• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ryanair fiasco

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Ho
Yes Monarch, as it was in 2017, was similar to Jet2 - flights on their own or as part of a package for British people. Ryanair and EasyJet are a different type of business focusing on selling low cost European flights between many different countries - many flights operated by both airlines don't serve the British Isles.

Ryanair aren't a British business either so in the unlikely event they were to become insolvent then what would happen next could be very different to what happened to Monarch.

How are Jet2 financially?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
How are Jet2 financially?

Profit before taxation reduced by 14% to £90.1m (2016: £104.2m). This result includes considerable investment to launch our two new Jet2.com operating bases at Birmingham and London Stansted Airports and also includes a £10.9m charge for foreign exchange revaluation losses (2016: £1.3m). Before accounting for these revaluation losses, underlying profit before taxation reduced by 4% to £101.0m (2016: £105.5m).

http://www.dartgroup.co.uk/uploaded...ounts/Dart-Group-Preliminary-Results-2017.pdf

Hornet

Monarch went down due to p*** poor management (My dad worked for them before they closed the Manchester hangar. He's the one who told me about the way it was run) and I can see Ryanair going the same way. In a few years Easy Jet would have taken Ryanair's place.

Not according to Willie Walsh, who knows a thing or two about the Airline industry.

“Their ability to change is unparalleled and their ability to fix things is unparalleled. A lot of people are taking great pleasure out of what’s going on. Personally I’m s***ing myself because a reformed Ryanair will be even more difficult to compete against,” he said.

http://www.independent.ie/business/...mself-over-ryanair-pilot-fiasco-36199139.html

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The simple fact is without Ryanair a lot of these pilots would not have been able to get their big break, because if they didn't need Ryanair to get their big break, they would never go to them in the first place if the terms and conditions were so bad, they would just go to other airlines who offered something better, yet still thousands of pilots have decided to go the Ryanair way.

I'm not sure what your point is?

Ryanair treat their crews like rubbish. Some crews will put up with it- for a while. But if something better comes along they'll take it.

It reads as though you're trying to defend Ryanair, as though people should be grateful they got a job. Hmm.

The current issues are directly related to Ryanair treating their crews like rubbish.

fowler9

Established Member
The thing is we live in a funny world. We are here on this forum bitching about the way Ryanair treat their pilots. Elsewhere on the forum and in the wider media there will be people complaining about how well Ryanair pilots get paid and how Unions are messing things up for everyone,

Western Lord

I'm not sure what your point is?

Ryanair treat their crews like rubbish. Some crews will put up with it- for a while. But if something better comes along they'll take it.

It reads as though you're trying to defend Ryanair, as though people should be grateful they got a job. Hmm.

The current issues are directly related to Ryanair treating their crews like rubbish.
At least Ryanair pilots have job security, working for the biggest and richest airline in Europe. Leaving to go to a carrier with better T & Cs which then goes bust wouldn't be too clever.

BestWestern

Established Member
At least Ryanair pilots have job security, working for the biggest and richest airline in Europe. Leaving to go to a carrier with better T & Cs which then goes bust wouldn't be too clever.

They could presumably go back to Ryanair, given that despite their wealth nobody wants to work for them...

cactustwirly

Established Member

But easyJet are just as rich, and they offer better conditions.

pemma

Veteran Member
So they're doing a lot better than Monarch then.
They'll be the ones to watch next, I'm sure they're facing the same challenges as Monarch

Monarch disappearing will probably be good for the finances of a variety of airlines in the short term. It could even prevent the damage to Ryanair from being as bad as it would otherwise have been.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Monarch disappearing will probably be good for the finances of a variety of airlines in the short term. It could even prevent the damage to Ryanair from being as bad as it would otherwise have been.

I'm not sure that many are expecting Ryanair's problems to be much more than a blip in their Accounts. They will always be a large, profitable, operation due to their vast range of destinations and highly efficient practices.

dcsprior

I'm not sure that many are expecting Ryanair's problems to be much more than a blip in their Accounts. They will always be a large, profitable, operation due to their vast range of destinations and highly efficient practices.

Ryanair have been seemingly trying to make an effort to shed their old customer-unfriendly image (perhaps following easyJet moving a bit upmarket and capturing a big slice of the short-haul business travel market). I expect these issues will have set that aim back quite a bit.

BestWestern

Established Member

However, they may shortly become slightly less profitable than they were as they feel the effects of treating their staff poorly and have to make efforts to rectify the situation. That's going to increase their operating costs, and it appears from the press that it isn't just the pilots, there were suggestions of a cabin crew mutiny as well.

ivanhoe

So they're doing a lot better than Monarch then.
They'll be the ones to watch next, I'm sure they're facing the same challenges as Monarch
Whilst they have grown quite substantially over the past 10 years they appear to be able to adapt to changing circumstances. Their back office costs are low and they used to use their 737’s for the Royal Mail in the evening. I rang them yesterday about a holiday query, and it was answered by a holiday consultant working from home. They staff their airport check ins extremely well both over here and in resort airports. They are very good and in my opinion better than their bigger rivals Tui and Thomas Cook.

