• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

(Satire) "Stakes rising for woman with table seat on train"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuccir

Established Member
The attached Daily Mash 'news story' raised a smile with me anyway!

Link here

Stakes rising for woman with table seat on train

A WOMAN with an entire table to herself on a train is getting steadily more anxious as passengers file past her.

Carolyn Ryan admitted that with every passenger who passes her by her hopes rise further even though she knows she should not allow herself to believe.

She said: “What began as a fantasy is so close to being a reality that it’s impossible to think about anything else.

“But the closer I get to the unprecedented luxury of stretching out in four seats with a table to myself, the more crushing it‘ll be if it’s taken from me.

“There’s a minute until departure. My heart’s racing, I’m sweating and I can’t even bear to look up. I feel their shadows pass over me as time after time I’m miraculously spared. Could it really happen?”

Passenger Wayne Hayes said: “I’m planning to wait until the train actually sets off, then stride up and ask if the seat opposite’s taken, even though it obviously isn’t.

“Then I’ll get my massive laptop out and watch a film on full volume while enjoying my tuna fish sandwich. Mmmm.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sleepy

Established Member
Funny you put this on - last night I watched a woman on a train in platform next to mine sprawled over table with 4 seats on her own. About 1 minute before departure time 3 strangers rocked up and she had to move her stuff. Her face was a picture. :D:D:D

andrewkeith5

It's a feeling I can relate to! Although nowadays I find myself preferring airline seats, because it seems nowadays that when sitting at a table, when someone does inevitably join you they'll sit opposite you, rather than across, and spend the journey stamping on your feet!

Nobody can deny that journeys are an awful lot more comfortable when you aren't being either:
  • Constantly kicked in the shins by the person sitting opposite
  • Being rammed into the side of the carriage (and thus unable to use one arm) by the person who insists on sitting as close as they can in the aisle seat
  • Being constantly hit without apology by people walking up and down the train because the seat sizes are based on the average width of a human without arms (particularly in a 3+2 carriage)!

3rd rail land

It's so true. It is one reason I prefer First Class single seats - there is no stress - I have my own personal space which cannot be violated.
I agree. That's why whenever I deem 1st class travel worth the expenditure I reserve a single seat facing the direction of travel.

I also opt for a table where possible then I have somewhere to place my tablet/laptop/newspaper/whatever item I am using to occupy myself.

Adlington

Nobody can deny that journeys are an awful lot more comfortable when you aren't being either:
  • Constantly kicked in the shins by the person sitting opposite
  • Being rammed into the side of the carriage (and thus unable to use one arm) by the person who insists on sitting as close as they can in the aisle seat
  • Being constantly hit without apology by people walking up and down the train because the seat sizes are based on the average width of a human without arms (particularly in a 3+2 carriage)!
Solution: drive. With a chauffeur, preferably.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's a feeling I can relate to! Although nowadays I find myself preferring airline seats, because it seems nowadays that when sitting at a table, when someone does inevitably join you they'll sit opposite you, rather than across, and spend the journey stamping on your feet!

To me "table etiquette" is that if you are joining one person at a table seat you should sit diagonally opposite them. I'd put this in there with 3+2 seating, where if joining someone in a 3 you should not take the middle, and with 3 people in a 6 it should be two facing forwards (window/aisle) and one backwards (middle).

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Legs clashing under tables seems to come up a lot on here... but I have a theory that some people are incapable of tucking their legs in. You can't stretch out as if you're on your sofa at home, but what made you think you could?

Trains are shared spaces, and clashes aren't always the other person's fault!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
To me "table etiquette" is that if you are joining one person at a table seat you should sit diagonally opposite them. I'd put this in there with 3+2 seating, where if joining someone in a 3 you should not take the middle, and with 3 people in a 6 it should be two facing forwards (window/aisle) and one backwards (middle).
Then why bother with half the seats? If you're tall, makes sure your a**e is where it should be (at the back of the base) and your legs will be fine* even if you're Peter Crouch. As an added bonus your posture will improve! ;)

*= exceptions for certain classes/seats (Merseytravel 142s and all 153s, I'm looking at you!)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Then why bother with half the seats?

As more people join the table, then it is necessary to move over. But there is an order in which it is sensible to fill the seats to avoid discomfort to others.

One thing that is becoming more common and is really not on is people who can't be bothered putting small bags on the overhead and instead put them at their feet in table seats, thus taking the legroom that way too. Bags go on the overheads and nowhere else (other than under the seat in front of you in an airline seat so only taking your own space). If you can't put them up, ask someone else to help.

If you're tall, makes sure your a**e is where it should be (at the back of the base) and your legs will be fine* even if you're Peter Crouch. As an added bonus your posture will improve! ;)

*= exceptions for certain classes/seats (Merseytravel 142s and all 153s, I'm looking at you!)

