• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

safe distance between tube trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

hungover

Hi all.

At 19.10 this evening I was on the eastbound central line platform at Notting hill station. The train on the platform was terminating at White city. As it pulled out of the station, I could see the next train, to North Acton, sitting in the tunnel, it only seemed to between 30 and 50 metres away.

Is this normal?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Hi all.

At 19.10 this evening I was on the eastbound central line platform at Notting hill station. The train on the platform was terminating at White city. As it pulled out of the station, I could see the next train, to North Acton, sitting in the tunnel, it only seemed to between 30 and 50 metres away.

Is this normal?

Yes - and safe .....ATO operstion ....etc ..

transmanche

Established Member
Is this normal?
Yes. The Central, Northern, Jubilee, and Victoria lines all run with Automatic Train Operation (ATO). The Victoria line has done so (albeit with a different ATO system to the current one) since it opened in the 1960s.

colchesterken

It has worked well on the Central line , long before ATO. I remember in the late 60 s when I worked up there you could see the next rain at several stations
Indeed on the slow lines Stratford to Shenfield you could see the train on front when the station signal changes to yellow
I do not understand what all the fuss about the Thameslink improvements has been all about, the speeds on the central section are modest I would think they could have just put in lots of closely spaced 4 aspect signals and saved loads a money on the automatic signal system they are putting in,

AndrewE

Established Member
It has worked well on the Central line , long before ATO. I remember in the late 60 s when I worked up there you could see the next rain at several stations
Indeed on the slow lines Stratford to Shenfield you could see the train on front when the station signal changes to yellow
I do not understand what all the fuss about the Thameslink improvements has been all about, the speeds on the central section are modest I would think they could have just put in lots of closely spaced 4 aspect signals and saved loads a money on the automatic signal system they are putting in,

... and on the West Coast Main Line too. It seems to me that the signal spacings are very stretched out, maybe because they were for 140mph or whatever, and the max is 125. I guess part of the benefit was the cost saving from fewer sections. Consequence of a lot fewer, longer signal sections is that when things go wrong & congestion occurs the tailback is an awful lot longer, blocking junctions further back etc etc.

I wonder if it would be more resilient and have more capacity if they were all halved in length?

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
...I would think they could have just put in lots of closely spaced 4 aspect signals and saved loads a money on the automatic signal system they are putting in,
You would need signal sections shorter than the trains to achieve what ATO makes possible.

Established Member
Yes. The Central, Northern, Jubilee, and Victoria lines all run with Automatic Train Operation (ATO). The Victoria line has done so (albeit with a different ATO system to the current one) since it opened in the 1960s.
Is this why I always have to wait longer for a Piccadilly Line train and find it far more overcrowded than one on the Northern Line?

AndrewE

Established Member
You would need signal sections shorter than the trains to achieve what ATO makes possible.

Really?
I heard someone important say that the closely and regularly spaced 1960s WCML signals gave a very flexible and dense railway. Why not go to 5-aspect or speed-signalling and continue to trust the driver?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
This thread is not really about ATO, because the feature that allows close spacing of trains is actually "moving block" (or very short fixed blocks, which comes to the same thing once the blocks are short enough). ATO and moving block do tend to go hand in hand because they are both ways of maximising the throughput of trains and when installing equipment to provide one it often makes sense to provide the other at the same time.

tsr

Established Member

Something which seems to have occasionally had to happen by accident rather than design with the current setup... and as you will know, it often doesn't really work!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
... and on the West Coast Main Line too. It seems to me that the signal spacings are very stretched out, maybe because they were for 140mph or whatever, and the max is 125. I guess part of the benefit was the cost saving from fewer sections. Consequence of a lot fewer, longer signal sections is that when things go wrong & congestion occurs the tailback is an awful lot longer, blocking junctions further back etc etc.

I wonder if it would be more resilient and have more capacity if they were all halved in length?

