• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Saphos train formations 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteb

I was intrigued by the formation Saphos used on 3/6/21's Welsh Marshes Whistler. From videos on youtube the consist appears to have been BSK (support), FO, BSO, FO (mk2 aircon), then FO, FO, FO, RB, FO, CK, all mk1, generator. So are Saphos down-grading a FO aircon for use as standard? And are Saphos upgrading the CK to effectively run as a FK? I'm wary of booking Saphos due to comments about standard non diners being confined to mk2 aircon "coffins", and equally unsure whether ANY 1st class non dining is in MK1's. Seems bizarre to have soot and smuts landing on a diners plate from an open toplight whilst enthusiasts of lesser means sit cooped up with only aircon to potentially recirculate "droplets".......nice double header mind you!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
So are Saphos down-grading a FO aircon for use as standard?
No, I didn't think there were any standard class coaches on their trains at present - the booking site shows 'sold out' but in practice the seats seem never to have been available.

Booking for one person isn't possible either.

Iskra

Established Member
No, there are no standard class coaches on their trains at present - the booking site shows 'sold out' but in practice the seats were never available.

Booking for one person isn't possible either.
This does seem a bit of a dubious way to run a business.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
This does seem a bit of a dubious way to run a business.
Not really - if they can run at a viable level without second class and with a minimum booking for two people, then they are quite at liberty to do so.

Iskra

Established Member
Not really - if they can run at a viable level without second class and with a minimum booking for two people, then they are quite at liberty to do so.
But why advertise something that doesn’t exist, and dishonestly claim it exists but is sold out? ...oh, that means they can advertise an entry price that’s a lot cheaper than what’s really available in order to attract interest.

Then there’s the issue of not allowing single people.

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
From videos on youtube the consist appears to have been BSK (support), FO, BSO, FO (mk2 aircon), then FO, FO, FO, RB, FO, CK, all mk1, generator.
Formation actually appears to have been (from a gen list)
1203 17159 3330 3148 3100 3122 80044 3045 3125 6311

RFB-BFK-FO (mk2 aircon) - FO-FO-FO-RK-FO-FO (mk 1) - generator

so no standard coach at all.

peteb

Ok, on re-watching the video the last coach is an FO, agreed, I can see daylight! Shocked therefore to learn the first class compartments are in a mk2 aircon BFK, as general advertising shows a mk1 compartment for £999. I guess as with all tours the small print will have a get out clause so what you THINK you book and what you ACTUALLY get to sit in might differ on the day. Mind you I'd be pretty upset to be in a BFK "coffin" with 5 friends rather than a mk1 compartment coach with opening vents! I thought Saohos were refurbing an entire Mk1 set? Would make sense for enthusiasts and doubtless entice me to travel with them.

Master Cutler

I've booked for my wife and myself on The William Shakespeare, Bangor to Stratford on Avon for September 1st.
Only premier Class is available but with guaranteed window table for two.
From what I understand there will be no tables for four people, presumably due to ongoing COVID precautions.

py_megapixel

Established Member
But why advertise something that doesn’t exist, and dishonestly claim it exists but is sold out? ...oh, that means they can advertise an entry price that’s a lot cheaper than what’s really available in order to attract interest.
Lots of places that have "availability calendars" are doing this. A lot of hotels for example, and I suspect it's because it's easier to simply mark everything as fully booked indefinitely into the future than it is to add a message to the booking calendar that they are closed/unavailable due to Covid. Don't forget a lot of the time the booking software is outsourced so they may not have full control over it.

Then there’s the issue of not allowing single people.
Is this a breach of the Equality Act? I think it could be perceived as such, as marital status is a "protected characteristic". But then, there's nothing to stop you booking with a friend (though to actually sit with them and not socially distance is illegal until the 21st June) nor to stop you booking two seats for yourself.

Whatever the legal status, it's certainly an unpleasant policy.

mpthomson

Lots of places that have "availability calendars" are doing this. A lot of hotels for example, and I suspect it's because it's easier to simply mark everything as fully booked indefinitely into the future than it is to add a message to the booking calendar that they are closed/unavailable due to Covid. Don't forget a lot of the time the booking software is outsourced so they may not have full control over it.

Is this a breach of the Equality Act? I think it could be perceived as such, as marital status is a "protected characteristic". But then, there's nothing to stop you booking with a friend (though to actually sit with them and not socially distance is illegal until the 21st June) nor to stop you booking two seats for yourself.

Whatever the legal status, it's certainly an unpleasant policy.

No, it's not remotely a breach of the Equality act. Being single isn't any form of protected characteristic, and the areas of discrimination that may apply to married people or those in civil partnerships have absolutely nothing to do with you not being able to buy a ticket on a railtour. The 2m social distance thing is guidance, not law so it isn't 'illegal' to sit closer than that and you'd be opposite each other anyway, as aisle seats on these tours aren't in use.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Lots of places that have "availability calendars" are doing this. A lot of hotels for example, and I suspect it's because it's easier to simply mark everything as fully booked indefinitely into the future than it is to add a message to the booking calendar that they are closed/unavailable due to Covid. Don't forget a lot of the time the booking software is outsourced so they may not have full control over it
The other thing that might be feeding into using 'sold out' is that people will often check back on sold out events for returns or similar. Whereas if an event is just marked as cancelled/not available people will assume that's the done deal. Of course, you can set up mailing lists and the like for either case, but I can see why they've done it that way round.

Status
Not open for further replies.