I do actually sit fully upright (except on Classes 170 and 800, where the poor seat headrest design forces me to slouch) and there is no current UK stock in which in Standard my knees are not "foul" of the table centreline except the "extra legroom" table at the end of a Class 350/1, /3 or /4. (For those only familiar with Class 360s, that's the First Class area on those, and it has the same spacing in Standard with thinner seats in 350s and thus the best legroom of any Standard seating on any UK train except things like wheelchair areas or side-facing seating).

bramling

Veteran Member

I very much agree with this. I find it extremely rude to sit directly opposite someone, unless the train is or is going to be sufficiently busy that it’s unavoidable. I won’t do this to someone else (even if that means taking the aisle seat when I’d really prefer the window seat), so I will be less than accommodating if someone does it to me.

There’s ways of avoiding it though - a strategically placed half-eaten apple core or two normally works rather well!

DaveB10780

I very much agree with this. I find it extremely rude to sit directly opposite someone, unless the train is or is going to be sufficiently busy that it’s unavoidable. I won’t do this to someone else (even if that means taking the aisle seat when I’d really prefer the window seat), so I will be less than accommodating if someone does it to me.

There’s ways of avoiding it though - a strategically placed half-eaten apple core or two normally works rather well!
Sorry power supply and window view overrides, they could always move. It really is not that hard to keep your feet half way.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sorry power supply and window view overrides, they could always move. It really is not that hard to keep your feet half way.

You can still use the power while sitting in the aisle seat if nobody is sitting in the window seat on that side.

It is not just hard but physically impossible for me to have my knees in my half. But if you would really like the window, the polite thing to do would be to ask if I minded rather than jamming yourself in and kneecapping me. I might then willingly move to the aisle.

Similarly, if a couple wanted to sit at a table at which there was already a tall person (and if a tall person wanted to sit at a table at which there already was a couple), putting the shorter person opposite the tall person (or the tall person opposite the shorter person) is only polite. Mutual consideration, respect and politeness is the best way to occupy limited space - same on planes.

DaveB10780

You can still use the power while sitting in the aisle seat if nobody is sitting in the window seat on that side.

It is not just hard but physically impossible for me to have my knees in my half. But if you would really like the window, the polite thing to do would be to ask if I minded rather than jamming yourself in and kneecapping me. I might then willingly move to the aisle.

Similarly, if a couple wanted to sit at a table at which there was already a tall person (and if a tall person wanted to sit at a table at which there already was a couple), putting the shorter person opposite the tall person (or the tall person opposite the shorter person) is only polite. Mutual consideration, respect and politeness is the best way to occupy limited space - same on planes.
Yes then someone else comes along and expects to sit in the window seat or is deterred from sitting at table. I see this all the time with folks trying to grab half the train even when it is very busy.

bramling

Veteran Member
It really is not that hard to keep your feet half way.

Unfortunately this simply doesn’t apply for some people. Far too many journeys spent with someone who can’t keep their legs or feet still. Hence why I tend to sympathise with people who try to dissuade people from sitting near them - it’s entirely rational given the way some potential fellow punters behave, and in non-busy trains it’s not selfish IMO. Obviously completely the opposite applies on a busy train.

Many people also find it outwardly strange for someone to seemingly deliberately sit unnecessarily close to a stranger. Perhaps this is one of those traditional British things?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes then someone else comes along and expects to sit in the window seat or is deterred from sitting at table. I see this all the time with folks trying to grab half the train even when it is very busy.

If you are in the aisle, you always have the option of moving to the window if a third person comes to the table. This is in my view true of any seat pair - the person who is already seated has "first dibs" on which to choose, i.e. whether to move over or let the person in.

As for people who can't say "excuse me, can I sit there please?", that's their loss. (Noting that that is a very British question to which "no" is not an acceptable answer unless the occupant is in the toilet or similar).

RichT54

The last time I sat at a table seat was on an HST from Reading to Oxford. The carriage when almost empty, so I thought I would have the table to myself, but just before the train departed three people suddenly crammed themselves around the table, even though there were still several unoccupied tables in the carriage. They then engaged in a very loud and animated discussion, one of the men in particular could speak continuously and very loudly for many minutes without appearing to take a breath. What had seemed to be a relaxed and comfortable trip had become almost unbearable. Then after about 15 minutes they all suddenly got up and moved to a different table. What a relief!

andrewkeith5

As for people who can't say "excuse me, can I sit there please?", that's their loss. (Noting that that is a very British question to which "no" is not an acceptable answer unless the occupant is in the toilet or similar).

This! Why are people incapable of just asking to use a seat? I always sit in the aisle - mostly because I do not want someone coming along and jamming me into the side of the carriage for the entire journey. I'm absolutely fine to let anyone sit in the window seat if they so wish, and I'll even do my best to give you enough space to move unlike some people, but the least you can do is ask - if you just stand there staring, I'm just going to go ahead and assume you're part of the group who stand up irrespective of seat availability.

