• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Saturday travel - Sale to Grindleford day return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Intercity 225

Hi,

On Saturday 13th July I'll be travelling from Sale to Grindleford and back again, most of my journey will be completed by rail but will also involve connections using any combination of tram, taxi and my own two feet.

Obviously I'd like to travel for as low a cost as possible but if significant time savings and/or journey comfort can be made/achieved I'm open to spending more. From the research I've done it looks like I have two options:

1. Tram from Sale to Manchester Piccadilly, Northern stopping service to Grindleford

2. Taxi/walk to Stockport, EMT or TPE service to Sheffield, Northern stopping service to Grindleford

I can set off at any time between 10:00-11:00 on Saturday morning but I don't know what time I'll be returning, could be after just a few hours or it could be the very last service.

Are there any other options I've missed?

And I'd also be very grateful if anyone is able to provide some guidance regarding the best tickets to purchase.

All advice appreciated!

Many Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hi,

On Saturday 13th July I'll be travelling from Sale to Grindleford and back again, most of my journey will be completed by rail but will also involve connections using any combination of tram, taxi and my own two feet.

Obviously I'd like to travel for as low a cost as possible but if significant time savings and/or journey comfort can be made/achieved I'm open to spending more. From the research I've done it looks like I have two options:

1. Tram from Sale to Manchester Piccadilly, Northern stopping service to Grindleford

2. Taxi/walk to Stockport, EMT or TPE service to Sheffield, Northern stopping service to Grindleford

I can set off at any time between 10:00-11:00 on Saturday morning but I don't know what time I'll be returning, could be after just a few hours or it could be the very last service.

Are there any other options I've missed?

And I'd also be very grateful if anyone is able to provide some guidance regarding the best tickets to purchase.

All advice appreciated!

Many Thanks
This seems a prime candidate for the Greater Manchester Wayfarer. £14.00 for the day, no time restrictions as it's a Saturday, and valid for unlimited travel on all buses, trains and trams in the county of Greater Manchester plus an additional area, extending (in the direction of Sheffield) as far as Grindleford.

You obviously can't travel via Sheffield unless you bought a Grindleford to Sheffield return on top (the non-stop split is permissible as the Wayfarer is an area based product), but if you start at Stockport then it looks like there are hourly non-overtaken itineraries via either Piccadilly and Marple, or via Sheffield. So you could take the tram directly to Piccadilly and then the hourly train to Grindleford.

scrapy

Established Member
This seems a prime candidate for the Greater Manchester Wayfarer. £14.00 for the day, no time restrictions as it's a Saturday, and valid for unlimited travel on all buses, trains and trams in the county of Greater Manchester plus an additional area, extending (in the direction of Sheffield) as far as Grindleford.

You obviously can't travel via Sheffield unless you bought a Grindleford to Sheffield return on top (the non-stop split is permissible as the Wayfarer is an area based product), but if you start at Stockport then it looks like there are hourly non-overtaken itineraries via either Piccadilly and Marple, or via Sheffield. So you could take the tram directly to Piccadilly and then the hourly train to Grindleford.
There's also the option to go from Stockport to New Mills Newtown then New Mills Central to Grindleford, or the 330 bus from Stockport to Bredbury station (every 10 min taking 15 min), where the local Sheffield trains stop.

DanTrain

Also worth remembering that the last train back from Grindleford goes via Stockport so if you do take it it may save you some time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.