• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Russell T Davies to Return to Dr Who

Status
Not open for further replies.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
As reported by the BBC

BBCNews said:
Screenwriter Russell T Davies is to take charge again of Doctor Who, the sci-fi show he helped revive in 2005.
Davies, who was the fantasy drama's showrunner until 2009, will take over when Chris Chibnall departs next year.
"I'm beyond excited to be back on my favourite show," said Davies, who resumes his role as the show prepares to mark its 60th anniversary in 2023.
One of his first responsibilities will be to decide who takes over the Tardis following Jodie Whittaker's exit.

Personally I think this is excellent news. To my mind, the show has really lost its way under Chris Chibnall the last couple of years, in contrast to the amazing characters, stories and scriptwriting Russell T Davies was responsible when he revived Dr Who back in 2005. Maybe there will be another revival 8-)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

102 fan

Great news! It looks like the BBC has recognised the error they made.

Paul Jones 88

Good, in recent years, Dr Who has turned into a preaching, woke, PC pile of absolute rubbish.
Russell T Davis will hopefully reintroduce some decent storylines.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Good, in recent years, Dr Who has turned into a preaching, woke, PC pile of absolute rubbish.

Woke. sigh. So dull.

Dr Who has always been sanctimonious. That's the point! The character runs on moral superiority!

Alex 2901

You're joking, right?

The producer of shows like Years & Years, and It's a Sin, and you expect it to not be (in your own words) "preaching, woke, PC"?

Sure.

Then again, if you think that, you probably missed the various political messages during Russell T Davies's first run, or hell, the fact that fairly unsubtle political opinions in Doctor Who are definitely not a new thing. Hell, one of the few classic stories I've actually seen is the John Pertwee story, The Green Death, which is about environmental pollution eradiating the wildlife, and creating giant maggots in the process. (Yes, I really need to get round to watching more of the classic series.)

In my own thoughts, I'm seeing this as a double edged sword. On one side, the showrunner who wrote some of the most memorable episodes from my childhood is returning, which I'm definitely excited for.

On the other, it could be construed as being a fairly blatant attempt at appeasing everyone, with nothing particularly new.

Still, it'll be interesting to watch how this goes...

Trackman

Established Member
Davros must also return forthwith :E
I agree wholeheartedly and we need a Master that if anything resembles Roger Delgado.
I grew up in the Pertwee era and I was privileged to absorb and enjoy the wonderful golden era of Tom Baker at the time.
I watched a couple of series of the re-booted season but then soon lost interest.
Well, I hope RTD does well.. he needs to re-invent I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.