• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Saturday return (CMN-BRI) outward break of journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I'm planning a photography/video trip from Carmarthen (CMN) to Bristol Temple Meads (BRI) or possibly Cardiff Central on Saturday (27th May 2017). I intend to break my outward journey at Neath, to film the 11:32 to Pembroke Dock going over the river+canal bridge.

The GWR mixing deck, shows the only return fare to be an Off-Peak return, which I don't think allows a break of journey on the outward leg. Is there a valid ticket option that is not outragously expensive and that I can buy at Carmarthen without hassle (prefrably from the ticket machine)? I'm guessing an Anytime return would allow break of journey, but I could be wrong, and there doesn't seem to be one available anyway.

I have one idea, which is to ask the ticket office (if it is open early enough) for a Bristol to Carmarthen fare, and make the 'return' journey before the 'outward' one but I'm not sure that'd be valid and it would be a hassle buying it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

headshot119

Established Member
I'm planning a photography/video trip from Carmarthen (CMN) to Bristol Temple Meads (BRI) or possibly Cardiff Central on Saturday (27th May 2017). I intend to break my outward journey at Neath, to film the 11:32 to Pembroke Dock going over the river+canal bridge.

The GWR mixing deck, shows the only return fare to be an Off-Peak return, which I don't think allows a break of journey on the outward leg. Is there a valid ticket option that is not outragously expensive and that I can buy at Carmarthen without hassle (prefrably from the ticket machine)? I'm guessing an Anytime return would allow break of journey, but I could be wrong, and there doesn't seem to be one available anyway.

I have one idea, which is to ask the ticket office (if it is open early enough) for a Bristol to Carmarthen fare, and make the 'return' journey before the 'outward' one but I'm not sure that'd be valid and it would be a hassle buying it.

A Carmarthen - Bristol Off Peak Return doesn't permit Break of Journey on the outward portion except to change trains.

But remember if you aren't leaving the station then it isn't a break of journey.

Using the return portion before the outward is allowed, but the outward portion would then be invalid.

lightning76

If you're planning on buying online, then buy Carmarthen - Bridgend and Bridgend - Bristol day returns, which will save a couple of quid and allow break of journey.

If you want something you can actually buy from the TVM at Carmarthen, then a Carmarthen - Weston super Mare Off Peak Day Return will fulfil the same function, for £44.70.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
A Carmarthen - Bristol Off Peak Return doesn't permit Break of Journey on the outward portion except to change trains.

But remember if you aren't leaving the station then it isn't a break of journey.

Using the return portion before the outward is allowed, but the outward portion would then be invalid.
I am intending to leave the station at Neath, so the through ticket wouldn't be valid; and thanks for the clarification on using a ticket in the wrong direction, I know not to try that one tomorrow now.

If you're planning on buying online, then buy Carmarthen - Bridgend and Bridgend - Bristol day returns, which will save a couple of quid and allow break of journey.

If you want something you can actually buy from the TVM at Carmarthen, then a Carmarthen - Weston super Mare Off Peak Day Return will fulfil the same function, for £44.70.
So, you can get a day return to Weston-Super-Mare, but not Bristol which is closer. That's daft, but it sounds like it would solve my problem (break of journey also means travelling short is permitted I believe), so thanks for that. Thanks also for the idea of splitting at Bridgend, although if I'm not mistaken splitting at Cardiff is cheaper and both fares (Carmarthen-Bridgend and Carmarthen-Cardiff that is) seem to be Anytime Day Return (so I assume they both allow my outward break of journey at Neath). I'll see if I can get the Carmarthen-Cardiff Anytime Day return from the ticket machine and pick up the Cardiff-Bristol later in the trip unless I decide I'm not going to go beyond Cardiff anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.