• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Running out of tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That size of DB ticket is only what you get from ticket machines and possibly on-board sales. Ticket offices issue large-format ATB tickets (which are in some if not all cases printed as a tear-off from a sheet of A4 to allow a regular laser printer to be used).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

monsento

has anyone ever posted or suggested a nationwide oyster/itso where tickets are loaded onto a card, or picked up at gates by tagging on, see Oyster AT Hop etc

so wherever you go buy a ticket you tap the card at the machine on purchase or gate if bought online ticket appears on card, simples....

then all the guard would need is a reader and maybe one of those mobile izettle machines to sell ticketless passengers cards like we did in auckland.

doubtful of maori wardens being allowed to throw ticketless travellers of trains here though :)

pemma

Veteran Member
has anyone ever posted or suggested a nationwide oyster/itso where tickets are loaded onto a card, or picked up at gates by tagging on, see Oyster AT Hop etc

That might work if our ticketing system was straight forward.

If you touched in at Stockport and touched out at Newcastle would you be charged the fare for travelling via Sheffield or the fare for travelling via Manchester?

I suppose if that was resolved you could be charged the single fare and then charged the difference between the single and return fare if you make the return journey within 1 month.

However, what if your outbound journey and return journey were slightly different? For instance, if you do
Day 1: Stockport to Newcastle
Day 8: Newcastle to Sunderland
Day 14: Sunderland to Newcastle
What ticket(s) would you be charged

Dent

If ticket stocks really are getting low then this would be a good opportunity to introduce a new design that works better with the new ticket layouts.

najaB

Veteran Member
If you touched in at Stockport and touched out at Newcastle would you be charged the fare for travelling via Sheffield or the fare for travelling via Manchester?
ITSO ≠ PAYG.

You can load 'regular' point to point tickets and travel cards as well.

pemma

Veteran Member
Northern seem to have found some old 'Rail Settlement Plan' stock which has found it's way in to circulation.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I wonder if any unused stocks of the notorious K&J April 1987 issue might eventually re-surface...

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Slightly related... I was at hull Paragon this afternoon to make an enquiry about a journey I wanted to make and was surprised to see both a PORTIS and a SPORTIS machine in working order sitting on the work area behind the member of staff

Next thing I know, we'll be issued Edmonson tickets!

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Slightly related... I was at hull Paragon this afternoon to make an enquiry about a journey I wanted to make and was surprised to see both a PORTIS and a SPORTIS machine in working order sitting on the work area behind the member of staff

FSVO "working order" I assume, given the docking time limit? Unless they've got a DRU or SPMU to go with them.

34D

Established Member
I wonder if any unused stocks of the notorious K&J April 1987 issue might eventually re-surface...

Next thing I know, we'll be issued Edmonson tickets!

Sirs, you've both confused me. Please help explain the acronyms.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
And K&J that was the one that really stumped me?

K&J = one of the print codes on the backs of the tickets.

A large batch produced in April 1987 had a large percentage with defective magnetic strips. Ticket office staff told me at the time that they had so many complaints of the tickets not opening gates that the whole batch was withdrawn pretty quickly.

It should be stressed here and now that it is not necessarily the fault of the printer when something like this happens - poor protection in storage / transit can easily be a factor.

TEW

Established Member
Back to the original title of this thread. Epsom and Ashtead were unable to issue tickets this morning, due to a shortage of ticket stock.

TEW

Established Member
By telling people to buy on-board or at their destinations initially. I guess they sourced some ticket stock form elsewhere eventually.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Thanks for reply TEW. If necessary van they write out tickets these days or does it all need to be entered into a computer device and printed. Not saying they owned actually want to do this of course.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
By telling people to buy on-board or at their destinations initially. I guess they sourced some ticket stock form elsewhere eventually.

Would all guards have been notified about the station having run out of blank ticket stock?

RPM

Established Member
K&J = one of the print codes on the backs of the tickets.

A large batch produced in April 1987 had a large percentage with defective magnetic strips. Ticket office staff told me at the time that they had so many complaints of the tickets not opening gates that the whole batch was withdrawn pretty quickly.

It should be stressed here and now that it is not necessarily the fault of the printer when something like this happens - poor protection in storage / transit can easily be a factor.

K&J stands for Kenrick & Jefferson Ltd, one of several printing firms which supplied BR with APTIS ticket blanks. BR's multi-sourcing policy for tickets seems rather sensible in light of the current difficulties.

Status
Not open for further replies.