• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Same route, different fares from different TOCs !

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonrakerz

Several weeks ago I posted a query about a planned rail journey which seemed to show that the websites of different TOCs were not delivering the same info.
I have just come across another, more extreme example - what is going on ?

I wish to travel from WMN to MHS.
Planned route : WMN to WAT. Tube. KGX to MHS.

I try the FGW site first - my usual one: £6.60 to WAT, £8.25 to MHS. Both Advance singles. Good fares !
Then I try the EC site: £18.50 to WAT, £7.35 to MHS. The £7.35 appears to be an EC Web only offer, still an Advance single - no probs, saved 90p !
The £18.50 is a Super Off Peak Saver - no sign of any Advance tickets !
(All tickets are on a railcard)

Just tried the SWT site, as it's an SWT service - that is showing the same as FGW............

Is it now necessary to get fares from ALL the TOCs to see who is the cheapest ?? I'm getting confused :roll::roll:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It seems to be the difference between the booking engines. SET says the same as East Coast for the WNM-WAT journey. This probably needs bringing to the attention of one of the sites. The 90p off the East Coast price on their train is the standard 10% discount for buying their tickets on their site. You definitely won't get that anywhere else.

OwlMan

Established Member
It could be due to problems uploading NFM09. The advanced tickets have changed from "Route Salisbury" to "Route SWT Only"and "Route SWT & Conn"

Peter

moonrakerz

It could be due to problems uploading NFM09. The advanced tickets have changed from "Route Salisbury" to "Route SWT Only"and "Route SWT & Conn"
Peter

I think you could be on to something there - have just tried a number of other dates - NO advance fares coming up at all !

cav1975

Several weeks ago I posted a query about a planned rail journey which seemed to show that the websites of different TOCs were not delivering the same info.
I have just come across another, more extreme example - what is going on ?

I wish to travel from WMN to MHS.
Planned route : WMN to WAT. Tube. KGX to MHS.

I try the FGW site first - my usual one: £6.60 to WAT, £8.25 to MHS. Both Advance singles. Good fares !
Then I try the EC site: £18.50 to WAT, £7.35 to MHS. The £7.35 appears to be an EC Web only offer, still an Advance single - no probs, saved 90p !
The £18.50 is a Super Off Peak Saver - no sign of any Advance tickets !
(All tickets are on a railcard)

Just tried the SWT site, as it's an SWT service - that is showing the same as FGW............

Is it now necessary to get fares from ALL the TOCs to see who is the cheapest ?? I'm getting confused :roll::roll:

Could someone explain where these places are, please?

gnolife

Established Member
its Warminster to Sheffield Meadowhall, hes going from Warminster to London Waterloo, taking to tube from Waterloo to King's Cross St Pancras, then the train from London Kings Cross to Meadowhall, presumably by change at Doncaster

me123

Established Member
A quick Google search or two would reveal Warminster-Meadowhall.

moonrakerz

Sorry - if you put the 3 letter code into the TOC's ticket/fare finder it will give the full name of the stations involved..........

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Or you could put the full station names in the first place and save everyone else the bother of doing it?!

moonrakerz

Or you could put the full station names in the first place and save everyone else the bother of doing it?!

Funny you should mention that - many, many moons ago I was taken to task on this very site for NOT using the three letter codes !!

Heads you win, tails I lose ?

island

Veteran Member
The sticky at the top suggests that one should use the full station name first time and abbreviate subsequently.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Perhaps the first time you use the station name with the abbreviation in brackets then continue with the abbreviation

e.g. "Warminster (WMN)" first, then later just "WMN", that is what magazines do, for a variety of things.

moonrakerz

Ah, I see !

Just like addressing Royalty; it's "Your Majesty" the first time, then "Ma'am" after that :lol::lol:

moonrakerz

Where is NOT? ;)

o0yn3d.jpg

or it could be..........

5k20k3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.