HowardGWR

Established Member
I assume that the OP's 'Carolyn Ryan' in the story is not an attractive young woman, otherwise it would be impossible that she would not acquire company. At table seats, my wife and I always sit opposite one another and I always face backwards, as she prefers forwards-facing and that avoids the knee-banging toe-treading problem. Otherwise we go for airline, for the reasons explained by Bletchleyite.

Master29

Established Member

I admit to that but only when the train isn`t busy or someone may need it.

Unfortunately this simply doesn’t apply for some people. Far too many journeys spent with someone who can’t keep their legs or feet still. Hence why I tend to sympathise with people who try to dissuade people from sitting near them - it’s entirely rational given the way some potential fellow punters behave, and in non-busy trains it’s not selfish IMO. Obviously completely the opposite applies on a busy train.

Many people also find it outwardly strange for someone to seemingly deliberately sit unnecessarily close to a stranger. Perhaps this is one of those traditional British things?

I find that uncomfortable and unnecessary but unavoidable when trains are busy. I`m not sure it`s just a British thing as I`ve noticed it on the continent.

The last time I sat at a table seat was on an HST from Reading to Oxford. The carriage when almost empty, so I thought I would have the table to myself, but just before the train departed three people suddenly crammed themselves around the table, even though there were still several unoccupied tables in the carriage. They then engaged in a very loud and animated discussion, one of the men in particular could speak continuously and very loudly for many minutes without appearing to take a breath. What had seemed to be a relaxed and comfortable trip had become almost unbearable. Then after about 15 minutes they all suddenly got up and moved to a different table. What a relief!

Yeah, that would annoy me too. I can`t understand why people do that. Some people are just crass in my opinion.

Ethano92

There are times when sitting next to people simply aren't necessary however. Me and my sister were travelling down to Broadstairs from St Pancras. We were opposite each other on a table seat of 4. At Stratford International, a couple came and sat next to us. They had a lot of shopping and placed it all across the table even blocking the window despite them both being in the aisle seats. The guy next to me even put up the armrest despite him coming second which I don't think he should do without asking. They couldn't use the overhead racks as they were being used by my sister and I. Slighty odd because there was an airline style pair of seats vacant right by us with plenty of overhead space. They weren't tall, and didn't need the table for anything, so I do wonder why they did that. I don't mind this example but unless you ask politely I think you should only fill your half of the table.

I guess it's a case of do you choose to take up a bay of 4/6 seats alone when the train is empty but may fill up or cram yourself into airline seats when the train stays empty? I don't think theres a problem with people stretching out on any transport, as long as they move, preferably without being asked, if it fills up.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Regarding armrests, the correct position is down to divide personal space. They should only be up if both passengers want them up or for someone to exit. If someone doesn't fit between them, they should sit on the aisle and expand out that way, not into the other seat.

Yes, regarding table space the default is that you get the quarter of it adjacent to your seat, and only by asking politely (with refusal accepted gracefully) is it acceptable to occupy the part of the table by another seat.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Solution: drive. With a chauffeur, preferably.

Or alternatively:
  • Book four tickets around one table
  • Book an entire carriage
  • Buy a TOC then reserve an entire train
Seriously though, what do people expect on public transport? Its a shared transport mode, that means people have to share your space with other passengers. It is not their office, nor is it their lounge. It is a means of getting large numbers of people from a to b. If interacting with other people is an issue, then public transport might not be your best option. Otherwise, make the most of it, interact with your fellow passengers, your fellow human beings and make the most of it.

kristiang85

Established Member
I really dislike table or facing seats, there is just no room to stretch (well, there is, if you're an inconsiderate git, but I'm not), so I prefer airline seats where I can do that at will.

Also table seats attract people who want to talk, and more likely to attract people with smelly food.

So yep I avoid avoid avoid.

PeterC

Established Member
Most of the comments are reasonable and appropriate when the train is less than half full.

I have never had problems with other passengers' behaviour in such situations although off the railway once at an event a group came and sat either side of us and then complained that we had intruded into their group.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
It's when you read threads like this that you realise why so many people still prefer to use their cars !

bramling

Veteran Member
As someone else posted - it's a shared space, so respect the boundaries of others.

Unfortunately, many people seem incapable of showing even basic respect to the comfort of others, so it's no wonder some people adopt methods to gently influence people into doing the right thing. *So long as this doesn't continue once the train starts getting busy*, I have absolutely no problem with this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As someone else posted - it's a shared space, so respect the boundaries of others.

I agree. When there is limited personal space, try your hardest to share it reasonably and respect it.

Try the rush hour Northern Line. Unlike Japan, where people are squashed up against one another, you would be surprised just how much effort people put into ensuring each person gets their personal space respected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.