• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Saver Half Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can anyone explain why Virgin Trains has a Saver Half Return product that is, in fact a single ticket?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick W

Established Member
Allows for saver ticketing combinations involving advance single tickets and prepares the railway for prepay (eg oyster).

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, but why such a stupid name?

Nick W

Established Member
It's priced has half the SVR, the same way TFL singles were half the return price.

Initially I think it will only be on sale with an AP single in the other direction.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Why not call it a Saver Single though?

Shouldn't be an issue though when DfT force through ticket names.

rail-britain

Established Member
I purchased a Saver Half Return in May
There is no requirement to purchase any other tickets, so can be used as either the out or return portion
It also allows you travel on "any" train on "any permitted" route, but only on the specific date

The advantages are it allows a discounted single to be sold, but restricts travel to one day only

Nick W

Established Member
Why not call it a Saver Single though?

Shouldn't be an issue though when DfT force through ticket names.

We already have saver singles here, but they're not 50% of the return which a saver half emphasizes.

My guess is that it will one day be called an off peak ticket, as when it goes smart card they'll be no difference in price between 2 single journeys and 1 return.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Why couldn't it be called something like a "Virgin Trains Any Train Company Saver Single" or words to that effect?

Or "Special rate Saver single"

T

Tom

Because it's designed in order to provide the other portion of advance purchase singles - rather than just being a single itself.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Because it's designed in order to provide the other portion of advance purchase singles - rather than just being a single itself.

Yes, I understand that, but would prefer it to be named something else, simply because, when my friends have found out about it, they've just not understood it at all at first. (Simply because of the term Saver Half Return)

T

Tom

But it's describing exactly what it is - half of a Saver return. The official ruling is that it's only valid with AP on the other "portion" mind....

voyagerdude220

Established Member
But it's describing exactly what it is - half of a Saver return. The official ruling is that it's only valid with AP on the other "portion" mind....

Yeah, i'd fully agree with you if it was actually strictly controlled to when it's valid-i.e. with another AP ticket.

tubenutter

Do Virgin accept Saver Half Returns at peak with a Railcard? And if so, do they care if you've actually bought the opposite AP ticket?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
it is only ISSUED with an AP on the other portion.

You cannot say it is only valid with the other portion! As 1) the only ticket type to claim that is the SOR (outward only valid with intact rtn portion), and 2) aren't Saver half returns only for the rtn portion? (I am not sure on this), in which case how can you required to be in posession of a ticket for a journey that has ceased? the barriers could have swallowed it anyway, and 3) it would rather destroy the whole purpose of advance singles.

The Saver Half is, effectively, a single that happens to only be issued in conjunction with an AP single. The reason for the naming is because Saver Singles are about 5-10p less than Saver returns, and also Saver Singles only have a validity of 1 day, compared to the rtn portion of 1 month.

Status
Not open for further replies.