• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Saltley Tales

Status
Not open for further replies.

malcolmj

Forgive me for joining the thread (first time I have posted anywhere on anything) but I “googled Maurice Newman" as I was trying to contact him as the details I got from my father’s address book seemed to get me nowhere.

My father transferred to Saltley in 1965 (from Burton Loco) and became good friends with Maurice who also used to run overseas trips (primarily of interest for railwaymen and my father went on a number of these) including collecting a few foreign steam engines (not many people in the UK were qualified to drive these but my father and I assume Maurice were).

I also think they visited the Severn Valley (and at one stage explored volunteer driving after retirement) and the Nene Vally but not sure what became of either as both were basically too far for Dad to travel regularly.

It is with some sadness that I report that James (Jim) Jackson , died on Saturday 8 January at Queens Hospital Burton after a short illness. Although previously in reasonably good health, he struggled for the last 4 years due to deteriorating eyesight (he had macular degeneration).

His funeral will take place at 3.45 pm on Friday 21 January at Bretby Crematorium (near Burton).

Jim joined MR at Burton Loco in 1941 as a young cleaner and then progressed via fireman to passed fireman and when he passed as a driver he moved to Saltley Depot for 4 years where he meet and became good friends with Maurice. He basically loved the area where he was born (South Derbyshire) so although he had a very happy time at Saltley (and would talk about it often), he happily returned to Burton until the shed closed. After a short transfer to Derby, he finally got a move to Coalville Depot where he stayed for over 10 happy years until his retirement (after 46 years service) in late 1987.

He was known as “a bit of a character” but he retained his love of railways for all of his life and maybe some of the readers/your friends will remember my father Jim well ?

For those that don't please look lower down this chain as there is a mention of Tony Gregory’s book “Life on the Leicester Line” which dedicates a chapter to my father (Chapter 14 “The Trouble with Jim”) !

- many will miss him and the Railway Benefit Fund would appreciate any donations in his memory

Best Wishes to all
Malcolm Jackson (son)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

saltleyloco

I would like to know if anyone out there can remember the 40s 50s and 60s, I used to go to the shed to meet my dad coming off shift and look round the sheds, he even used to pick me up at bromford bridge and take me on the footplate to manchester ( bacon and egg on the shovel )and back, it is a pity about the demise of what was a great shed from steam through to diesel. I would like to know if anyone new driver Bert Emery.

Last edited:
I would like to know if anyone out there can remember the 40s 50s and 60s, I used to go to the shed to meet my dad coming off shift and look round the sheds, he even used to pick me up at bromford bridge and take me on the footplate to manchester ( bacon and egg on the shovel )and back, it is a pity about the demise of what was a great shed from steam through to diesel. I would like to know if anyone new driver Bert Emery.

Hello saltleyloco,
I was at Saltley MPD from 1963 until taking early retirement in 2006.I fired to Bert a few times on the Saltley Carriage sidings shunting loco,which was a Fowler Tank engine numbered 42400,which was always clean,inside as well as outside.Most of our time was spent in the shunters cabin,with the shunters.There is a website www.railchat.co.uk that has a forum with several threads ,among them Saltley Stories,which is a gold mine of tales and photographs.
Best regards,Lower Quadrant.

Rapid response on Railchat Saltley page,saltleyloco.. It depicts your father with his fireman for the day, at Saltley carriage sidings.I received the firemans` permission to post the photograph.

2011-02-18_125215.png

Last edited:

saltleyloco

I would like to say a big thank you to Lower Quadrant for the information and the fantastic photo of my old dad, One thing you did not mention was that he could be a stubborn old bugger in his ways more so as he got older but one thing he really enjoyed was driving steam engines, in fact he retired not long after he transfered to diesels with ill health and I think missing steam days.

Thanks a lot
Saltleyloco.

I would like to say a big thank you to Lower Quadrant for the information and the fantastic photo of my old dad, One thing you did not mention was that he could be a stubborn old bugger in his ways more so as he got older but one thing he really enjoyed was driving steam engines, in fact he retired not long after he transfered to diesels with ill health and I think missing steam days.

Thanks a lot
Saltleyloco.

