• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Saver returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJP

Hi I have a saver return in my pocket from Kirk Sandall - Motherwell, I am booked on the 15:04 on Doncaster, do I have to travel on that train or is it valid on any train?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Table 52

Any train within restrictions.

And seeing as the restriction is an 8A- that's any train you like.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Saver return? Why on earth didn't you buy GNER advance or even combo CDRs - would have been miles cheaper :confused:

Guinness

Established Member
Some people just don't bother. It's their money. It's up to them.

AJP

laverack222 said:
Saver return? Why on earth didn't you buy GNER advance or even combo CDRs - would have been miles cheaper :confused:

A) I never got it, B) I wasnt sure what day I was coming back C) Its not your money ;)

Nick W

Established Member
AJP is well known for his honesty. And combo CDRs could be considered by some as exploiting the system (edit: nothing wrong with that IMO).

metrocammel

Nick W said:
AJP is well known for his honesty. And combo CDRs could be considered by some as exploiting the system.

In what way?

They are completley legitimate! Its just fools (or neds who aren't in the know) who buy long-distance expensive tickets, and simply get rooked. After all, perhaps he likes to waste his dosh?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Nick W said:
AJP is well known for his honesty. And combo CDRs could be considered by some as exploiting the system.
How is it "exploiting" the system?

The system penalises people for travelling longer distances and using the railway in the traditional turn up and go way (which has to be an option to compete with the car).

The system charges me more for going to leeds at peak time, than occupying the same seat for twice the distance, to Hebden Bridge.

The system charges me more for York to London than the combined price of 2 others occupying the same seat for roughly half-way each, York to Grantham, then Grantham to London.

If anyone can tell me that it's not morally right to search around for the cheapest fare, then perhaps they can explain exactly why?

theblackwatch

Established Member
As he went for a few days, CDRs wouldn't have been any good....the words 'DAY RETURN' indicate you have to come back the same day.

Incidentally, for some CDR tickets, the TOC's definition of the word 'Cheap' to describe them is very different from mine!!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
theblackwatch said:
As he went for a few days, CDRs wouldn't have been any good....the words 'DAY RETURN' indicate you have to come back the same day.

Incidentally, for some CDR tickets, the TOC's definition of the word 'Cheap' to describe them is very different from mine!!
True.

Interestingly, for Yorkshire to Glasgow area flows, you save around £22 (non railcard) / £15 (railcard) by using a 'Route Appleby' ticket, it takes a little longer but there's not a huge difference (as it is far shorter). A bargain in the days of 37s to Carlisle and 87s onwards!

AJP

Nick W said:

Am I? I do use CDR combos occassionaly but they only save around a fiver now and again and I cant be bothered to purchase abot 300 tickets :lol: If I did that to Motherwell I would have to get at least 5 tickets plus I wasnt going back the same day. I usualy DO get advance tickets to Scotland but I wasnt aware of when I was coming back plus my dad bought them and he is loaded;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
AJP said:
Am I? I do use CDR combos occassionaly but they only save around a fiver now and again and I cant be bothered to purchase abot 300 tickets :lol:
A trip to London (for example) saves £15 with just 2 tickets, not 300.
AJP said:
If I did that to Motherwell I would have to get at least 5 tickets plus I wasnt going back the same day.
2 tickets could see you knock about a tenner off the cost, coming back a different day.;)
AJP said:
I usualy DO get advance tickets to Scotland but I wasnt aware of when I was coming back plus my dad bought them and he is loaded;)
I'll bear that in mind :D;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
ALRs on your dad then AJP? ;)

yorkie, slight problem with your post, in that you say it would be 2 tickets to London. If it's combo CDRs, wouldn't it be four? 2 outward portions, 2 return portions? :p

AJP

yorkie said:
A trip to London (for example) saves £15 with just 2 tickets, not 300.

2 tickets could see you knock about a tenner off the cost, coming back a different day.;)

I'll bear that in mind :D;)
But I never go to London ;)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
WSXFan said:
ALRs on your dad then AJP? ;)

yorkie, slight problem with your post, in that you say it would be 2 tickets to London. If it's combo CDRs, wouldn't it be four? 2 outward portions, 2 return portions? :p
No, a CDR is one ticket, which has 2 portions.

Table 52

WSXFan said:
Still 4 actual tickets though!

Depends how you get them printed. A hand written blank paper ticket would have outward and return on the same bit of paper and as such it would only take 2 physical tickets.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
WSXFan said:
Still 4 actual tickets though!
No, a CDR is.....

I've got a feeling of déjà vu.;)

What's the point in this discussion now, anyway? if someone really is worried about having more than 1 or 2 bits of paper, then they can pay the extra £15 or whatever, that's up to them. I'm not rich, so I won't.:p

Those who are happy to pay the extra are politely requested not to ask me for ticket advice though ;)

AJP

I dont either like to spend a lot either, but at the end of the day I just cant be arsed getting different tickets for like every station. I always get them if I go to Tamworth or Stafford etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.