• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SBB CFF FFS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richa2002

Established Member
SBB is for the German part of Switzerland. CFF for the French part & FFS for the Italian part.

Jordy

Established Member
Richard Armstrong said:
SBB is for the German part of Switzerland. CFF for the French part & FFS for the Italian part.

Ah right, I came up with that theory when I was there last summer, never checked though!!

Jordy

Where 58's still operate in commercial service...
Same goes up for Amsterdam Centrall and Schiphol airport.

If a train to the airport or to amsterdam, or an international (High speed) train is cancelled or delayed I have to announce in Dutch and English... If it is a TGV or train to brussels it is prefered to announce in French aswell.

"Ladys and Gentleman.... Due to a fire brigade investigation there are no rail services possible from Amsterdam to Schiphol Airport. Customers are advised to travel via Duivendrecht, and change there for Schiphol Airport. The extra journey time will be 20 to 30 minutes".

I do not like to spread my announcements like this one through the speakers of Amsterdam Central.... but it can be worse.

J_Legrand

I'd like to add "our" (:P) federal railways are the busier railways in the world (Or something like that? :s) at least it's busier than the Japan railways.

Also, about the anouncments, Royalscot said most of all. On the EuroCity trains, which goes outside of the Switzerland, we can hear all the 4 languages annoucments (French, german, italian and English). It's the same with the automatic announcments on the stations.. You can guess the time it's take when a EuroCity train comes in a station.. :^).

English is also widely spoken
Well, I didn't know that, Lol. I guess no more than in the other countries such as France.

All the Swiss system is well presented and in good order
Pretty true especially on the SBB CFF FFS railtrack and stations. Even if they waste many of the people money for unneeded changes - such as new stations designs... Of course we have a pretty great system, mainly because it's still a federal railway, unlike actual British companies. Let's hope it's will continue has it's started since hmmm.. 158 years or something so..

I don't know about all the countries, but there is a lot of Swiss people whos using the public transports and especially the trains and doesn't have a car.. like the Nordic countries.

Please forgive me for my possible spelling mistakes.. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.