Prior to the 1960s the WCML had mostly absolute block signalling controlled by signal boxes which were spaced quite unevenly because they needed to be at stations or other places with points. There were some intermediate signals but overall the length of the blocks was quite irregular and effectively the longest block limited the capacity of the entire route. So the multiple-aspect signalling installed just before electrification would be a great capacity improvement because it evened up the block sections. It also shortened them, because under the old system the block length could not sensibly be shorter than the braking distances of the trains but under four aspect signalling it can be as little as half the braking distance. However, trains at maximum speed would then have to be separated by more than one block system, so the benefit of four-aspect signalling isn't as much as a doubling in capacity. A further benefit is that the equipment works automatically, not requiring time for the signalmen to communicate by bell and block instrument before and after each train passes.

In theory this could be taken further by adding more aspects and spacing the signals more closely, but even in theory there is a diminishing return (five-aspect signals would be spaced at one-third of braking distance, six-aspect at one-quarter etc). There are also practical limitations such as the impossibility of placing signals at junctions, midway along platforms or where they are not easily visible. So the theoretical minimum spacing becomes harder to achieve with more aspects and shorter blocks. In addition a driver is more likely to make mistakes when faced with a large number of possible aspects, particularly when the signals are approached at a higher speed and more closely spaced.

Moving block allows a different concept. Essentially a certain distance is reserved in front of each train, and it is allowed to run at the speed which it is able to stop at within that distance. This avoids the need to "round up" the train spacing to a whole number of signal sections, allowing the minimum spacing between trains at maximum speed to be closer. Perhaps more importantly it also means that trains running more slowly or with better brakes can run safely at a shorter distance behind the train in front. This is a particular benefit on a mixed traffic line because the risk of driver error means trains are normally timetabled to run on green signals even if their stopping distance would allow them to run at their maximum speed on double yellows. As I suggested above, moving block is equivalent to a large number of very short block sections, with a similarly large number of signal aspects.

Having said that, moving block is proven technology for metros where all trains have the same characteristics, but less so for main lines. ERTMS level 3 will allow this to happen but does not yet exist. And it makes very little difference to the capacity disbenefit that comes from some trains stopping at particular stations where others don't.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Indeed. Underground lines with classic signalling have featured "closing up" signals for many years. The signals are spaced more closely near stations allowing a following train to approach and occupy the platform in the minimum time after the previous one has left. This can even include mid-platform signals. The limiting factor is making sure that if a train passes the signal at danger the trainstop can bring it to a halt before it hits the one in front.

That is exactly what they are doing, and you can see the mid-platform signals at the stations. This is a fixed block system with the shortest blocks that are possible under four-aspect signalling, taking account of the low speed and the braking performance of the trains to be used.

On top of this the new train fleet will use ATO. This doesn't reduce the minimum spacing. However it does produce a capacity benefit because all trains will accelerate and brake in an identical manner (eliminating the differences cause by variations in driving style between drivers) so they will take exactly the same time from station to station and are less likely to catch each other up.

Crossrail central section has a true moving block system similar to those on the Underground.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Many signal sections are shorter than the trains in the TL core, and throughout the new London Bridge / Charing Cross / Cannon Street area. Indeed for the latter three they have been for a long time.

The ETCS system in the core (that enables ATO) puts additional blocks between most signals as well - some block sections are less than 80 metres.

ATO introduces a consistency in driving, and a certainty of acceleration / braking at exactly the right points. This delivers a consistent sectional running time (to within a couple of seconds).

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

No - signal spacings are all designed for 125mph (or lower speed where that is applicable). I've done many cab rides on the line, and drivers need to start braking at the first YY in order to stop at the red - at normal service brake level.

The timetable is designed around the signalling, and is a thing of beauty. Catch the Birmingham train that calls at Watford, watch Open Train Times Maps, and if all is running well from MK, you will be 2 greens behind the preceding Manchester, and the Glasgow will be following two greens behind, all on 3 minute headways.

