• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scholar's annual season ticket - daughter turns 16 this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Plowman

My daughter travels with an annual scholar's season ticket (Audley End to Cambridge) using both Greater Anglia and Cross Country trains. Previously I've bought her the child's (5-15 years old) ticket, but she turns 16 in January. Can I still buy the 5-15 ticket, or do I need the 16+ version? I couldn't find the answer anywhere on their website (curious, as presumably most parents with rail-travelling children will hit this question during year 11).

I even phoned Greater Anglia customer services ("Choose from one of the following ten options..."). The chap tried to be helpful, saying that she should get a new adult photocard, but then that the 5-15 ticket would be fine. Though he said it in such a way that sounded like "you won't get into any trouble", not that "it's actually 100% OK to do this".

Anyone know? Thanks in advance!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
For child rate season tickets Knowledgebase says:
Knowledgebase said:
A child who becomes 16 years old on the first day of a 'period' Season Ticket/Travelcards pays the adult rate. If the birthday is within the ticket’s validity period, but after the first day, the half rate ticket will continue to be valid, but needs to expire by up to a maximum of four months after the 16th birthday.
However, there is a separate statement that for Scholars season tickets issuing instructions are issued to those ticket offices that are authorised to issue them. Which tells you and me nothing at all!

alistairlees

Established Member
Is this not a case for use of the 16-17 Saver to get 50% off the price of an adult season?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Is this not a case for use of the 16-17 Saver to get 50% off the price of an adult season?
This is the sort of thing the 16-17 Saver is designed or, but the birthday in January precludes the purchase of an annual season at this time.

smsm1

From the description above you could get a pro-rata season ticket at the child rate from now until 4 months after their 16th birthday, then switch to either the new railcard, or an adult or other school specific (if it exists) season ticket.

Haywain

Veteran Member
you could get a pro-rata season ticket at the child rate from now until 4 months after their 16th birthday,
That's not correct. A season issued until 4 months after the 16th birthday would be issued at the appropriate rate for that period rather than pro-rata to the annual rate.

smsm1

That's not correct. A season issued until 4 months after the 16th birthday would be issued at the appropriate rate for that period rather than pro-rata to the annual rate.
Then I don't understand what the Knowledge base article in post #2 is trying to say.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Then I don't understand what the Knowledge base article in post #2 is trying to say.
I thought it was fairly clear. It's saying that if the child has a 16th birthday on 31st January, a season ticket cannot be issued with an end date later than 30th May. It will therefore be charged at the appropriate rate for a season ticket of that period, which is not pro-rata to the price of an annual season ticket.

Last edited:

smsm1

I thought it was fairly clear. It's saying that if the child has a 16th birthday on 31st January, a season ticket cannot be issued with an end date later than 31st May. It will therefore be charged at the appropriate rate for a season ticket of that period.
So my interpretation using those example date, buying a child season ticket until 31st May is possible. It wouldn't be annual, but would get through most of the academic year, the rest of the year could be done using the new railcard with daily tickets, or an adult season whichever works out cheaper/more convenient.

According to https://www.16-17saver.co.uk/benefits/ the new railcard for 16/17 year olds be used for season tickets. So can you get the 16-17 saver before you are 16 and get an annual season ticket on it even so you haven't turned 16 yet. It would be the same as getting a child annual season. The 16-17 saver is also valid for season tickets bought with it until four months after the expiry date. https://www.16-17saver.co.uk/are-you-eligible/

Note that the 16-17 saver is not valid in Scotland as they have the YoungScot card that does similar. The above linked pages also mention other local authority schemes.

smsm1

When I was saying pro-rata, I was meaning the appropriate rate for the period. As it's more than monthly and less than annual, I was saying pro-rata to mean the appropriate cost.

smsm1

From the FAQ:
Can I buy a 16-17 Saver in advance of my 16th birthday?
A:

If you order online then yes, you can order one up to 14 days in advance of your 16th birthday.

However, you will not be able to use it to purchase a discounted ticket until your 16th birthday.

So you can't buy it in advance and use it as id you can have child tickets, or for and annual season ticket at the child rate that covers the period of you being 16.

Haywain

Veteran Member
So you can't buy it in advance and use it as id you can have child tickets, or for and annual season ticket at the child rate that covers the period of you being 16.
No, and the only thing that has changed with the introduction of the 16-17 Saver is that as well as using a child rate season for up to 4 months after the 16th birthday, 50% discounted seasons can then be purchased to cover the period up to the 18th birthday (subject to the 16-17 Saver being purchased).

smsm1

50% discounted seasons can then be purchased to cover the period up to the 18th birthday
Depending on the timing of purchasing the 16-17 Saver, the railcard can be valid for season tickets up to 4 months after your 18th birthday. The 16-17 Saver railcard has 2 expiry dates, one for normal journeys, and the other for season tickets.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Depending on the timing of purchasing the 16-17 Saver, the railcard can be valid for season tickets up to 4 months after your 18th birthday. The 16-17 Saver railcard has 2 expiry dates, one for normal journeys, and the other for season tickets.
Correct. the extension beyond the 18th birthday was an oversight on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.