• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Salisbury to Hertford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Closet2405

I will be travelling from Salisbury to Hertford (either North or East is fine, arriving some time in the afternoon or early evening) on Saturday 29th October and returning Sunday 30th October (leaving some time in the afternoon).

The only ticket I can see is an Off-Peak return (£31 with 16-25 railcard discount); the route offered online is Salisbury to Waterloo, Waterloo to Vauxhall, tube to Tottenham Hale or Highbury and Islington, and then train from there to Herford.

My question is, do I need to take this route across London, or would I be able to take the tube from Waterloo to Kings Cross and pick up a Hertford train there? Also, if I were to break my journey in London would I lose the cross-London transfer part of my ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

iantherev

No problem going Waterloo - King's Cross. Often when I'm travelling back from Cambridge, the planner will route me via the Victoria line. I always ignore it as I pefer to join the Exeter train at Waterloo rather than Clapham Junction - never encountered a proble.

Last edited:

Romilly

Established Member
The OP won't be able to pick up a Hertford North train at London Kings Cross on the Saturday as the Hertford North trains run from Moorgate. So although the £31 ticket is valid for travel via London Waterloo and London Kings Cross, using that route will require a change at Finsbury Park: either onto a Hertford North service, or onto the underground to Tottenham Hale for a connection onto a train to Hertford East. And the same will apply in reverse on the Sunday.

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Though the OP is free to get the tube to Moorgate for a Hertford train from there.

Also, if I were to break my journey in London would I lose the cross-London transfer part of my ticket?

If you leave at an intermediate tube station you won't be allowed back in on the same ticket, and will either have to make your own way to King's Cross/Liverpool Street/Moorgate etc, or pay a tube fare.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Highbury & Islington is better than Finsburys Park for changing from the Victoria Line to a Hertford North service. It's a simple cross platform interchange.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Highbury & Islington is better than Finsburys Park for changing from the Victoria Line to a Hertford North service. It's a simple cross platform interchange.
Yes, but you could alternatively take a Great Northern train to Finsbury Park from King's Cross and likely have a same platform interchange too, which (weather permitting) may be favourable as you can walk around and get fresh air, buy a coffee and wait for what could be a while as weekend trains can be a bit hit and miss right now.

It may well be worth going to Tottenham Hale, or Liverpool Street, for a Hertford East service instead.

Closet2405

Thanks for the replies everyone, it's a while since I got a London to Hertford train so I didnt realise they went from Moorgate now and not Kings Cross

I'll probably end up breaking my journey in central London, and then just use oyster on the tube from there to Liverpool Street or Highbury and Islington.

Veteran Member
Thanks for the replies everyone, it's a while since I got a London to Hertford train so I didnt realise they went from Moorgate now and not Kings Cross

Weekend services out of Moorgate were only reinstated a year or two back IIRC.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Make sure to check how the trains are running, as far too many trains at weekends can be cancelled due to a shortage of crew, which can then make the next train very crowded.

I'd personally go to Hertford East to be on the safe side (checking there's no engineering work of course!).

Status
Not open for further replies.