• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sad week at at Foxfield…pacer vandalism

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc

Love them or hate them, it’s very saddening to hear of the damage done to Pacer Rail Group’s 142055 at Foxfield this week.

For the third time this week, we have been targeted by a group of mindless fools who have caused in excess of £25,000 worth of damage.

A total of 24 panes of glass has been smashed in the Class 142 Pacer, a window smashed in another heritage coach, an attempt at smashing windows in the signal box, attempts to get in various other signals and to top it off they broke the CCTV camera and have ran off with it!

You can imagine how upset we are this evening finding this damage. We put our heart and soul into keep our heritage alive to see it reduced to tatters in a manner of minutes by mindless individuals is absolutely gut wrenching.

Anyone in the local area who know’s of any information regarding these incidents please do get in touch.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
Love them or hate them, it’s very saddening to hear of the damage done to Pacer Rail Group’s 142055 at Foxfield this week.

B@@t@@ds. The only words I can think of at the moment. I can only hope the Foxfield can recover from this, and the group can obtain either spares or replacement components - there isn't many Pacers left to strip or to scrap.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Mindless little b**t**ds, that's all they are. If I were part of the Foxfield team and having poured countless hours into maintaining/preserving the rolling stock and infrastucture, lord knows what I would do if I got my hands on one of those responsible. Just to be clear, I'm not advocating for violence as a appropriate response to this nor am I a violent person, but stories like this really do boil my p*** and I can certainly understand the impulse on a base level.

I really do hope the Foxfield can recover from this and if there are any spares available for 142055 (can't be many given how few Pacers there are left in scrap condition).

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Why does Britain have such a high proportion of morons?
I'm not sure we have a higher proportion of morons than say Italy or Spain... they just express themselves in different ways. It's rare to see passenger rolling stock on the "big railway" in this country with any graffiti at all... in Spain it's rare to see anything that hasn't been tagged.

Our morons seem more interested in wanton destruction rather than simply leaving their mark somewhere. Perhaps we could organise some sort of cultural exchange...?

Signal_Box

Fear not the police will allocate a crime number and then NFA the job, after all there is pretty serious “wrong think“ going on, on Twitter to police.

Police more concerned with hurt feelings than real crime, Robert Peal would be turning in his grave if he could see his once proud police force the way it is now. Senior managers, and the college of policing are a scar on the British police service.

Is it any wonder the law abiding public now have little faith in the service they pay for.

warwickshire

On Moderation
How about Eastleigh Arlington ie Raxstar. Isn't some of 142056 still intact. Cannot some windows from that go to Foxfield. As a donation even if someone from Foxfield could go to Eastleigh Arlington and collect them.
Also have Eastleigh Arlington stripped the other Pacers and have spares anyway ie to sell on anyway to other private railway companies that have them? Also as well a lot of enthusiasts have kindly donated money and time and effort to the Pacer as well. Disgusting all around as well as the railway its also vandalism and criminal damage to the enthusiasts who have donated to the Pacer and to those who have worked so hard on it. 142047 is still good at gascoigne wood but unsure on where its still going myself.
Unless its still owned by someone who works there.

scrapy

Established Member
The TOCS here will remove graffiti on trains within hours of it being reported, a train will be removed from service even if it means a cancellation if the graffiti is offensive. This is a deliberate policy to make tagging trains a waste of time. In mainland Europe it will likely be left. Doesn't mean there are any fewer idiots here just their 'artwork' isn't noticed. Similarly network rail will paint over graffiti rather than leaving it. I've noticed a large amount recently on the OHLE and other infrastructure around Poulton le Fylde all the same tags. Hopefully the perpetrator will be caught soon.

Towers

Established Member
Very sad indeed :(

Regretfully this sort of thing underlines the sad reality that heritage railways are regular targets for these scum, presumably because they feel that there is "interesting" stuff to smash up. The fact that this was reportedly the third visit in a week really does underline the desperate need for better security if our heritage lines are to protect their stock and property. That's easier said than done of course, but it does makes me wince when you see the volume of assets routinely left sitting utterly vulnerable at so many railways. I don't know what the solution is, but I do worry that sooner or later we are going to see a major item of historic rolling stock lost to mindless vandals (or metal fairies). We came frightenly close to losing the teak rake that was trashed at the NYMR a while back, thank god one of the morons didn't decide to set fire to something...o_O

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Perhaps instead of feeding them into the Newport shredder, all those unwanted 142s and 315s could have been donated to preserved lines to use as a "sacrificial lamb" for any scumbags who had the urge to smash things up.