There is another photograph of your dad coming up,from a former saltley fireman who now resides in Canada.

saltleyloco

Thank you Lower Quadrent for letting me know of the new picture that will be arriving later I will look forward to seeing it, I let my brother know that you had posted the first picture of our dad in fact the first picture we have ever seen of our father on the footplate, we only ever had holiday photos.
On talking to my brother he said the big fasination he had on visiting saltley loco was watching the engines on the roundtable and how easy it worked,another memory you brought back by talking about shunting was as kids we watched the shunting in the steel tube works at Bromford Bridge.

Once again thanks for the memorys.
Ray Emery (Saltleyloco).

sykarost

Hi Saltleyloco & Lower Quadrant,
Great to see that photo of Bert on 6448, I recognise Bert but don't think I ever fired for him. I did fire 6448 a few times however, like Berts Fireman, I too used to wear a white shirt & black 'knitted tie'!! (why, I don't know).
The mention of 2400 & the SCS shunt reminded me that we also had 2421 at Saltley, both could also be seen on local passenger work as well but also if my memory is correct, often worked '33 Trip' between WWH West End & Lawley St & known as 'The Flying Flea' & not without good reason. When the Bonus Scheme was introduced it became a 'nice little earner' to race backwards & forwards with (was it up to 5 vehicles ?) a few fitted vans & a tail lamp with the Guard on the Loco. With the support of the Signalmen, '33 trip' certainly 'flew'!!
The mention of 'Bacon & Eggs' also evokes memories galore. For obvious reasons, this 'culinery art' was practised predominantly on Trip/Shunt duties during breaks. As a 16 year old 'Passed Cleaner' (62') I was booked with Ted Russell (RIP mate) in the Trip link's. One morning on 28 Trip, Ted was preparing Sausage,Egg & Mushrooms on a 4F in the Austin works at Longbridge. I was leaning over the cab side eyeing up the office girls crossing the footbridge & decided (stupidly...well I was only 16) to attract their attention by opening the blower! the rest is history but surprisingly the Egg remained on the shovel....We never saw the sausages & mushrooms again. Ted eventually forgave me & We enjoyed many meals & happy days together.

Saltleyman

Hi Saltleyloco & Lower Quadrant,
Great to see that photo of Bert on 6448, I recognise Bert but don't think I ever fired for him. I did fire 6448 a few times however, like Berts Fireman, I too used to wear a white shirt & black 'knitted tie'!! (why, I don't know).
The mention of 2400 & the SCS shunt reminded me that we also had 2421 at Saltley, both could also be seen on local passenger work as well but also if my memory is correct, often worked '33 Trip' between WWH West End & Lawley St & known as 'The Flying Flea' & not without good reason. When the Bonus Scheme was introduced it became a 'nice little earner' to race backwards & forwards with (was it up to 5 vehicles ?) a few fitted vans & a tail lamp with the Guard on the Loco. With the support of the Signalmen, '33 trip' certainly 'flew'!!
The mention of 'Bacon & Eggs' also evokes memories galore. For obvious reasons, this 'culinery art' was practised predominantly on Trip/Shunt duties during breaks. As a 16 year old 'Passed Cleaner' (62') I was booked with Ted Russell (RIP mate) in the Trip link's. One morning on 28 Trip, Ted was preparing Sausage,Egg & Mushrooms on a 4F in the Austin works at Longbridge. I was leaning over the cab side eyeing up the office girls crossing the footbridge & decided (stupidly...well I was only 16) to attract their attention by opening the blower! the rest is history but surprisingly the Egg remained on the shovel....We never saw the sausages & mushrooms again. Ted eventually forgave me & We enjoyed many meals & happy days together.

Hi sykarost

I should imagine that I would know you I started at Saltley in 1963 and was there until 2006, what was your check number mine was 1177 ?

sykarost

I started in April 62 & was originally 1020 which later changed to 928. I moved on in Feb 68 to 'pastures new' but my final 12 months I was booked with Tom Wootton (RIP)and I admit to shedding a tear as I took my last walk up Duddeston Mill Road!!

PS: We probably still 'rub shoulders' if you attend the monthly club meetings??

Last edited:

9K43

Thanks a lot
Saltleyloco.

