• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sat Navs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

Established Member
You will not be penalised in independant driving for going in completely the wrong direction. The point of doing it is to introduce the driver to road layouts and conditions they may not have encountered before to see if they can drive safely in unfamiliar areas with little
to no guidance.
The point here is that the driver will have to deal with these road layouts and conditions without any help from a sat-nav. I know of people that just accept the sat-nav saying stay in left lane without thinking about the detailed layout of the junction ahead. A sat-nav can also give you much more warning of a junciton ahead than signs will.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
So if you tried going on a motorway, would they intervene by taking hold of the wheel to prevent you breaking the law? I read a story once about someone that tried to join a motorway on a test and was stopped on a slip road and the examiner just to them they had failed and left them there.

I doubt this happens very often! Do you have any more up-to-date stories than something from 1999? If not, I'll stick to my opinion that this was a one-off, hence worthy of a story.

There are are people these days that have passed a driving test but just do everything the sat-nav says. By introducing indepdent driving to the test it shows you can drive indepently without having to rely on a sat-nav to tell you there is a junction ahead.

I am sure that statistically you're right (it's impossible not to be when you say something so general like that) but not everyone uses their SatNav all the time. I certainly don't when driving locally, although sometimes I might (rush hour) for the benefit from live traffic info.

Nor does everyone using a SatNav not know how to read a road sign. I can see some people see a SatNav as the spawn of the devil, but using a map, SatNav or simply using your eyes can (and should) all work together.

I do wonder how many people ever get to learn how road signs work (or should work, as I think things have changed slightly in more recent years), such as the names of towns/cities put on them, their ranking (nearest/furthest), places that can be reached with a change of road etc.

Then you have the trunk road network where you have some places signposted using roads you might not take by looking at a map (or using SatNav) because they're trying to get you onto certain roads and not smaller ones.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.