• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Safeguarded Staff Rail Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelbud

I hope you can help regarding a question about rail travel concessions...
I had 47 years service in the rail industry working for BR Enginering which became Brel Ltd, then Adtranz and now Bombardier.
I took redundancy in 1999 when the company was under the Adtranz ownership also took my rail pension. I was told that to carry on enjoying free rail travel concessions I would have to pay a yearly fee which I did for around 3 years and I decided to stop paying in 2004 as it was getting a bit expensive.
I recently have been told that I should have been offered my travel facility back at retirement as I was employed and was working before 1996 and this entitlement was safeguarded.
Any advice on this - many thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

steamybrian

Established Member
Consult with ATOC (Association of Train Operating Companies) on 0800 652 1700 who now handle all enquiries regarding retired staff travel facilities.
I was very surprised to hear that you had previously paid for your travel facilities as it was my understanding that these were given to you complimentary under the Railway Privatisation legislation for railway staff employed up to and including 1996.

angelbud

Thankyou for your reply
Yes i have spoken to them - not much info that they can give only that after privatisation Brel LTD were took over by Adtranz and they say that i signed a contract with them that states i have to pay for the concession if i take redundancy - as i did not continue to pay for the concession i gave up the right to any concession.
The reason i am looking into this after so long is that i met my then manager who told me that he was unsure if this was correct.
I guess no travel concession at all after 47 years service does not seem quite fare!...i have contacted Bombardier (who took over Adtranz) now to see what they say.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Thankyou for your reply
Yes i have spoken to them - not much info that they can give only that after privatisation Brel LTD were took over by Adtranz and they say that i signed a contract with them that states i have to pay for the concession if i take redundancy - as i did not continue to pay for the concession i gave up the right to any concession.
The reason i am looking into this after so long is that i met my then manager who told me that he was unsure if this was correct.
I guess no travel concession at all after 47 years service does not seem quite fare!...i have contacted Bombardier (who took over Adtranz) now to see what they say.

if you are in the union speak to them. They have asisited several peopel i know to get thier passes back after retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.