I am really glad that this post has turned out to be fantastic for you and your family.
It just shows the power of modern communications.
It is a wrench when you work on the big iron road one day, then the next you are road learning all the local shops and doing the shopping with her that must be obayed.
I have worked with many friends on the railway like your dad, it was a pleasure to come to work, as they treated a young lad like a grandson.
In those 40 years there is a wealth of knowledge which can be passed down to a new starter.

Happy Days.
HM K43 daily shunt turn with an 08 anywhere between Sowerby Bridge and Castlford. SO 04:45hrs, shunt as required.

Saltleyman

I started in April 62 & was originally 1020 which later changed to 928. I moved on in Feb 68 to 'pastures new' but my final 12 months I was booked with Tom Wootton (RIP)and I admit to shedding a tear as I took my last walk up Duddeston Mill Road!!

PS: We probably still 'rub shoulders' if you attend the monthly club meetings??

I had a few happy days firing/secondmanning to Tommy Wooton he was a gent one of the "old school" it was a pleasure to come to work in those days !
I take it the monthly club meeting you refer to is the one held at Tyseley every first Tuesday of the month ? If so I've only attended one last November but am hoping to come to some more.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I had a few happy days firing/secondmanning to Tommy Wooton he was a gent one of the "old school" it was a pleasure to come to work in those days !
I take it the monthly club meeting you refer to is the one held at Tyseley every first Tuesday of the month ? If so I've only attended one last November but am hoping to come to some more.
You may be interested in having a look at WWW.Railchat.co.uk. look in the forum you'll find a few ex Saltley men on there,look in the Train Drivers section there's a thread about Saltley.

Last edited:

tonyderidem

You may be interested in having a look at WWW.Railchat.co.uk. look in the forum you'll find a few ex Saltley men on there,look in the Train Drivers section there's a thread about Saltley.
i remember tommy wootton.ive got a video of him driving blackprince on one of john peels railway series in the 80s.also been with him on trippers at sy.lovely guy.so was eddie irving,stan massey.arthur taylor.salt of the seagulls.proud to have worked with them.on the diesels..

sykarost

Yes, Tom was a great mate with a fantastic 'route card'...never knew where you would end up!! Try to make it if you can, its only a couple of hours but good to chat with former collegues/mates & like minded folk.
I have signed up & awaiting registration for that 'Railchat' forum but thanks for the info.
i remember tommy wootton.ive got a video of him driving blackprince on one of john peels railway series in the 80s.also been with him on trippers at sy.lovely guy.so was eddie irving,stan massey.arthur taylor.salt of the seagulls.proud to have worked with them.on the diesels..

I have a list in front of me of 86 Saltley Drivers & Passed Fireman who I worked with during a relatively short six year period. I remember every one of them ( more so than some recent collegues!) like it was yesterday. If only we could turn the clock back & return to those grimy, filthy, sweaty hard working days (& I'm not looking through rose tinted specs!) when teamwork & camaraderie between all BR staff (generally!) was the order of the day.
At least we enjoyed our work & all have that experience to look back on with the pride that you mention.
Regards, sykarost.

Saltleyman

Originally posted by sykarost.
At least we enjoyed our work & all have that experience to look back on with the pride that you mention.
Regards, sykarost.

Saltley was indeed a "special" depot to work at even uptil 1999/2000 when we changed from Railfreight Distribution 1994/1999(which was the last TOC on British Rail)to EWS. It all went "pear shaped" when "privatisation" and EWS reared their ugly heads things then went from bad to worse in a very short time. I was very glad to take early retirement in 2006,but I still have very fond memories of Saltley and the many men who I had the privilege to work with over my 43 year career.

Last edited:

9K43

Originally posted by sykarost.
Regards, sykarost.

Saltley was indeed a "special" depot to work at even uptil 1999/2000 when we changed from Railfreight Distribution 1994/1999(which was the last TOC on British Rail)to EWS. It all went "pear shaped" when "privatisation" and EWS reared their ugly heads things then went from bad to worse in a very short time. I was very glad to take early retirement in 2006,but I still have very fond memories of Saltley and the many men who I had the privilege to work with over my 43 year career.

