• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

saltburn to darlington diagrams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Does anyone know which saltburn to darlington trains are booked for a 156 on a weekday?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
As far as I'm aware a 156 only turns up if there has been a failure earlier on in the day. Certainly the number of times I've seen 156s on Saltburn - Darlo (maybe 4/5 in the last 3/4 years) would suggest that's the case.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The early morning Bishop -Nunthorpe turn often used to be a 156 but that was at least a year ago. My Darlo related knowledge has slipped somewhat

Recently i have only had pacers

simon7929

Before the last timetable change in September the last one down the main line from Newcastle to Middlesbrough (SO) was booked a 156. Not sure if it still is. This set then worked empty back to Darlington from Middlesbrough, stabled and cleaned, then utilised the following day on locals. 1410 ish DAR-SLB (Suo) could be one of the duties within the diagram.

Established Member
The last train from Newcastle to Middlesbrough via Durham used to be always a 142, regardless of what it was diagrammed to be. Since the timetable change, this doesn't run but there is a service right through to Saltburn and I would guess that it also a 142.

There also used to be at least one turn using a 156 on the Bishop Auckland - Saltburn line, and you'd often see it stabled at Darlo at nighttime. However last few times I've been on the line I haven't seen one, expect the Whitby train which is always a 156 now, so could be that it is 100% Pacers.

simon7929

The last one from Newcastle to Middlesbrough via the main line only runs on a Saturday night (So). Through the week it runs as far as Darlington then ECS to York. There is a Newcastle to Saltburn service via Durham that runs a little earlier on a Sunday night only.

Established Member
The last one from Newcastle to Middlesbrough via the main line only runs on a Saturday night (So). Through the week it runs as far as Darlington then ECS to York. There is a Newcastle to Saltburn service via Durham that runs a little earlier on a Sunday night only.

Ah yes, Sunday is the Saltburn train. However before the timetable change there was a 22.xx (might have been bang on 22.00) which went from Newcastle to Middlesbrough via Durham. More often than not, this would be made up from the last train in from Morpeth, so 142 just about always. Used this train a good few times, and it did seem to be quite popular for those going back to Durham and Darlington after a day out (and few drinks) in Newcastle.

Established Member
Now it leaves 2150 and arrives Boro around 2317. Like you say quite a few jolly folk on that one.

This on Saturdays only? Sure the one before the timetable change used to run all week.

Funnily enough as I write this, there are signalling problems at Hartlepool so trains are being diverted via Darlo.

simon7929

Thats correct. Saturdays only from last May. This was because they put on a late service to Middlesbrough from Newcastle via the coast at the timetable change too. However this service runs earlier on a Saturday hence the need to run the main line service throughout to the Boro.

Status
Not open for further replies.