• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Salisbury to Waterloo split at Surbiton

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Afternoon,

I'm currently on a Salisbury to Waterloo service, purchased my ticket as far as Surbiton because I'll then use Oyster for the remainder of the journey into Waterloo (I'm using the tube around London today, so I'll reach the cap anyway).

On my return journey though, I'll need to use Oyster between Waterloo and Surbiton, then Surbiton to Salisbury, changing at Woking. My only concern is that from Woking, the Salisbury or Exeter train might be quite busy with passengers already on the train from Waterloo and Clapham Junction. Could I board the train at Waterloo and show my Oyster history and essentially 'split ticket' (between Oyster and standard rail fare)?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
How are you touching in at Surbiton in the up direction? Changing at Woking and Surbiton? I think that’s your only option in both directions.

You cannot go through Surbiton non-stop whether your Oyster is capped or not, if you happen to get away with entering at Waterloo and getting on a Salisbury train you’ll end up with a maximum fare outside the cap anyway.

Kilopylae

It is my understanding that there is no requirement to tap out at the boundary station if you are traveling using a combination of an Oyster ticket within the Zones and an ordinary National Rail ticket from a boundary station to your final destination. It is also my understanding that there is also no requirement that the train you use to make your journey calls at the boundary station. Therefore, you should be fine to board the train at Waterloo and remain on it all the way through to Salisbury.

This thread may be of use to you: [https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/60-oyster-card-extension-ticket-where-to-tap.192715/]. Yorkie quotes from the iKB in relation to the 60+ Oyster, confirming what I said above; I would be very surprised if this did not also apply also to ordinary Oyster tickets. However, it may be worth waiting for someone with access to the iKB or another authoritative source to confirm this.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It is my understanding that there is no requirement to tap out at the boundary station if you are traveling using a combination of an Oyster ticket within the Zones and an ordinary National Rail ticket from a boundary station to your final destination. It is also my understanding that there is also no requirement that the train you use to make your journey calls at the boundary station. Therefore, you should be fine to board the train at Waterloo and remain on it all the way through to Salisbury.

This thread may be of use to you: [https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/60-oyster-card-extension-ticket-where-to-tap.192715/]. Yorkie quotes from the iKB in relation to the 60+ Oyster, confirming what I said above; I would be very surprised if this did not also apply also to ordinary Oyster tickets. However, it may be worth waiting for someone with access to the iKB or another authoritative source to confirm this.
He talks about daily capping, so he must be using PAYG, not an Oyster Travelcard season. There are no “ordinary Oyster tickets”.
In which case he must touch in and out, no alternative procedure exists.

Last edited:

Lewlew

The train will empty out a fair bit at Woking so you will very likely get a seat if you head towards the front. It'll empty out even more at Basingstoke where I will be very surprised if you definitely didn't get a seat from there (Only 20 mins from Woking)

hkstudent

Established Member
Next time, it would be better for OP to get a Zone 1-6 day paper travelcard (select journeys like Surbiton - London Waterloo on ticket retail / TOC site), so he can combine the tickets, and no need to get off at Surbiton.

A Zone1-6 paper day travelcard is 13.50 while day cap is 13.20. Not much difference.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Next time, it would be better for OP to get a Zone 1-6 day paper travelcard (select journeys like Surbiton - London Waterloo on ticket retail / TOC site), so he can combine the tickets, and no need to get off at Surbiton.

A Zone1-6 paper day travelcard is 13.50 while day cap is 13.20. Not much difference.
If he’s travelling offpeak from Salisbury, as implied from the first post, then a combined “outboundary travelcard” is significantly easier to buy, and with railcard discounts available as well...

Last edited:

hkstudent

Established Member
If he’s travelling offpeak from Salisbury, as implied from the first post, then a combined “outboundary travelcard” is significantly less again, and with railcard discounts available as well...
Indeed. Even for Advance tickets, the fare scale to Surbiton and London Waterloo costed the same...
So I don't understand why OP only buys to Surbiton if OP is holding an advance ticket.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Indeed. Even for Advance tickets, the fare scale to Surbiton and London Waterloo costed the same...
So I don't understand why OP only buys to Surbiton if OP is holding an advance ticket.

I haven't got an Advance ticket. I have an Off Peak Return.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Of using Oyster PAYG you must touch in and out at Surbiton.

If you don’t tap on on the way to London you will not have a valid ticket on passing Surbiton, could face a Penalty Fare or prosecution and will end up paying a maximum fare upon tapping out at Waterloo.

On the return from London a capped Oyster doesn’t count as a valid ticket so you could face a Penalty Fare or prosecution as well as a maximum fare.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I'm on my way to Woking now, on the 1914 from Surbiton which is running late. Really touch and go if I make the 19:47 from Woking to Salisbury!! In theory this is why this isn't a good idea :lol:

Will certainly remember this for next time!

infobleep

Veteran Member
I'm on my way to Woking now, on the 1914 from Surbiton which is running late. Really touch and go if I make the 19:47 from Woking to Salisbury!! In theory this is why this isn't a good idea :lol:

Will certainly remember this for next time!
If you do miss it, just think of the amount you saved in money.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I wouldn't want to try squeeze onto the 19:47 service as it's pick-up only from Woking so you don't even get the benefits of passengers alighting.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Looking king again it seems you might make the connection but it may depend on what the signaller does, as you may arrive towards Woking at a similar time to the Salisbury train and you need to cross its path to reach platform 3.

However the minimum connection time is 5 minutes so if you miss the train, delay repay is due as your will have allowed more than the minimum connection time to catch the train to Salisbury.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I made it with about 60 seconds to spare. I cleverly positioned myself in the very front carriage of the Woking stopper, so that I was at the front of the bay platform to get to 4, but there was a last minute change onto platform 5 as a pair of 442s were stabled on platform 4! But I'm on my way! It's very busy but I've got a two seater to myself.

Quite shocked at how few fast services there are between Surbiton and Woking in the peaks mind!

infobleep

Veteran Member
I made it with about 60 seconds to spare. I cleverly positioned myself in the very front carriage of the Woking stopper, so that I was at the front of the bay platform to get to 4, but there was a last minute change onto platform 5 as a pair of 442s were stabled on platform 4! But I'm on my way! It's very busy but I've got a two seater to myself.

Quite shocked at how few fast services there are between Surbiton and Woking in the peaks mind!
The evening fast and semi fast services are these:
16:40 to Alton (semi-fast)
17:00 to Basingstoke (semi-fast)
17;39 to Basingstoke (fast)
18:09 to Basingstoke (semi-fast)
18:40 to Basingstoke (fast)
20:00 to Basingstoke (semi-fast)
20:10 to Alton (semi-fast)

Be greatful that the higher capacity timetable hasn't been implemented yet, if it will be. That even further decreased the number of fast trains from Surbtion to Woking in the evening peak. I think went down to zero.

The main annoying period is 19:00 to 20:00. You go from 2 an hour to nothing and then back to 4 an hour from 20:00 onwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.