It must be magic, the same happened at Healey Mills when this team of bully boys took charge.
EWS under the Canadian went even more down the drain, I was glad when he went back to Canada to go fur trapping.
Worst thing that happened to a railway.
Now HM is shut and all that remains is memories of some of the good times we had. Even HM181 Signal has been taken away.

tonyderidem

Yes, Tom was a great mate with a fantastic 'route card'...never knew where you would end up!! Try to make it if you can, its only a couple of hours but good to chat with former collegues/mates & like minded folk.
I have signed up & awaiting registration for that 'Railchat' forum but thanks for the info.

I have a list in front of me of 86 Saltley Drivers & Passed Fireman who I worked with during a relatively short six year period. I remember every one of them ( more so than some recent collegues!) like it was yesterday. If only we could turn the clock back & return to those grimy, filthy, sweaty hard working days (& I'm not looking through rose tinted specs!) when teamwork & camaraderie between all BR staff (generally!) was the order of the day.
Regards, sykarost.
too right.i remember doin the kAYS catalogue at shrub hill when roy stacker passed the banjo on the platform;ooooh with 25075.i went back on the cushions.stacker was caped..wot a man.

saltleyloco

Hi Skyroast would it be possible of you to put up that list of drivers for all to have a look at. that is if you have not already put it on the forum.

Best regards saltleyloco.

sykarost

These lists along with each steam/deisel loco I worked on are at present only on paper & with a failed printer/scanner I am unable to convert them to a PC file to upload. I am not sure however that it would be appropriate to do so on that scale. Mentioning the odd name of an individual knowing they or their family would not object is one thing, publishing a whole list of names might raise protocol issues which I hope you will appreciate.
Regards Sykarost
(not SKYROAST!!;))

saltleyloco

Hi Skyroast sorry you were not able to post the lists, but I understand your reasoning just a pity that I knew so many drivers and firemen from the 50s and 60s, I suppose there are not many of them around now, one nickname I remember well was a fireman that worked a lot with Bert Emery was ginger but I never new his proper name he was a great bloke to have on the footplate with you, when they stopped at Bromford bridge they always let the kids on the footplate while waiting for the signals to change and they always offered you a cup of tea from the billy can and we drank it out of the can lid.
The other thing we did a lot was put a penny on the line under the bridge and it always came out twice the size and to think elf & safety came along afterwards and all that stopped.

Thanks
Saltleyloco

Last edited:

sykarost

Hi Skyroast sorry you were not able to post the lists, but I understand your reasoning just a pity that I knew so many drivers and firemen from the 50s and 60s, I suppose there are not many of them around now, one nickname I remember well was a fireman that worked a lot with Bert Emery was ginger but I never new his proper name he was a great bloke to have on the footplate with you, when they stopped at Bromford bridge they always let the kids on the footplate while waiting for the signals to change and they always offered you a cup of tea from the billy can and we drank it out of the can lid.
The other thing we did a lot was put a penny on the line under the bridge and it always came out twice the size and to think elf & safety came along afterwards and all that stopped.

Thanks
Saltleyloco

Hi Saltleyloco,
Glad you understand my reluctance to share through the forum but maybe by some other method in the future. You brought back some memories there but can you remember if the tea was 'stewed' & tasted awful because I cannot imagine many Drivers/Firemen sharing a decent brew with kids!! I reckon these were all 'down' trains terminating at Washwood Heath & you got the dregs that were about to be thrown out.... Yuk! When I put pennies on the line I could never find them again.... probably should have put them under slow goods trains instead of expresses from New St to Euston (near Marston Green). I got to know a few Aston & Monument Lane crews who when they found out my Mother was a widow struggling to feed & clothe me & my younger Sister, used to throw off some massive lumps of coal (combined with a 'coded' whistle) for me to collect & keep our fire going in winter. I think it was the kindness of these guys that saw me arrive at Saltley, a mere 15 year old eager to ride the 'Iron Horse'!!..... sigh!!
Regards
Sykarost (or if slightly re-arranged...Skyroast!)

saltleyloco

Hi sykarost, Got your name right this time, no I think it was fair to say the tea was quite good and hot and in the winter we sometimes were given hot roast chestnuts straight from the shovel, not all drivers did it but there were a few who did & yes you were right you only put pennies under goods trains & as they had been stood at the signals they were only going slow under the bridge. And what you said about the driver & the coal for your mom was not uncommen, a lot of drivers helped poor families who had suffered during & after the war, their was a lot more compassion in those days and people cared about people less fortunate than themselves.
One thing I do remember was my dad being stopped by the railway police leaving saltleyloco after his shift and he was found to have a couple of the hand wiper rags in his bag and he got a right rollicking for the incident.

