• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rules and current situation regarding train travel to Belgium and Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

colondee

Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I had similar questions about trips I took this summer and a friend suggested I register here to ask, but I found what I needed elsewhere so I ended up not posting and just lurking for the past few months.

I am planning a trip to the European mainland in December (as long as English law permits) but I am not entirely sure of the rules and how they are enforced.

I actually want to go to Switzerland but I have a Eurostar ticket to Brussels which I was unable to use in summer. Unfortunately the travel rules in regards to the COVID situation kept getting worse so I have been pushing the date forward every 2 weeks, but I am getting fed up of this and just want to use up the ticket.

Switzerland is changing its quarantine rules tomorrow so passing through Belgium will be OK, and once I get to CH I should be free to go where I like. Therefore I am considering taking ICE 19 from Brussels (1825) to Cologne (2015) then ICE 209 from Cologne (2353) to Basel (0610). I have taken this train before and slept well. The early arrival means I could make maximum use of a Swiss Saver Day Pass.

Belgium requires incoming passengers to fill in a locator form which may result in a quarantine order. But the PLF is not required if arriving by train and staying for less than 48 hours. The Eurostar arrives in Brussels at 11am, does this mean I am free to travel within Belgium for 7 hours, or are there police checks on arrival? I am aware many things will be closed but I want to take a few short domestic train trips and walks.

Germany considers the UK and Belgium high-risk areas so incoming travellers must quarantine, but transit is allowed provided that you leave Germany immediately. Passengers must notify their details on a website, but it is not clear if this applies to transit? Are there checks by German police when the train arrives into Germany? Also it looks like each German state has its own regulations regarding quarantine and transit, but my German is not good enough to find this information.

I have read that overnight stays are not allowed for transiting passengers so I am not sure if this night train counts as an overnight stay? Furthermore, the 3 hour wait at Köln Hbf means I would not leave Germany immediately as there is an earlier ICE to Switzerland, but arriving at 1am which is not ideal. I assume that technically I should not be going for a walk around Cologne or going into shops either, but not sure how this would be enforced; at the very least I would need to buy some food and a hot drink.

Alternatively I could just fly from Brussels (or fly directly from the UK, but as mentioned I want to use up my Eurostar ticket - I know I can get a cash voucher but would rather not) and also I would rather take the train if I won't get hassled.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanP

There is no rule against "overnight stays" in Germany. There is a so-called "accomodation ban". This means hotels and other accomodation providers are not allowed to rent out rooms to tourists. Tickets for overnight trains are so far as I know not included(although the sleeper trains are not running anyway).

erk

I travelled to and from Sicily in early October. Out via Belgium, Germany, Austria. Return via Switzerland, Germany, Belgium. The only checks were at London (outward) and Brussels (return).

Status
Not open for further replies.