Titfield

Established Member
Very sad indeed :(

Regretfully this sort of thing underlines the sad reality that heritage railways are regular targets for these scum, presumably because they feel that there is "interesting" stuff to smash up. The fact that this was reportedly the third visit in a week really does underline the desperate need for better security if our heritage lines are to protect their stock and property. That's easier said than done of course, but it does makes me wince when you see the volume of assets routinely left sitting utterly vulnerable at so many railways. I don't know what the solution is, but I do worry that sooner or later we are going to see a major item of historic rolling stock lost to mindless vandals (or metal fairies). We came frightenly close to losing the teak rake that was trashed at the NYMR a while back, thank god one of the morons didn't decide to set fire to something...o_O

I favour having webcams and cctv at all stations and where rolling stock is kept. Volunteers and enthusiasts should be encouraged to have the webcam feed live on their laptops etc and asked to report any observations of trespass to the police and railway immediately.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Half term holiday?

Idiots do what idiots do. A preserved railway is very convenient - stuff to smash and unlikely to be anyone around most of the time. I doubt the vandals knew or cared whether it was a pacer or the Knotty rake. They may not even know what a preserved / heritage railway is! More likely, we're bored, there's a site full of stuff, it looks quiet, crash bang wallop. Unless there is a darker side of some kind of personal grudge/grievance.

Secure covered accommodation is the solution which costs money and is in short supply at most railways. Foxfield, like many preserved sites, does however have its lines of 'stuff' which present an image of abandonment. When I went past a couple of months back the pacer was parked in close vicinity to several of these 'long-term restoration projects'.

One key aspect here would be the public footpath which runs across the throat of the station/sidings, making it difficult to secure the site. The signal box is also close to the footpath.

Previously (I discovered recently) they suffered arson attacks on some wagons 'abandoned' at the bottom of the incline adjacent to the big railway.

The main base of the Foxfield is close to housing, quite posh too (for Stoke-on-Trent) but still takes an effort to get to. Blythe Bridge is not a bad area, but like everywhere it has it's grot spots and undesirables. The other end of the line, at Dilhorne Colliery, is much less accessible.

Wolfie

Established Member
The BBC have a story on this. A very sad picture.

"Vandals have attacked a heritage railway for the third time in a week, causing more than £25,000 worth of damage.
Volunteer-run Foxfield Railway at Caverswall, Staffordshire, said the latest attack was "absolutely gut wrenching".
On Friday evening, 24 panes of glass of a Class 142 Pacer were smashed and another heritage coach was damaged.
CCTV cameras were also smashed and train signals broken."

Last edited by a moderator:

Gloster

Established Member
I presume that the story on the BBC website means that an item has appeared in the local news bulletin. I wonder if this is a good idea: if the yobs see it (*), they might be so full of themselves for becoming ‘famous’ that they will go out and do more damage somewhere.

* - Of course, they are quite likely out wreaking havoc somewhere, but somebody might tell them.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Meant without malice; it might well be worth leaving it a while before they fit them, given repeated recent events :(
...or setting up a sting to catch the culprits if the events were repeated in the short term.

John Luxton

Established Member
Why does Britain have such a high proportion of morons?
Lack of suitable deterrent punishment?

Police too busy chasing after non-crimes to keep the politically correct brigade happy?

These are two that come to mind.

In cases of vandalism as a minimum the perpetrators should be made to pay the full cost of the damage and reinstatement along with additional compensation to the owners.

No money?

Well it will be docked from your wages / benefit until the full amount is repaid.

nanstallon

Lack of suitable deterrent punishment?

Police too busy chasing after non-crimes to keep the politically correct brigade happy?

These are two that come to mind.

In cases of vandalism as a minimum the perpetrators should be made to pay the full cost of the damage and reinstatement along with additional compensation to the owners.

No money?

Well it will be docked from your wages / benefit until the full amount is repaid.
I agree with your sentiments, but in do-gooder controlled Britain I can't see much hope of the police concentrating on real crime, or the courts meting out any serious punishment.

John Luxton

Established Member
I agree with your sentiments, but in do-gooder controlled Britain I can't see much hope of the police concentrating on real crime, or the courts meting out any serious punishment.
Eventually failure to address the issue will lead to a backlash and the quicker the better. Too much concern about rights and hurt feelings rather than dealing with the things that ruin most normal peoples' lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.