• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ryanair have given me an €80 voucher, where do I go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NLC1072

I had a flight rescheduled so they sent me an €80 voucher to use by march 20th for travel up until that date. I'm flying from Dublin, are there any cities in Europe worth visiting for a 4 day long bash (preferably warmer places!)?

Thanks guys!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I had a flight rescheduled so they sent me an €80 voucher to use by march 20th for travel up until that date. I'm flying from Dublin, are there any cities in Europe worth visiting for a 4 day long bash (preferably warmer places!)?

Thanks guys!

Barcelona, Rome, Prague etc etc

AlexNL

Established Member
Grab a map of Europe, some darts, a blindfold, and go wherever most darts land. :D

Veteran Member
Depends on what's still available for flights!

Bratislava for Slovakia, if you are into old-style railways - could combine with Prague.

NLC1072

Thanks for the replies guys! I've also had a look at Lisbon (for the old trams), but I've still not decided yet :(

Who ever said EasyJet, they don't fly to the ROI lol! Nice try though!

Gordon

I don't use Ryanair (as EZY at LGW is near me)

but I checked FR's destinations:

How about:

Romania (Bucuresti from Dublin)
lots of interesting railway traction, including the ex-SNCF Regiotrans locos and Caravelle DMUs,plus all sorts of open access operations

jon0844

Veteran Member

Thanks guys!

You first need to find a place Ryanair flies to that looks good, and then a pilot who will fly it there too.

Good luck!

pemma

Veteran Member
Thanks for the replies guys! I've also had a look at Lisbon (for the old trams), but I've still not decided yet :(

Who ever said EasyJet, they don't fly to the ROI lol! Nice try though!

When you say 4 day I'm not sure if you mean 4 full days or you mean something like flight arrives Friday and departs Monday, which might not give you much more than 2 full days unless it includes a very early flight on the arrival day or/and a very late flight on the departure day.

Rome was suggested further up - I think you need 4-5 full days to properly experience Rome. There's a lot to see and do and it's very popular even off season so you'll spend quite a bit of time queuing whenever you travel.

Lisbon's a good place to visit for a short break. As it's a small city you'll have time to see the city and maybe have time to visit Sintra or the wine growing region and the Arrabida national park to the south. Although, if you plan to use public transport have a back up option ready as in Portugal trade unions can announce their members are going on strike the following day. There are companies like Inside Lisbon and Lisbon Riders who do minibus tours which on some tours include taking you to areas inaccessible by public transport. I did one tour with Lisbon Riders which had the founder as the tour guide - he used to work as a transport consultant before starting up a tour business.

Last edited by a moderator:

cactustwirly

Established Member
For trains, larger German cities (Berlin, Hamburg & Munich) are great.
You can also use a very reasonably priced Lander ticket, to explore the surrounding area.
And of course good for beer as well!

Last edited:

dutchflyer

Established Member
However, do note/be aware that about all those cities on the continent will be colder-or even much colder as a general rule as Dublin will be in wintertime. The worst of time is not freezing winter, but rather when thaw then comes and then its the worst time for having trainservice in distress.
And with those continuous RYAN cancellations, wait til just a week or so advance to book to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.