• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sailrail to Belfast question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnasher11

Hi, firstly apologies as I know this subject has been covered before! I have read through previous threads, but would still like some clarification.

I was due to fly Heathrow to Belfast City on 24th August for a gig that night, however this has now been announced as one of the BA Strike days. So I started looking at Sailrail instead.

Loco 2 gives me an option to leave London on the 23rd August on the Caledonian Sleeper and arrive in Belfast at 13:45 on Saturday 24th. But it gives warnings that some of the timings are tight.

I haven't been able to get any other Site to offer this journey option (Obviously I haven't checked them all)

Could some knowledgeable soul check over the attached itinerary and advise whether I'm likely to encounter any issues? And is the ticket definitely valid on the sleeper? (seat not berth obviously)

The ticket says that it is an Anytime day single, so would the fact that travel would start on the 23rd and the ferry on the 24th be an issue?

I did consider booking from Penzance, just for the sheer hell of it, but it looks like I will be in London on the Friday now.

Many Thanks

Attachments

• sailrail.JPG
    sailrail.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 40
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bangor-toad

Hi there,
The itinerary you've shown is valid for an Anytime Day Single - even though it's over two days. It's valid as the connectoins are always to the first possible train. I've had this itinerary offered to me a few times when I've looked.

The key issue is the 9 minute connection in Kilmarnock. If the trains are on time this isn't a problem. However a minor delay to the second train means you miss the ferry you want. If you're coming over here for a gig it might be a bit too risky. I personally wouldn't go for this.

If SailRail is what you want, have a look at the evening service to Holyhead and the overmight ferry to DUblin then the train up to Belfast. It's ggot much more tolerance to delays and would be marginally less sleep than the WCML sleeper to Carlisle.
Or, if the WCML is the way you want to go, if you get the 05:40 Euston to Glasgow service on Saturday morning you can get to Belfast by 5:45pm travelling via Glasgow & Ayr. (And possibly get a complimentary 1st upgrade on the Virgin leg).

If flights to Belfast are too expensive, it's very easy to get the coach from Dubln airport to Belfast.

Enjoy the gig!
Cheers,
Mr Toad

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They're valid connections. So providing you are OK with the risk of being put on a later ferry, go for it.

philthetube

Established Member
Alternatively ferry from Birkenhead to Belfast , can be done overnight, giving you the day in Belfast before the gig. there appear to be no through fares though.

Costs currently £20 each way day sailing £30 overnight. It seems as if a cabin costs £60 regardless of numbers using it which seems very reasonable.

Totally off topic so please do not take this further but if you want something to smile about ask google maps for a route to Birkenhead port and see what it comes up with. :?::?::?:

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Alternatively ferry from Birkenhead to Belfast , can be done overnight, giving you the day in Belfast before the gig. there appear to be no through fares though.

Costs currently £20 each way day sailing £30 overnight. It seems as if a cabin costs £60 regardless of numbers using it which seems very reasonable.

Totally off topic so please do not take this further but if you want something to smile about ask google maps for a route to Birkenhead port and see what it comes up with. :?::?::?:
I'd normally second that but the only berth available for the overnight crossing on 23/8 is a wheelchair accessible one, strictly for disabled passengers only, with everything else sold out.

Gnasher11

Thanks for all of the detailed replies, I had looked at the overnight Birkenhead ferry, but had discounted it as no berths were available for my date.
I note that it is bookable without though.

Based on cost, can't really do much better than the anytime Sailrail fare of £56 via Carlisle and Cairnryan!

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'd be tempted to fly Ryanair - £87.71 from Stansted at 20:40 on 23/8.

It's £31.20 from Manchester on 23/8 but that involves a 06:30 start.

Gnasher11

Thanks for that suggestion, but I was trying to avoid having to pay for a 2nd nights accommodation in Belfast.

Status
Not open for further replies.