• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Saturday - Class 442 bash

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I want to get all wibbly this weekend and photograph and potentially travel on a 442 as i assume they wont be around fomr long and ideally I would like to do that within the travelcard zones. Therefore:

1) What services do they work and when
2) Where can I travel on them for a reasonable price
3) Where can I get some good photographs.
4) Am I too late - Are they off lease?

thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSEFAN

Established Member
1) They work Gatex services, which is 4TPH Victoria - Gatwick. 2TPH of these continue to Brighton non-stop.

2) Others will disagree, but you would need an any permitted fare to use them since they are Gatex, not Southern branded. Yorkie can come and tell me off if he wants! :P

Alternatively, you could use Oyster as far as Gatwick if you wish.

3) If you're looking for stations, any intermediate stop should give a reasonably good view for any stations where the fast lines pass through. These are normally gated off at the intermediate stations, but in most cases you can still get a decent view from the slow lines.

There are bridges en route which permit decent views, too, for example East Croydon, South Croydon, Salfords, Horley and Hassocks.

4) Some units are still in service, although there is now I believe a good mix of 442s and 387s.

Last edited:

Bishopstone

Established Member
They will be around until next year, at least, on 2x peak diagrams from/to Eastbourne and Brighton. Six units are being retained for this purpose, although that is no help if your only opportunity to visit is at weekends.

I spent some time at Gatwick last Saturday, and would say the 442/387 split was about 40/60. There seemed to be more 442s on the 'airport only' run than the Brighton extensions, which were predominantly 387. With each passing week, the ratio of allocated units is likely to move towards 387s, although with Thameslink still 'borrowing' some GatEx 387s, presumably a complete transition is not yet possible.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Some run as 10-car but I'm not sure if these are the Brighton's or the Gatwick's.

Bear in mind too that because of the ongoing dispute on Southern/GTR, there are many short-notice cancellations, particularly at the weekends

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
2) Others will disagree, but you would need an any permitted fare to use them since they are Gatex, not Southern branded. Yorkie can come and tell me off if he wants! :P
<sigh> NRCoC Condition 10 makes it very clear the restriction is based on train company, not branding. DfT has confirmed that Gatwick Express is not a train company (it hasn't been since 2008!) and the company does publish documents which confirm this fact.
Alternatively, you could use Oyster as far as Gatwick if you wish.
Which will cost £8 if you tap in at any platform other than 13/14. If a train is departing from Platform 13/14 the £8 fare can only be obtained if the side gate to Platform 12 is open.

Status
Not open for further replies.