• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Saphos 118A (real headcode 1Z60) 0640 Kidderminster to Bristol Temple Meads 06/10/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteb

Interestingly timed departure for this train: a late departure from Kidderminster has already caused delays to commuter trains into Birmingham. Now headed into Dorridge up loop, however given the +12 at Stourbridge Junction and +14 at Rowley Regis, one might wonder why it wasn't looped at one of those? Perhaps Saphos drivers don't sign the loops?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
What is the 118A? A bus route?
I suspect it's the obfuscated headcode from Open Train Times. It's presumably being operated by LSL, as Saphos is just one of the parent company's marketing brands.
Now headed into Dorridge up loop, however given the +12 at Stourbridge Junction and +14 at Rowley Regis, one might wonder why it wasn't looped at one of those? Perhaps Saphos drivers don't sign the loops?
Stourbridge Junction and Rowley Regis are Goods Loops, so to put a Class 1 passenger train inside would require Special Authority which is very rare to get without prior notice. A passenger train on a goods loop also needs to be signalled in a particular way that would increase Signaller workload and cause even more disruption to the main line (at these locations). Dorridge Up Loop is passenger rated, so it can be signalled like every other move and can be used at any time.

zwk500

Veteran Member
The working was planned to be looped at Dorridge Up Passenger Loop for other train(s) to overtake.
Indeed. Which makes it even more sensible to not loop the train earlier, as the driver is already expecting to stop there.

It seems to have come to halt between Wantage Road and Challow?
Being regulated in Challow Loops to mitigate delay to other services, presumably.

Last edited:

peteb

What is the 118A? A bus route?
Sorry, I just uploaded the RTT reference.

It was great to see the train but Royal Scot was taking it very slowly at Blakedown, 35 max I'd estimate, no diesel power, but then a huge exhaust from diesel rounding the curve towards Hagley meant assistance had been requested. Quite a difference from the last trip that way with Royal Scot a few weeks back. I hope the loco is ok.

And by the way, the level crossing gates had been down a couple of minutes so doubt Royal Scot had been checked.

Established Member
Indeed. Which makes it even more sensible to not loop the train earlier, as the driver is already expecting to stop there.

Being regulated in Challow Loops to mitigate delay to other services, presumably.
Cows on the line.

It was great to see the train but Royal Scot was taking it very slowly at Blakedown, 35 max I'd estimate, no diesel power, but then a huge exhaust from diesel rounding the curve towards Hagley meant assistance had been requested. Quite a difference from the last trip that way with Royal Scot a few weeks back. I hope the loco is ok.
Adhesion problems.

peteb

Cows on the line.

Adhesion problems.
Well they cannot be blamed for the cows. Was adhesion issues leaving Kidderminster (heavy train, damp rails, standing start, curve) or on incline towards Hagley? How did it tackle Old Hill?

cm39275

I can confirm this service did get delayed in the Oxford area due to the train making an unsheduled stop in Platform 3 at Oxford due to a onboard medical incedent which required an amberlance to attends. this incident also co-insided with the report of for approximatley 38 cows on the line at Kennington junction just south of Oxford which ment that the main line towards Didcot and the south was blocked for almost an hour.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I can confirm this service did get delayed in the Oxford area due to the train making an unsheduled stop in Platform 3 at Oxford due to a onboard medical incedent which required an amberlance to attends. this incident also co-insided with the report of for approximatley 38 cows on the line at Kennington junction just south of Oxford which ment that the main line towards Didcot and the south was blocked for almost an hour.

That’s a very specific amount of cows. :)

peteb

Any reports on the remainder of the outbound and now hopefully return journey?

cm39275

12 with at least one being turned into Mince by a Voyager.
Was originally reported as 12 and one being hit but turned out the the northbound xcountry voyager that was involved that no cows where actually hit by the train. As I was stood on duty next to the platform staff who where on the phone at the time to the duty signaller getting updates with the ongoing distribution.

Last edited:

peteb

It has dropped 10 between Fenny Compton and Leamington.....but hurtled through Blakedown at 75mph so those left on board had a good end to the trip hopefully.

ECS from this tour seen passing Blakedown en route from Kidderminster to Crewe this afternoon Thursday 7th October. Royal Scot leading consist, no diesel assistance. Is it usual to run a steam hauled ECS? It was going well. No light engine move to Worcester so assume they turned the loco on the turntable at SVR Kidderminster perhaps?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.