• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ryanair fiasco

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
Monarch have been granted another 24 hrs stay of execution.

Their position is far more perilous than Ryanair - I have never used them as their flights from Manchester were around midnight, getting you to a resort at 2 - 4am. Totally useless.

No scheduled departures depart Manchester Airport between 22:00 and 06:00, occasional charter services operate just outside those hours. This is due to conditions on the operational hours of runway 2. In May I arrived back in Manchester on a Monarch flight at around 21:30 and terminal 2 check in was completely closed.

Like any other airline Monarch uses their planes for as much of the day as they can so if a plane leaves at 6am for one destination, it'll return early afternoon and then go to another destination. Looking at tomorrow morning the first Monarch departure of the day is 06:30.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
If they don't it's not all bad news. they have a multitude of routes, the busy ones will soon be taken over, and their planes are almost brand new, an easy sell in a fire-sale.

If both Monarch and Ryanair folded they'll be a total of 155 x Boeing 737 MAX 8 planes being procured with no future home.

The Jet2 fleet could do with updating but whether they can afford brand new planes is a different question. EasyJet got rid of their Boeing planes in favour of a consistent Airbus fleet. However, Norwegian could be interested if they increase their routes given they are already getting Boeing 737 MAX 8 planes.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Ryanair made a profit of well over €1bn last year, their share price may have lost a fair bit in money terms but as a percentage it's be a pretty small hit.

They have cash reserves and plenty of assets since they own most of their fleet (450 in total, I'd say 75% are owned) so they have plenty of resources to ride this out and if they need to generate extra funds they can start selling planes but I don't think it will get that far

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Ryanair won't be folding any time soon. They're asset-rich, having driven some very good deals with Boeing over the years.

This will just be a blip for Ryanair, just like industrial action has been for other airlines.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ryanair won't be folding any time soon. They're asset-rich, having driven some very good deals with Boeing over the years.

This will just be a blip for Ryanair, just like industrial action has been for other airlines.

My jaw dropped today when during a commercial break on Sky Sports I saw an advert for Ryanair! But as you say for them it will just be a blip - indeed I wouldn't be surprised if O'Leary is enjoying the extra publicity in a perverse sort of way.

WestCoast

Established Member
Ryanair seem to have a better balance sheet than most airlines worldwide. They remind me of Sports Direct on our high street, widely criticised (for justifiable reasons) yet also much more successful than their competitors. If BA can survive multiple strikes, T5 malfunctions, computer system failures etc. and still come out of it quite well then I'm sure Ryanair will be fine.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Ryanair seem to have a better balance sheet than most airlines worldwide. They remind me of Sports Direct on our high street, widely criticised (for justifiable reasons) yet also much more successful than their competitors. If BA can survive multiple strikes, T5 malfunctions, computer system failures etc. and still come out of it quite well then I'm sure Ryanair will be fine.

They will bounce back. People have short memories and shallow pockets. Next Easter when this has all blown over they do a quick fire sale and we will all forget about it.

Monarch, on the other hand... I can see hungry airlines wanting their assets, easyJet and BA have been the noisiest so far in suggesting they want the planes.

Robertj21a

On Moderation

In fairness, BA really deserve to fail more than Ryanair ! At least Ryanair just has one idiot that has gone a bit more short-term mental than usual.

What's BA's excuse ?

YorkshireBear

Established Member
If both Monarch and Ryanair folded they'll be a total of 155 x Boeing 737 MAX 8 planes being procured with no future home.

The Jet2 fleet could do with updating but whether they can afford brand new planes is a different question. EasyJet got rid of their Boeing planes in favour of a consistent Airbus fleet. However, Norwegian could be interested if they increase their routes given they are already getting Boeing 737 MAX 8 planes.

Jet2 have got some new Boeing 737-800s on order and in the process of being delivered havent they?

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
In fairness, BA really deserve to fail more than Ryanair ! At least Ryanair just has one idiot that has gone a bit more short-term mental than usual.

What's BA's excuse ?

