• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ryanair fiasco

Status
Not open for further replies.

atillathehunn

Established Member
I can sort of understand their logic about cutting Belfast, for example. Belfast-UK is served by Easyjet, Aer Lingus, Flybe, and BA. So, there are options for those shafted by cancellations.

Problem is, I thought UK-Ireland/NI was a very important market for Ryanair and I thought their Belfast Intl route was doing very well. Perhaps I was mistaken.

Even with all that competition, fares are high. A walk on fare tomorrow on BA is €212 one way. Ryanair is €140 and easyJet is similar. Everybody is making cash on this.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Even with all that competition, fares are high. A walk on fare tomorrow on BA is €212 one way. Ryanair is €140 and easyJet is similar. Everybody is making cash on this.

I'll bet. I've flown into and out of Belfast City with British Airways quite a lot, and it's always been a full flight. Always.

pemma

Veteran Member

The low cost airlines need to charge high fares when they can get away with it, otherwise they wouldn't be able to offer cheap fares or be able to trial new routes which may or may not work out.

Also worth remembering not all airlines who advertise fares from Belfast actually operate to Belfast. For instance, there's a 12:50 arrival at Belfast City from Heathrow today which has a BA code, an Aer Lingus code, an Iberia code, a Qatar code and an AA code. Obviously BA, Aer Lingus and Iberia are all part of IAG and it sounds like at least one passenger on that flight is connecting from an American flight at Heathrow and another from an Asian flight. However, they'll only be one BA operated plane landing and if the BA pilot or cabin crew are unavailable it'll affect everyone, whichever airline they booked with.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The low cost airlines need to charge high fares when they can get away with it, otherwise they wouldn't be able to offer cheap fares or be able to trial new routes which may or may not work out.

Also worth remembering not all airlines who advertise fares from Belfast actually operate to Belfast. For instance, there's a 12:50 arrival at Belfast City from Heathrow today which has a BA code, an Aer Lingus code, an Iberia code, a Qatar code and an AA code. Obviously BA, Aer Lingus and Iberia are all part of IAG and it sounds like at least one passenger on that flight is connecting from an American flight at Heathrow and another from an Asian flight. However, they'll only be one BA operated plane landing and if the BA pilot or cabin crew are unavailable it'll affect everyone, whichever airline they booked with.

The fact that a codeshare exists on a flight does not mean there is a passenger on that flight who purchased a ticket against that codeshare.

atillathehunn

Established Member

I never said they shouldn't charge high prices when the competition are also charging high prices? Where did I say this? I said that, even though there is competition, everybody on this route is making money. Which makes it weird that they are cancelling the route in the wake of the pilot issue.

I also understand what a codeshare is. But all the airline listed actually send their metal there. Air Fungus go there, BA go there, Flybe do, Ryanair and easyJet.

pemma

Veteran Member
I never said they shouldn't charge high prices when the competition are also charging high prices? Where did I say this?

I haven't said anything to imply that. I was simply explaining why competition doesn't automatically mean low fares. You said there's competition but the fares are high, if you had explained why that might be I wouldn't have felt a need the point needs expanding on. :roll:

I also understand what a codeshare is. But all the airline listed actually send their metal there. Air Fungus go there, BA go there, Flybe do, Ryanair and easyJet.

That was following on from what AlterEgo said in the post you were replying.

Correction to what I said the 12:30 arrival in Belfast is operated by Aer Lingus. However, BA will sell you a seat on it.

Hornet

More Flights getting the chop.

Ryanair cancels 22 flights per week to and from Dublin

They announced today that three return flights between Dublin and Birmingham (FR 664 and FR 665), Paris Beauvais (FR 22 and FR 23) and Barcelona (FR 3977 and FR 3976) on Mondays between November and March will be cancelled.

A Thursday return flight between Dublin Airport and Bucharest (FR 7346 and FR 7347) will be dropped, as have some Friday journeys between our main airport and Birmingham (FR 664 and FR 665), Paris Beauvais (FR 22 and FR 23), Barcelona (FR 6875 and FR 6874), Madrid (FR 7456 and FR 7157) and Warsaw Modlin (FR 4543 and FR 4544).
Sunday return services between Dublin and Birmingham (FR 664 and FR 665) and Krakow (FR 1901 and FR 1902) have also been cut.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...hts-per-week-to-and-from-dublin-36178009.html

F Great Eastern

Established Member

pemma

Veteran Member
Seems booking on a rival's flight as an alternative comes with many T&Cs.

MSE said:
A spokesperson said: "Ryanair yesterday (27 Sept) reminded its customer service agents of the refund and re-accommodation entitlements of customers in cases of flight cancellations."

It provided us with an email it had sent to staff asks them to re-route customers on another airline, but says they should prioritise booking on "agreed partner airlines" - Easyjet, Jet2, Vueling, City Jet, Aer Lingus, Norwegian or Eurowings Airlines - before considering other options.

