• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Safeguarded RST on Stena Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

ge-gn

Good morning,

In the past I have enjoyed free travel on the Stena Line service from Harwich to The Hoek with my "priv", only being liable to pay port taxes.

I'm considering another trip to the continent on this service but I can't find any reference to it on the ATOC rail staff travel site.

Has this facility been quietly dropped would any of you folk know.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Phil.

Established Member
Good morning,

In the past I have enjoyed free travel on the Stena Line service from Harwich to The Hoek with my "priv", only being liable to pay port taxes.

I'm considering another trip to the continent on this service but I can't find any reference to it on the ATOC rail staff travel site.

Thanks.

And while we're about it what about Weymouth Channel Islands nowadays?

Established Member
Good morning,

Thanks.

No still available, but one return journey per year. On the form where you apply for your continental free passes, there is a box to tick for Harwich - Hoek. There is no need to date a box on your staff travel card to go on the ferry.

You still need port taxes, and a cabin for overnight services, but these can be obtained by just phoning the Stena Line public number or in person at Parkeston.

The cabins are quota controlled for rail staff however, so best to book in advance.

Is Hoek van Holland too long to type?

You've answered your own question there ;)

Last edited:

Groningen

Established Member
You've answered your own question there

Do not think so. But that is a different matter. Although Rotterdam is sometimes R'dam and Amsterdam is A'dam by hitchhikers. The town of Hippolytushoef is sometimes called Hipo.

Just a quick question; so i do not need to open a new topic. What stations are covered by Greater Anglia stations? Is Liverpool Street also one of them?

ge-gn

Do not think so. But that is a different matter. Although Rotterdam is sometimes R'dam and Amsterdam is A'dam by hitchhikers. The town of Hippolytushoef is sometimes called Hipo.

Just a quick question; so i do not need to open a new topic. What stations are covered by Greater Anglia stations? Is Liverpool Street also one of them?

Greater Anglia stations include (London) Liverpool Street. Is London Liverpool Street too long to type?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
No still available, but one return journey per year. On the form where you apply for your continental free passes, there is a box to tick for Harwich - Hoek. There is no need to date a box on your staff travel card to go on the ferry.

You still need port taxes, and a cabin for overnight services, but these can be obtained by just phoning the Stena Line public number or in person at Parkeston.

The cabins are quota controlled for rail staff however, so best to book in advance.

Thanks for your help. Seems strange its not mentioned in the "where can I go" section on the ATOC site but there you go! Thanks again.

ge-gn

Anyone taken breakfast on the Hollandica before? Just wondering if upon arrival at The Hoek one is chased off immediately, or if those dining are afforded a bit of time to finish breakfast comfortably.

smudga331

Anyone taken breakfast on the Hollandica before? Just wondering if upon arrival at The Hoek one is chased off immediately, or if those dining are afforded a bit of time to finish breakfast comfortably.

From past experience, they aren't usually in too much of a hurry to get rid of you unless you have a car on-board as obviously, 1 vehicle can delay the discharge of the entire ship. I think they can allow foot passengers a few extra minutes as the ship lays over in Hoek van Holland for around 8 hours before returning back to Harwich. Whereas in Harwich, the port staff have the same amount of work to do in around 3 hours 45 minutes.

Phil.

Established Member
It's not apparent to me on ATOC. Was it ever?

Well Sealink ran Weymouth - C.I. Then someone else took over and as I have restriction "0" on my card I could still use it. The last time I did was thirty years ago. Now it's run by Condor out of Poole so................?

ge-gn

Well Sealink ran Weymouth - C.I. Then someone else took over and as I have restriction "0" on my card I could still use it. The last time I did was thirty years ago. Now it's run by Condor out of Poole so................?

Pass.

All I can suggest is giving RSTL or Condor a call.

LAX54

Established Member

and of course you can still use priv rate :) If you take car, its' a 50% discount, again limited for 'staff' cabins are normal public rate, no limits on how many crossings per year.

Established Member

I always take breakfast when travelling on the Hollandica, but as I've always had a train to catch I've always tried to get there in good time. I don't think they're in any rush to get rid of you once you're sat down, but it's worth bearing in mind that entry to the breakfast area closes shortly before arrival, so make sure you actually get there promptly.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
AFAIAA you can apply for two "free" coupons per calendar year. Each coupon has two perforated control sections which are detached and given to the check in staff at the port. So you can have two crossings in the three month validity of the coupon.

You still have to book your crossing with Stena direct & pay the port tax (currently £5 ea way) and any cabin & meal charges as required.

With your FIP card you can get unlimited but quota controlled crossings at 50% + port tax + cabin/meals if required.

dutchflyer

Established Member
Coming originally from that area, I can confirm that locally NOONe ever uses the full name for HvH-its always ''de Hoek'' en formerly de ''engelse boot'' or the Harwichboot, which should be clear enough.
Rotterdam is usually nicknamed Rotjeknor, which is kind of un-translateable in english. Amsterdam is ''Mokum'' for locals, which apparently originates from old-style Jiddish. jokingly also ''groot-Mokum'' (=big).

ge-gn

Thank you for all the previous guidance.

So I've applied for my free return ferry trip, and also some free rail travel coupons on NS. I note that the Dutch transport system operates with smart card access now. Will I receive one of these with my coupons?

Status
Not open for further replies.