BA, in Willie Walsh and Alex Cruz, have two idiots only interested in the short term?

pemma

Veteran Member
A pilot told ITV News that Ryanair don't even let their staff have a bottle of water unless they pay for one.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

cactustwirly

Established Member
A pilot told ITV News that Ryanair don't even let their staff have a bottle of water unless they pay for one.

This is the crux of the problem, the conditions are poor (zero hour contract, lots of unpaid work etc), so lots of pilots are moving to other airlines with better conditions (Thomson, Thomas Cook, Norwegian etc)
Leaving Ryanair with a shortage of pilots.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
The simple fact is without Ryanair a lot of these pilots would not have been able to get their big break, because if they didn't need Ryanair to get their big break, they would never go to them in the first place if the terms and conditions were so bad, they would just go to other airlines who offered something better, yet still thousands of pilots have decided to go the Ryanair way.

Also look at this from the other airlines point of view, it's very handy to be able to directly recruit lots of well trained pilots with several years of experience from Ryanair to their ranks since it means that they don't have to spend money training their own which would certainly be a cost saving and no doubt this allows them to pay higher wages than if they would have to train their own.

I'm sure the likes of Norwegian are very happy with the fact that the Ryanair business model is essentially one which provides them with a large number of well trained, highly skilled experienced pilots without them having to spend a penny to get said staff to that level.

AndrewE

Established Member
That's interesting... I wonder why BBC broadcast news keeps loyally reporting that its [only] down to pilot leave re-scheduling?

fowler9

Established Member
Those water & food arrangements are no different to a train driver.
Would I be right in saying that train drivers have slightly easier access to cheaper food and water in between turns? That said they would find it harder to get to any refreshment facilities on board and some of their turnarounds are a little on the tight side.

pemma

Veteran Member
Those water & food arrangements are no different to a train driver.

Really? Do train crews have to remain on the unit for something like up to 7 hours at a time? And do train crews have to buy water, tea, coffee etc. from their employer if they don't bring their own drinks at the start of their shifts?

fowler9

Established Member
By way of a comparison Easyjet crew are provided with four bottles of water per shift which they are meant to drink to make sure they are hydrated. Also food is provided but lots of crew take their own as the probably get sick of cheese and ham paninis. Ha ha.

BestWestern

Established Member
Trains which carry catering facilities, be that an outsourced trolley or an in-house full buffet service, allow staff a degree of basic refreshment in my experience. Many TOCs also stockpile vast quantities of bottled water for passengers to consume in warm weather, which are also available to staff.

baz962

Established Member
By way of a comparison Easyjet crew are provided with four bottles of water per shift which they are meant to drink to make sure they are hydrated. Also food is provided but lots of crew take their own as the probably get sick of cheese and ham paninis. Ha ha.
As a side note captain's and first officer's have different meal's so one of them won't get the dreaded ham and cheese panini.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Monarch went down due to p*** poor management (My dad worked for them before they closed the Manchester hangar. He's the one who told me about the way it was run) and I can see Ryanair going the same way. In a few years Easy Jet would have taken Ryanair's place.

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Monarch went down due to p*** poor management (My dad worked for them before they closed the Manchester hangar. He's the one who told me about the way it was run) and I can see Ryanair going the same way. In a few years Easy Jet would have taken Ryanair's place.

Ryanair are a cash rich, asset rich, massively profit making business, people who compare them with Monarch really are comparing apples and something that isn't even a food let alone a fruit.

pemma

Veteran Member
Ryanair are a cash rich, asset rich, massively profit making business, people who compare them with Monarch really are comparing apples and something that isn't even a food let alone a fruit.

Yes Monarch, as it was in 2017, was similar to Jet2 - flights on their own or as part of a package for British people. Ryanair and EasyJet are a different type of business focusing on selling low cost European flights between many different countries - many flights operated by both airlines don't serve the British Isles.

Ryanair aren't a British business either so in the unlikely event they were to become insolvent then what would happen next could be very different to what happened to Monarch.

Status
Not open for further replies.