• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Running out of tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Don't worry; I'm not that bothered - it was just that one really simply because it has stuck in my mind for so many years ( 28!) since the problems at the time...

Back to the original title of this thread. Epsom and Ashtead were unable to issue tickets this morning, due to a shortage of ticket stock.

...and this morning 30th the entire Southern network of ticket machines has gone down - but at least the ticket offices have tickets! Queues are out of the doors, though:

http://www.epsomguardian.co.uk/news...er__network_wide__fault_with_ticket_machines/

Commuters have been advised to leave more time to travel this morning due to a "network-wide" fault with ticket machines.

If you don't have enough money on your Oyster Card or need to buy a ticket, you might find all ticket machines are out of order at your station this morning.

Southern Rail UK reported: "There is a network wide issue with ticket vending machines, please allow more time to purchase ticket from office, on board or destination."

Queues have been reported outside Epsom and Ashtead Stations.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

father_jack

K&J stands for Kenrick & Jefferson Ltd, one of several printing firms which supplied BR with APTIS ticket blanks. BR's multi-sourcing policy for tickets seems rather sensible in light of the current difficulties.

Bemrose Booth tickets had little or no problems for a long long time. Magnadata rocked up with lower prices. Cheaper couriers etc, the writing was on the wall before long.

I remember having to look at serial numbers to split tickets between tvms and windows - we could deal with bad tickets far more effectively on the windows as you might imagine. The worst was blank tickets from a tvm with the encode completely correct !!! I put them in the barriers to test them.

Bemrose Booth must be rubbing there hands in glee- and deservedly so. Service since they are supplying me has beeen impeccable particularly when they were at maximum capacity to catch up after Magnadata went pop.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Would all guards have been notified about the station having run out of blank ticket stock?

The same procedure would apply as if the ticket office were closed due to staff shortage, and there weren't any machines available.

If the guard didn't know, they'd just have to take everyone's word for it. I would expect them to know in this situation but it clearly isn't universally the case. The last time I went to Southampton I had a Southern Only ticket, but the guard didn't know SWT were accepting Southern tickets at the time.

Last edited:

RPM

Established Member
Bemrose Booth tickets had little or no problems for a long long time. Magnadata rocked up with lower prices. Cheaper couriers etc, the writing was on the wall before long.

I remember having to look at serial numbers to split tickets between tvms and windows - we could deal with bad tickets far more effectively on the windows as you might imagine. The worst was blank tickets from a tvm with the encode completely correct !!! I put them in the barriers to test them.

Bemrose Booth must be rubbing there hands in glee- and deservedly so. Service since they are supplying me has beeen impeccable particularly when they were at maximum capacity to catch up after Magnadata went pop.

I always thought highly of Bemrose Booth. I had a tour around their works in Hull many years ago - I think they were still Henry Booth Ltd then - and it seemed a highly professional operation.

sarahj

Established Member
We are using old stock at work. The little box for markings on the back has gone. Pity, as it was handy place for folks to sign for a CC payment.

DeeGee

So let's say I buy a ticket today for ToD on Saturday. Is there a chance that my medium sized provincial station might run out of stock?

Does the same stock go in the hoppers of the machines as in the ticket offices?

What would be prioritised? Office or machines?

And what if the machines are empty? How do I travel? Especially given that I may not have sufficient funds to cover the ticket having paid for the ticket in advance...

andrewkeith5

I have begun to notice that ticket stock quality has taken a significant drop in recent weeks and possibly months - the tickets I have been issued are almost paper compared to the card I am used to, they flex, bend and fold far more easily and feel ever so fragile.

I doubt that we will actually run out anytime soon, but I hope that they find a good quality supplier as I can see it costing more than it saves to keep issuing such low quality stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.