It also says that passengers should only then be rebooked on other airlines "the cost of the ticket does not exceed three times the value of the original Ryanair fare for the sector cancelled".

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/n...67.327292001.1506617236-1068788608.1493029958

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hold on, I haven't yet heard on the news (I've not been on this thread for a few days) about Ryanair suspending routes. Plenty of flap about them not treating passengers well, but not of them cancelling routes.

I'm due to fly on the 0700 (or something similar) from Edinburgh to Stansted on 25th October. I haven't seen an email about it, nor heard any other news yet, but now I'm just a bit concerned. It does seem a bit crazy to suspend their London to Scotland routes, as in my experience (of once only admittedly) they've always seemed popular.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
You're in luck old chap, Edinburgh - Stansted is only suspended November - March, so you just beat the chop.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Cancelling the internal routes makes sense if, as the CAA seems to be suggesting, Ryanair are liable for hotel and other travel expenses incurred or lost because of the cancellation. Internal passengers are often on business or short holidays and can be rebooked quite easily, international passengers are more likely to be on holiday, so more costs and with Ryanair's aggressive pricing, they don't have much if any competition on some routes, so no way for people to rebook their flights.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
This does not feel like the small cockup Ryanair have been spinning..

It isn't, it's to do with industrial relations at the airline. They lost 200 pilots to Norwegian. The pilots, for the first time in a long time, have a strong hand. That's where the real battle is for Ryanair. And pre-emptive cancellations are one way to weaken the pilots' hand, given many of them don't get paid when they're not flying.

Jetlagged

From what Iv heard about the passenger experience on Norwegean I would say it might out of the frying pan etc etc for staff.

I've flown with them twice on long haul and could not fault them. From online booking to delivery of the end product, we had no issues at all. The flights were both on time and the on board service excellent from happy, professional crew.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
From what Iv heard about the passenger experience on Norwegean I would say it might out of the frying pan etc etc for staff.

Norwegian aren't a great deal more ethical, but they do give their pilots a proper contract and not a phoney "subcontractor" fudge.

Established Member

Most of that seems to be on here. I've never had any problems with Norwegian either, so that's the second person to be happy, a 100% increase in satisfaction ;)

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Indeed, and good to know pilots are valued by them and have propper T's and C's.

Was speeking to my Mum earlier who predicts Ryanair will never recover from this mess and as someone who has now had a canseled trip and is still wating for any direct contact like many others I hope she is correct.

atillathehunn

Established Member
I've seen my first advert from Virgin targeting Ryanair's lost traffic on the domestic Scottish routes.

I can't recall there being a discount code, but I believe the strap line was along the lines of "at the current rate, you should just call it Ryan".

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Well it would take a hefty discount to persuade me onto a VTEC train with poor service in both classes and a high chance the knitting will come down at some point but awating the appearance of a West Coast offer code or similar. Sadly the Cally Sleaper 20 Percent off is no use to my dates on which Iv been bowled out.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Indeed, and good to know pilots are valued by them and have propper T's and C's.

Was speeking to my Mum earlier who predicts Ryanair will never recover from this mess and as someone who has now had a canseled trip and is still wating for any direct contact like many others I hope she is correct.

I predict that Ryanair will recover from this fiasco quite quickly. They're far too big (and efficient) for it to be much more than an annoying blip in their Accounts. It would be nice to think that O'Leary will be more sensible in future, but on past experience that's very unlikely.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Well it would take a hefty discount to persuade me onto a VTEC train with poor service in both classes and a high chance the knitting will come down at some point but awating the appearance of a West Coast offer code or similar. Sadly the Cally Sleaper 20 Percent off is no use to my dates on which Iv been bowled out.

10% chance the knitting comes down. 100% chance the flight doesn't take off.

Having said that, their handling of the recent OHL failure was a bit of a joke for those stranded on that train, though they really are pretty proactive about diverting with their diesels where possible, much more so than Virgin WC

syorksdeano

I noticed something strange in the sky and reached for my binoculars.
I couldn't believe my eyes.
A Ryanair flight!

Howardh

Established Member
Monarch have been granted another 24 hrs stay of execution.

Their position is far more perilous than Ryanair - I have never used them as their flights from Manchester were around midnight, getting you to a resort at 2 - 4am. Totally useless.

Howardh

Established Member
I predict that Ryanair will recover from this fiasco quite quickly. They're far too big (and efficient) for it to be much more than an annoying blip in their Accounts. It would be nice to think that O'Leary will be more sensible in future, but on past experience that's very unlikely.

If they don't it's not all bad news. they have a multitude of routes, the busy ones will soon be taken over, and their planes are almost brand new, an easy sell in a fire-sale.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Monarch have been granted another 24 hrs stay of execution.

Their position is far more perilous than Ryanair - I have never used them as their flights from Manchester were around midnight, getting you to a resort at 2 - 4am. Totally useless.

They have quadrupled prices for new bookings. Its over for them

Status
Not open for further replies.