Best regards
Saltleyloco

Graleth

Dear all,
My grandfather, Percy Paget (born 11 July 1900) was a Steam Train driver (Jubilee Class 45660 Rooke) and my step father Geoffrey Roberts was his fireman. Percy came from Bushbury, Wolverhampton, (What was the equivalent shed there, Oxley ? Is there a link on here for them too ?) and then transferred to Saltley (not sure when).
Percy Paget died in 1954. Geoff continued there and passed as a Diesel driver, before joining Saltley Admin at a later date. Geoff married my mom, Kathleen Cogdell (nee Paget). Geoff died in 1972. Did you know them ? Is there a Photo gallery on here ? I spent many happy hours spotting at the Saltley Shed by the fence, before it was put out to pasture.

Toot, toot.

Ivor Cogdell
Hey folks,
Who would have the official records for Saltley now, if i wanted to find out more details of my relatives career ? Would there be a fee involved ? Can you suggest good internet sites for Saltley photos apart from this one ?

Many thanks,

Graleth
Hey folks or should that be Hey Seagulls,
I have just devoured the ten pages of absolute gems that you have posted in one sitting, great tales of a great place to work at, thank you all for posting great memories. I will have to start sorting some of my photos out and post them here (80's onwards). I did not realise the original layout of Saltley was so extensive.
Slightly off topic, does anybody know where Railway Terrace was in relation to the Wolverhampton Railway area (Bushbury). I know it was near the Slaughterhouse, but not the exact spot. (1920's era). Was it just a nickname for Railway workers accommodation ?

Thanks again,

Graleth

Last edited:

Saltleyman

Dear all,
My grandfather, Percy Paget (born 11 July 1900) was a Steam Train driver (Jubilee Class 45660 Rooke) and my step father Geoffrey Roberts was his fireman. Percy came from Bushbury, Wolverhampton, (What was the equivalent shed there, Oxley ? Is there a link on here for them too ?) and then transferred to Saltley (not sure when).
Percy Paget died in 1954. Geoff continued there and passed as a Diesel driver, before joining Saltley Admin at a later date. Geoff married my mom, Kathleen Cogdell (nee Paget). Geoff died in 1972. Did you know them ? Is there a Photo gallery on here ? I spent many happy hours spotting at the Saltley Shed by the fence, before it was put out to pasture.

Toot, toot.

Ivor Cogdell
Hey folks,
Who would have the official records for Saltley now, if i wanted to find out more details of my relatives career ? Would there be a fee involved ? Can you suggest good internet sites for Saltley photos apart from this one ?

Many thanks,

Graleth
Hey folks or should that be Hey Seagulls,
I have just devoured the ten pages of absolute gems that you have posted in one sitting, great tales of a great place to work at, thank you all for posting great memories. I will have to start sorting some of my photos out and post them here (80's onwards). I did not realise the original layout of Saltley was so extensive.
Slightly off topic, does anybody know where Railway Terrace was in relation to the Wolverhampton Railway area (Bushbury). I know it was near the Slaughterhouse, but not the exact spot. (1920's era). Was it just a nickname for Railway workers accommodation ?

Thanks again,

Graleth

Hi Graleth
I was a fireman and eventually a Driver at Saltley (1963 to 2006) but unfortunately can't recall you relations.If your after photos of Saltley log onto Facebook and search for "Saltley Seagulls" there are literally hundreds of photos of Saltley on there.Also check out Railchat.co.uk Train drivers section.
Hope this helps.

Norman Beckett

Hello

My name is Isabel and I am trying to put my dad in touch with some of his former railwaymen colleagues. He is Norman Beckett now 83. Originally he was a fireman,he fired trains to Carlisle i believe. He then went into the offices at Saltley as a roster clerk . he retired in 1985 after about 35 years on the railway.