Hornet

I expect these issues will have set that aim back quite a bit.

Doesn't seem so. Willie Walsh may have been correct in his assumption.

"Ryanair's October traffic grew by 8pc to 11.8m customers, while our load factor jumped 1pc to 96pc, on the back of lower fares. These figures include the flight cancellations announced in September," Kenny Jacobs. of Ryanair, said.

https://www.independent.ie/business...-dent-ryanair-passenger-numbers-36283118.html

dcsprior

Doesn't seem so. Willie Walsh may have been correct in his assumption.

https://www.independent.ie/business...-dent-ryanair-passenger-numbers-36283118.html

It set back Ryanair's attempts to present a more customer-friendly image, yet not damaged their ability to win customers. I mentioned easyJet having a significant slice of the short-haul market for business travel, I think this will have hurt Ryanair's ability to win some of this, but maybe they don't need to care about that.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Ryanair increasing traffic isn't news. Any fool can fill a plane.

The question will be what the medium and long term damage to yields is. We probably won't know for a year. I doubt much of a long-term effect, tbh, but they'll have to win back customers with aggressive pricing. That'll be where to look.

They might be filling planes, but if everyone is paying a fiver that doesn't mean much.

richw

Veteran Member
Those figures announced today aren’t particularly good when disected. They rerouted people from cancelled services onto these services. Monarch going bust forced people to rebook elsewhere. I’d expect them to be even closer to capacity than they were.

ivanhoe

Ryanair increasing traffic isn't news. Any fool can fill a plane.

The question will be what the medium and long term damage to yields is. We probably won't know for a year. I doubt much of a long-term effect, tbh, but they'll have to win back customers with aggressive pricing. That'll be where to look.

They might be filling planes, but if everyone is paying a fiver that doesn't mean much.
There aren’t that many fares for a fiver unless you’re upto going to some obscure place in February. Whatever you may personally think of Ryanair, they’ll be a first port of call for many passengers who are cost conscious and want to travel from an airport that is reasonably close to them.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
There aren’t that many fares for a fiver unless you’re upto going to some obscure place in February. Whatever you may personally think of Ryanair, they’ll be a first port of call for many passengers who are cost conscious and want to travel from an airport that is reasonably close to them.

Quite. In any event, Ryanair makes much of its money from the add-ons and miscellaneous other matters (insurance, hotels, car hire etc). They are still the biggest airline across Europe, and highly profitable. All the low fares will do is to make life even more difficult for their competitors to fill their seats.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Whatever you may personally think of Ryanair, they’ll be a first port of call for many passengers who are cost conscious and want to travel from an airport that is reasonably close to them.

Exactly. When I am in the UK I go and visit my daughter, S-I-L, grand children in County Galway. When I look at the pure convenience and cost of Ryanair LPL-NOC-LPL vs Aer Lingus into Dublin or Shannon, or FlyBe from Manchester to Knock there is no comparison. Say what you like about Ryanair, they give a huge number of people exactly what they want - low fares, convenient airports reasonable to excellent schedules. Would I prefer to fly a different airline? - sure, but sometimes it just does not make sense or is not in the least convenient.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I flew with Ryanair 3 times last week, with the only issue being the crew for FR8882 being a bit late and delaying boarding. Then congestion in London airspace meant we were 18 late moving off, despite somehow being ready to go for 0700.

The rest of the flight was fine, and I had no complaints about the other two. No, I have no reason to stop using Ryanair and they will no doubt remain my most frequently used airline. I can't help but wonder whether that would be the case if it was an Airbus fleet, as I love the 737-800s. Either way, after 21 flights with Ryanair since March 2012, and I had a few in the days of 2p flights many years ago but never recorded, I'll be flying with Ryanair quite happily multiple times next year. It would be again this year, but no time off available.

fowler9

Established Member
Was getting the bus to work the other day and a Ryanair first officer got on. We get a lot of their crew, cabin crew also, in lodgings by where I live. Not that keen on how they treat their crew (Easyjet are better) buy I guess they could do worse than being in lodgings by ours, it's a nice area and handy for the airport.

shredder1

Established Member
Well Ryanair, got me to Prague and back for the last two weeks, planes on time, great prices too, landed in Liverpool last night on time, £35 quid there and back..

fowler9

Established Member
Well Ryanair, got me to Prague and back for the last two weeks, planes on time, great prices too, landed in Liverpool last night on time, £35 quid there and back..
How were people getting away from the airport out of interest. Must have been a bit of a pain with the bus strike.

fowler9

Established Member
I didnt know there was one, I took a bus from the airport to South Parkway without any problem sunday night?
Sorry mate, when you said last night I thought you meant Monday. Arriva were on Strike. Never checked when you posted. Ha ha. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.