• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

S Stock door locking

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebmcr

Established Member
At turnarounds involving non-passenger sidings (e.g. Amersham), a staff member walks the length of S Stock trains and locks out each set of doors as they pass by.

This appears to be done with the internal door open button on the adjacent non-released door (the one not against the platform).

I'm not sure however, whether this is just a long press, or a coded pattern of pushes, or some sort of wireless token with a reader embedded in the button facia. Also, does the train need to be put in 'lockout mode' before this functionality is enabled?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rebmcr

Established Member
I am pretty sure the driver just selects this mode from their cab. No, you can't do it yourself to unsuspecting passengers (unlike some old porter buttons :lol: )!

I wasn't planning to, but I was wondering just how secure the system is! :D

Dstock7080

Established Member
This appears to be done with the internal door open button on the adjacent non-released door (the one not against the platform).

I'm not sure however, whether this is just a long press, or a coded pattern of pushes, or some sort of wireless token with a reader embedded in the button facia. Also, does the train need to be put in 'lockout mode' before this functionality is enabled?
The term is "platform close".

Once selected, any passenger button, whether platform side or not, can be used to close the doors on that car.
The button must be pressed for a minimum of 5 seconds.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I am pretty sure the driver just selects this mode from their cab. No, you can't do it yourself to unsuspecting passengers (unlike some old porter buttons :lol: )!

I'd always assumed you could on any stock with porter buttons, e.g. the 350s. Or do they too have a closing-up mode that must be set first / requires the key to be out or something?

rebmcr

Established Member
The term is "platform close".

Once selected, any passenger button, whether platform side or not, can be used to close the doors on that car.
The button must be pressed for a minimum of 5 seconds.

Thanks, very informative! :)

Dstock7080

Established Member
Apart from D Stock when the saloon door open circuit for the appropriate side is energised. Not sure when that mod came in - at refurb possibly?
Ah yes!
forgotten that, even though i work on them! it has always been the case the door open circuit must be disabled to use the porter buttons.
i would guess the '83 Stock were the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.