Dad looks after his wife (married 62 years) but she has dementure and he cant get out much. He is not good with computers but I could help him to send messages etc.

My phone number is [phone number removed]

Dad worked with Dave Lacey and Wally Row. They are just the names I remember and in the office was Miss Salt and Miss Pepper.

For years he helped with the Welfare Fund at Saltley and he always had a big fish tank in his office.

If anyone can help me put Dad in touch with some Saltleymen please can you contact me. Dont tell him I said so but he really could do with some mates to cheer him up now that Mom is now so affected by her dementure.

Kind regards Isabel Aston.

Saltleyman

Hi Isabel.
I was a fireman/driver at Saltley from 1963 to 2006 and remember your dad (Norman) very well, as regarding contacting ex Saltley men there are two websites worth visiting WWW.Railchat.co.uk, you'll have to register then on the "board index" select "Train Drivers" and on the thread Saltley Drivers you will find a lot of ex Saltley men who contribute regularly to the Thread, Also on Facebook type in Saltley Seagulls in the search bar and you will find a lot of ex Saltley men on there. Hope this helps.

Threeshed

impy ,ray powers,norman uzzell,tommy murdison,jonny ride,pete martin,stan massey,eddie irving,bunny bunclarke,bernard rainbow,ray deltic arrowsmith,pat morrisey,etc,i could carry on.the 3 "as" your train is on the main line,.sup up,.ciderhouse at gloucester hic stacker roy steadman.joe onions,and many more,they kept the railway going,and im proud to be a 21a,2e seagull.freight /pass guard ,saltley mpd..

I was at Saltley from the late 50s begining as a fireman, through passed fireman,driver and outside forman and remember with great pride the men you mention, I regret to advise all that ray Arrowsmith sadly passed away not long ago
Hello

My name is Isabel and I am trying to put my dad in touch with some of his former railwaymen colleagues. He is Norman Beckett now 83. Originally he was a fireman,he fired trains to Carlisle i believe. He then went into the offices at Saltley as a roster clerk . he retired in 1985 after about 35 years on the railway.

Dad looks after his wife (married 62 years) but she has dementure and he cant get out much. He is not good with computers but I could help him to send messages etc.

My phone number is [phone number removed]

Dad worked with Dave Lacey and Wally Row. They are just the names I remember and in the office was Miss Salt and Miss Pepper.

For years he helped with the Welfare Fund at Saltley and he always had a big fish tank in his office.

If anyone can help me put Dad in touch with some Saltleymen please can you contact me. Dont tell him I said so but he really could do with some mates to cheer him up now that Mom is now so affected by her dementure.

Kind regards Isabel Aston.

Hi Isabel, I too worked with your Father and remember the great days at saltley, please feel free to pass on my email to him and tell him I look forward to hearing from him. Brian Heath [email protected]

Last edited:

Threeshed

I have several memories of Saltley,having been there from 1963 to 2006.From Kettles to Sheds.Once the place of 300 plus drivers,now a place of Portakabins and a few dozen drivers.Times change,memories remain.No doubt in thirty years time,the drivers of today will have their own colourful memories.

You are so right, in 1957 when I first became a Saltley loco man, there were a combined total of a thousand train crew, Drivers, Fireman, Guards and pay day was a matter for the history books, when the pay was put in a small round tin with a half cut out lid, the notes [and not many] were rolled and pushed into the cut out portion of the tins, and in the pay allyway the trade union reps would collect the dues, along with collections for retireing staff.

Saltleyman

You are so right, in 1957 when I first became a Saltley loco man, there were a combined total of a thousand train crew, Drivers, Fireman, Guards and pay day was a matter for the history books, when the pay was put in a small round tin with a half cut out lid, the notes [and not many] were rolled and pushed into the cut out portion of the tins, and in the pay allyway the trade union reps would collect the dues, along with collections for retireing staff.

Hi Brian
I tried to PM you but your account wouldn't let me, I think one of your "boxes" in your profile requires "tweaking" ?
However there is a site you should visit www.railchat.co.uk in the Train drivers section you will find a thread entitled "The Saltley Thread" and you will find a lot of ex Saltley men contributing on there.
Brian aka Saltleyman.

Status
Not open for further replies.