• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

S Stock Speed measurement & Met Line speed upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

pethadine82

On Moderation
It is possible with a software upgrade that S stock can measure speeds in mph rather than kph?

Do LU have any plans to increase the line speed on the fringes of the met line?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simon11

Established Member
It is possible with a software upgrade that S stock can achieve speeds of mph.
Do LU have any plans to increase the line speed on the fringes of the met line.

The new stock train top speed is actually lower than the a stock.

However the s stock has quicker acceleration, so journey times should come down! However it will only be used to the full effect once the a stocks are gone.

Jonny

Established Member
Tyne and Wear Metro has always been metric - and even uses NwR tracks Pelaw (just east of) - Sunderland - South Hylton.

It needed to use hexagonal speed boards though when it combined with Railtrack (as was, now NwR), LUL could easily do the same, need not be a direct translation.

Daniel

Established Member
It is possible with a software upgrade that S stock can measure speeds in mph rather than kph?

Do LU have any plans to increase the line speed on the fringes of the met line?

I'm confused. I'm pretty sure the speedometer on the S stocks are in mph?

Attachments

• sid.JPG
    sid.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 71

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Speed limit boards on the fringes of HS1 where it interfaces with NR infrastucture include in km/h signs- white on black.

notadriver

Established Member
The new stock train top speed is actually lower than the a stock.

However the s stock has quicker acceleration, so journey times should come down! However it will only be used to the full effect once the a stocks are gone.

I thought it was a signalling constraint. I hope it isn't. The northern line 1995 stock is the same speed despite the older trains having long since disappeared.

WinterChief

S and 09 Stock can modified from mph to kph (and vice versa) with the click of a button via software update. They are currently in mph.

Line speed will go up in some places.

Status
Not open for further replies.