• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ryanair documentary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guinness

Established Member
Going to watch it. Finally something Ryanair's lawyers can't stop! :D

Andy

great i am off to austria with Ryanair tomorrow :shaking: help me if it is that bad

ChrisA

That was a very biased documentry. It all seemed to boil down to one pilot who was not pleased with Ryanairs rule book. They probably had legitimate reasons for their policies.

I've flown with Ryaniar plenty of times before and found them to be fine. The only thing that led me to believe they were a cheap airline was when i mentioned (quite loudly!!!) when they came round flogging their perfumes and stuff "why are they so damn expensive." To which i got the reply "because you paid very little for your ticket"

Touché

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Indeed. I've flown with Ryanair from CIA to Dublin before a couple of times, my sister many more times. If you go at the right times, it's insanely cheap. Plus if you get there early, you will get the chance to get on first, getting your choice of seat, so you don't have to be stuck next to a load of screaming kids in the middle of the plane and in the middle of three seats...

I did want to see that documentary, but I was busy getting haulage and more mileage in South Wales at the time.

Angus

The documentary wasn't particularly interesting really, and misssed the real issues at Ryanair. Looking behind the scenes at maintenance and engineering would be far more interesting than poor security. The only real problems it highlighted were the atrocious treatment of staff and fatigue problems, which occur at many airlines but are particularly bad at Ryanair. And believe me Chris, there are a lot of very unhappy and badly-treated pilots at Ryanair. What I found funny was the reporters being shocked at cabin crew having to pay £1500 or however much it was for their training, whilst not mentioning that pilots have to pay £50,000-£70,000 for their training if starting from scratch (I should point out that this occurs regularly at any company, due to their being far more pilots than jobs).

I would never fly with Ryanair though, due to Michael O'Leary, who surely must be one of the most evil men ever to run an airline (and yes I have met him personally), and the general unethical way the airline is run and staff treated. It annoys me how people fly on airlines because of how cheap the tickets are, and don't look beyond the prices at the actual company and the way it is run. This is the reason why Ryanair is so profitable and MOL so rich - they know that however bad their practices, people will continue to fly with them for their cheap fares, and as long as they continue to support the Irish economy the IAA won't close them down - until there's a major accident of course. At the end of the day money speaks louder than anything else.

Boeing-Pilot

Angus said:
....pilots have to pay £50,000-£70,000 for their training if starting from scratch (I should point out that this occurs regularly at any company, due to their being far more pilots than jobs)...

As for the £60k payment for pilot training, most of the time nower days we can go on a training scheme and you are required to get a bank loan of £60k and the airline pay it off for you, this scheme has been made because of the lack of pilots specially younger ones... myself is currently on this scheme at the moment.

Kind Regards,

Andy

well i have just got back form austria with Ryanair yrsterday and it was great. i could not complain about anything (well apart from flying through clouds so i could not see anything.)

Nick W

Established Member
I've used Ryanair a few times and they seem good value for money. I've also used BA and found them good value for money.

In conclusion what you pay is what you get. If you have spare cash go BA. If you have little cash go ryanair.

Still while the documentry was quite worrying, I still think the ryan air flights are safer than driving to the airport.

Status
Not open for further replies.