Last edited:

PermitToTravel

Established Member
The Central line does not have moving blocks. It has fixed blocks (many are shorter than one train long), and the same separation distance / capacity benefits are available when the trains are being driven manually.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

I would agree with your first two paragraphs. I worked on Central and Victoria in early 70s and you'd expect to see next trains waiting in the tunnel in peak hours at least, especially in the straight sections.
Thameslink I suspect will, once it is in full operation (if it ever happens), be seen as an object lesson in spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar, unlike Crossrail where all the ha'porths were committed.

bramling

Veteran Member

Not so much to do with ATO, but more to do with the signalling design.

In fact, one place where trains could get closest was on the Northern Line, under the old conventional signalling, at Oval and Waterloo northbound. At the former with a train standing in the platform the following train could be brought to a stand just a couple of cars lengths behind. Not bad for an installation dating back to the 1950s, and today's Seltrac system does not achieve the same headway here.

Last edited:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Even conventional signalling can achieve short distances between a train entering the station and one departing thanks to the use of multi home signals which allows a train to get closer than would normally be possible.

Unlike on the mainline, signalling on the Underground has been designed so that a train being operated correctly (ie. within the speed limit and with normal functioning brakes and a correctly operated tripcock) will not run into another train should it pass a signal at danger.

philthetube

Established Member
Not so much to do with ATO, but more to do with the signalling design.

In fact, one place where trains could get closest was on the Northern Line, under the old conventional signalling, at Oval and Waterloo northbound. At the former with a train standing in the platform the following train could be brought to a stand just a couple of cars lengths behind. Not bad for an installation dating back to the 1950s, and today's Seltrac system does not achieve the same headway here.

This was achieved with speed controlled signals, each of which would not clear until the train was moving at an appropriate speed for the train to stop if "tripped" short of any obstruction, eg, a train.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
There are numerous places where you could get really close with conventional signalling - Kings Cross E/B on the Picc, Baker Street O/R, Liverpool Street O/R to mention just a few off the top of my head. You could on occasion follow the draw up signals into Liverpool Street O/R as the train ahead was leaving.
As long as the section and position of trainstop account for speed of heaviest train, braking capacity of oldest stock etc etc then it is as safe as ATO

transmanche

Established Member
As long as the section and position of trainstop account for speed of heaviest train, braking capacity of oldest stock etc etc then it is as safe as ATO
Something that didn't happen at Holborn in 1980.

(My understanding is that danger signals would change to clear as the train approached on the expectation that the motorman would have slowed the train - but there wasn't actually any mechanism to check the speed of the train before the signals cleared.)

Met Driver

Established Member
There are numerous places where you could get really close with conventional signalling - Kings Cross E/B on the Picc, Baker Street O/R, Liverpool Street O/R to mention just a few off the top of my head. You could on occasion follow the draw up signals into Liverpool Street O/R as the train ahead was leaving.

(My understanding is that danger signals would change to clear as the train approached on the expectation that the motorman would have slowed the train - but there wasn't actually any mechanism to check the speed of the train before the signals cleared.)

Speed control signals would only clear if the train was travelling at or below the requisite speed on approach to the signal - this was measured either by track circuits or a length of dummy conductor rail. The speed control signals at Holborn did not clear for precisely that reason on that occasion. Unfortunately the train was being driven so fast (in excess of the maximum permitted speed for the section of line concerned) that the signalling overlaps - designed to take into account a SPAD at or below the maximum line speed - were compromised and so the collision was inevitable. The accident report is available at http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk.

Last edited:

philthetube

Established Member
Speed control signals would only clear if the train was travelling at or below the requisite speed on approach to the signal - this was measured either by track circuits or a length of dummy conductor rail. The speed control signals at Holborn did not clear for precisely that reason on that occasion. Unfortunately the train was being driven so fast (in excess of the maximum permitted speed for the section of line concerned) that the signalling overlaps - designed to take into account a SPAD at or below the maximum line speed - were compromised and so the collision was inevitable. The accident report is available at http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk.

