• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

S.Wales - Didcot MGRs via Malvern

Status
Not open for further replies.

a good off

One of my colleagues has hazy 1970s/80s recollections of MGR trains taking coal from S.Wales to Didcot PS but booked via Abergavenny, Hereford, Malvern, Worcester and Evesham. Can anyone else remember this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
It did - there was more or less a train every hour from the Toton area via Washwood Heath and Oxford + return empties.

A variation kicked in around 1980 when some USA coal was source for Didcot - which came into Newport Docks (before the Avonmouth dock upgrade) - this was newsworthy for several reasons , from a railway point of view it was "double headed" with a 56 from origin to Stoke Gifford to get it through the Severn Tunnel quicker. Via Malvern would be extremely unlikely - partly due to the indifferent track quality on the route at the time..

onein37

There was definately a picture in a magazine of the time showing an MGR on the Malvern line. Loaded or empty I can't remember. 47 hauled I think.

One of my colleagues has hazy 1970s/80s recollections of MGR trains taking coal from S.Wales to Didcot PS but booked via Abergavenny, Hereford, Malvern, Worcester and Evesham. Can anyone else remember this?

Could this have been in 1975? In that year the Badminton line between Wootton Bassett Junction and Westerleigh Junction was closed between May and October for upgrading prior to the introduction of HSTs the following year.

Status
Not open for further replies.