• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Safety of Leather Seats on Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Good evening,

I know quite a few forum members watch "All The Stations," and I noticed in their video featuring the 800 the man Geoff Marshall interviewed said that leather seats could not be fitted to modern trains due to safety reasons!

Why is this and is it true?

And if it is why do Le Frecce and Italo run around with leather upholstery?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Modern ones though. I don't know if 185s qualify but HSTs and 225s certainly don't.

najaB

Veteran Member
Modern ones though. I don't know if 185s qualify but HSTs and 225s certainly don't.
They have, however, had new leather seats fitted recently. I suspect the problem isn't leather, but pleather (plastic leather substitutes) as they can release rather interesting cocktails of chemicals when they burn.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
They have, however, had new leather seats fitted recently. I suspect the problem isn't leather, but pleather (plastic leather substitutes) as they can release rather interesting cocktails of chemicals when they burn.

It's known as PU leather actually, a bonded synthetic material generally made from polyurethane

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Thought this was going to be about the slippiness of some of the "leather" seats that appeared on buses in the last 10-15 years or so (they were popular with First a while back) but whilst on buses at least they could cause a bruise if there's a sudden swerve or stop, I wouldn't say they were actually a genuine danger.

najaB

Veteran Member
It's known as PU leather actually, a bonded synthetic material generally made from polyurethane
The good stuff is, the lesser quality material can be polyvinyl and other such fun stuff.

They are *so* interesting when they burn.

thenorthern

Established Member
With seats I know they are designed to be ones that will melt if a naked flame is placed against them but won't burn if that naked flame is taken away. I know the Metrolink has a lot of seats that have been burnt by chavs and yobs trying to put a lighter on the seats.

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Leather is great, wipe clean etc.

But not particularly hard wearing, it's also uncomfortable to sit on when it's hot weather as you quickly become hot and sweaty. Also if the seat has been in the sun for a while while you can get your backside or legs burnt when you sit down on it.

100andthirty

What change of regulations? The current fire standards for rolling stock seat are, if anything slightly easier to comply with than the old ones. Much was made about successful fire tests on the e-leather (whatever that is) seats on the class 185s at a conference a couple of weeks ago.

Nothing wrong with the seats on the IET that a bit of colour and padding wouldnt fix. Leather is over-rated on train seats in my view.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Leather is overrated on any seats. It looks premium but it's sticky and slippy in the opposite ways you want it to be (you want not to stick to the seat when wanting to move but want not to slip when the vehicle corners, it does the opposite). Very pleased the 800s don't have it myself.

Where it does look good and function well is leather *headrests* as will feature on the new GA Aventras and hopefully the WCML ones too.

mpthomson

And originally in cars the chauffeur got the leather seat and the inside passengers had wool/velvet seats instead. I seem to recall that the newer royal cars also continue this.I don't like leather seats, I think the purple GC ones are awful things.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
And originally in cars the chauffeur got the leather seat and the inside passengers had wool/velvet seats instead. I seem to recall that the newer royal cars also continue this.I don't like leather seats, I think the purple GC ones are awful things.

Grand Central? They don't have leather, do they?

mallard

Established Member
Whatever the reason, it's excellent news that they're not using it in new trains.

Since the installation of "leather" seating on the 222s, I consider first class to be less comfortable and pleasant to travel in than standard! EMT have lost literally tens of pounds of revenue from my turning down first class in preference for standard. Horrible cheap stuff that's either fake or so coated in protective layers that it may as well be plastic.

Maybe the entire industry will start actually caring about passenger comfort, rather than just what sounds good in advertising... Yeah, I can dream.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Grand Central? They don't have leather, do they?

Yep, purple leather. They're still the old IC70 shape, just recovered in leather. It's okay to sit on, but the colour is a bit garish.

I agree with your earlier comments about leather being slippy in the wrong ways - in my view, moquette is superior to actually sit on, though I suspect it's much higher maintenance and more difficult to clean.

Western Lord

Presumably there is no safety issue with leather as many airliners have leather seats. More likely been "banned" so as not to cause offence to vegans.

Howardh

Established Member
Leather is overrated on any seats.
Leather/faux leather; completely agree. Jet2 have them on some of their planes and at the end of the flight you have to be prized off them. It's companies trying to look classy when in fact they're crap.

mpthomson

Leather/faux leather; completely agree. Jet2 have them on some of their planes and at the end of the flight you have to be prized off them. It's companies trying to look classy when in fact they're crap.

That and the fact that it's harder wearing and much quicker to clean, resulting in reduced turn round times at airports/termini, and increased utilisation. I just don't find it as comfy as cloth. Even the real leather they use has been through a special process as it's actually offcuts, it's certainly not the stuff that furniture or high end car manufacturers use.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That and the fact that it's harder wearing and much quicker to clean, resulting in reduced turn round times at airports/termini, and increased utilisation. I just don't find it as comfy as cloth. Even the real leather they use has been through a special process as it's actually offcuts, it's certainly not the stuff that furniture or high end car manufacturers use.

Indeed, it's leather fibres in a plastic (of some kind) matrix.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

It's what business calls a "win win situation" - easier to maintain *and* people think it's classy.

Personally I prefer moquette, though I do like the idea of leather headrests or headrest insets, that's the bit of the seat that really gets mucky (some people have incredibly greasy hair or oils etc in it).

Status
Not open for further replies.