Dummy conductor rail has nearly all been removed as it cannot cope with regenerative braking, it could still be on the Piccadilly and Bakerloo lines though, and I don't know about the central.

Met Driver

Established Member
Dummy conductor rail has nearly all been removed as it cannot cope with regenerative braking, it could still be on the Piccadilly and Bakerloo lines though, and I don't know about the central.

Long gone from the Central since ATP came in, I would say the Picc has the only working examples left.

MarkyT

Established Member
A big advantages of the Thameslink core system is that it can allow non ETCS/ATO trains to use the line, usually at quiet times, but even during the peak a partially failed 700 could be driven through on manual using signals and TPWS/AWS for protection without too much impact on other trains that can still follow the disabled train closely as long as their ETCS/ATO is operational. The Thameslink solution for a high capacity corridor that can deal with all types and lengths of trains could form a prototype to be rolled out elsewhere on UK main lines. Going from the existing lineside signalling to ETCS allows throughput to be raised from 16TPH to 24TPH maximum in the core, and remember these could all be 12 car trains potentially at approximately 240m long. The Crossrail core by contrast will only be able to handle it's own specific type of rolling stock fitted with it's proprietary CBTC and ATO system. not a problem for Crossrail except insofar as the trains will be more complex, having to be compatible with ETCS and TPWS/AWS for the surface mainlines either side of the core as well, and probably the GW ATP system for a few more years yet until ETCS conversion.

transmanche

Established Member
not a problem for Crossrail except insofar as the trains will be more complex, having to be compatible with ETCS and TPWS/AWS for the surface mainlines either side of the core as well, and probably the GW ATP system for a few more years yet until ETCS conversion.
But that's not really a big issue in itself is it? Trains fitted with multiple protection systems is not uncommon already; e.g. Chiltern have stock fitted with TPWS/AWS/ATP and LU tripcocks, ATW have stock fitted with ETCS/TPWS/AWS and so on - and that's before you mention the Eurostar sets.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Crossrail 345s aren't getting GW-ATP, that's why there has to be an agreed fallback mode of fitting an enhanced TPWS system in the Paddington to Heathrow area if the ETCS L2 is not ready in time for initial Class 345 passenger operations.

It has been discussed in an earlier thread, but there's an ORR report about it here:

http://orr.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/18856/paddington-0-12-exemption-application-report.pdf

Basically they cannot physically fit GW-ATP to the trains because there is no space. The Heathrow branch is apparently guaranteed to have ETCS L2 in place on day 1 of Crossrail replacing Connect. The risk area is the Paddington to Airport and Tunnel Junctions stretch.

edwin_m

Veteran Member

Indeed.

The report states that one of the signals was approach controlled only by train position with no timer that would measure speed. When this happened the trainstop lowered quickly enough that the train would not be tripped even if driven as fast as was physically possible. The next signal before the point of collision did have a timer and the train was tripped there but due to its speed the braking distance was longer than the distance from the trainstop to the back of the train in front.

That signal and a few others with the same problem were modified soon afterwards, either not to have the release feature or to have it controlled by a timer.

More details in the report:
http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docsummary.php?docID=1162

sfxdude

There are numerous places where you could get really close with conventional signalling - Kings Cross E/B on the Picc, Baker Street O/R, Liverpool Street O/R to mention just a few off the top of my head.

If you're thinking of the speed control draw up signals they're on the westbound on the Picc :P </pedant>

But yes. Even on the Pic there are many places where you stop and can clearly see into the rear cab of the train in front.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
If you're thinking of the speed control draw up signals they're on the westbound on the Picc :P </pedant>

But yes. Even on the Pic there are many places where you stop and can clearly see into the rear cab of the train in front.

....or in days of yore you could have 'applied the rule' and got even closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.