i'll edit the post.

Not sure what the rest of your question means - blocking back?

Tomnick

Established Member
Taking the example of two boxes, "A" and "B", with a set of IB signals in the section between them, presumably Zoe refers to the situation where the train hasn't been accepted from B (and is therefore detained at A's IBH) because of a movement at B 'blocking back' outside his home signal. If the train detained at A's IBH subsequently passes that signal on the Driver's own authority, there's the slight possibility of it approaching B's home signal at the same time as the movement at B shunts back into the section - the fact that the two movements are in opposite directions on the same line sets it apart from the 'more likely' situation of the train passing A's IBH encountering the previous train detained (stationary!) at B's home signal.

I believe there's such a signalled 'blocking back outside' movement at Brocklesby (back into the Up section from Barnetby, towards a Limit of Shunt indicator). However, the route wasn't commissioned (at least not initially), apparently owing to the presence of Barnetby's IBH in the rear section. I don't know whether anything has changed recently; I seem to remember the designation of that signal being changed to "second starter" or something in Barnetby 'box, and presumably the IBH plates were removed 'on the ground'. There's nothing generally (i.e. in the Rule Book) preventing such a 'blocking back outside' movement though.

Mickyp

You can pass a controlled signal off your own back on absolute block if it's determined for sure that the signal box and groundframe are definitely closed and you have ensured that the route is set for the direction you need to proceed in. You must stop at the next signal and attempt to use the spt there regardless of aspect. If at any point you can't determine the signal box is definitely closed you wait. Until you rot if need be lol

CarterUSM

Established Member
You can pass a controlled signal off your own back on absolute block if it's determined for sure that the signal box and groundframe are definitely closed and you have ensured that the route is set for the direction you need to proceed in. You must stop at the next signal and attempt to use the spt there regardless of aspect. If at any point you can't determine the signal box is definitely closed you wait. Until you rot if need be lol

In addition, reset the DRA, override the TPWS, give one long blast on the horn, when/if passing over facing points, switch diamonds or swing nose crossings, do not exceed 15mph (tunnel 10mph). I get that question in my rules although i am merely a conductor. :D

Mickyp

I only know that because I'm on that section on my rules course at the moment lol. Got my exam tomorrow.

Legzr1

when/if passing over facing points, switch diamonds or swing nose crossings, do not exceed 15mph (tunnel 10mph). I get that question in my rules although i am merely a conductor. :D

Very good (and you too Micky ;))

It's worth mentioning that module AM now states "All points" rather than just 'facing'.

Tunnels - do not enter unless you can see the whole length is clear.

I'm just back from a 2 hour grilling (funnily titled as 'Interview') - I did ok but I got asked some stinkers :(

Add in the pressure of a panel interview and your mind plays some strange tricks and one second your thinking "RT3184,temp block working,handsignaller at either end...." then your thoughts instantly turn to "Curry for tea tonight or will be cooking something" - well,my mind did anyway.

(the answer was Curry btw)

Status
Not open for further replies.