• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

School children allegedly made to walk on railway lines for PE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bearhugger

I don't recall that one, but the one where the kid got badly burnt on the third rail which finished with his football boots hung up, with the implication that they would never be used again, certainly hit me hard.
That's the one that I remember most vividly at 48, the pair of football boots hung up on the back of the bedroom door is one that comes to mind whenever I need to cross a line at level or remote user worked crossings and makes me think every time.

alex397

Established Member
Fortunately the parent had the sense to phone me and have a conversation about it (and they were OK with it when I explained exactly which crossing it was, as they knew it themselves) rather than going to the Press...apparently their kid had said to them that we had crossed a motorway.
It is natural for parents to be worried, and sometimes they understandably need some reassurance. So, it is good this parent had a discussion with you.

Far too often you see parents ranting about their dramas on public Facebook groups about a certain teacher or whole school. You would think they would be mature enough to have a sensible discussion with the school.

AY1975

Established Member
Yes this is entirely wrong and should never have happened.

A key purpose of education is to ensure children grow up to be responsible, confident and (most importantly!) safe and healthy citizens. Teaching a lesson like this could have disastrous consequences if the children who experienced the lesson then decided to simply apply what they had been taught on a running line (and even worse if that line had third rail!)

Totally irresponsible and whoever decided that should be held accountable for poor decision making and a complete lack of sensible thinking
Agreed, it rather reminds me of the 1977 film "The Finishing Line" by British Transport Films. Here is the write-up of it on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Finishing_Line

and on the British Transport Films website: http://www.britishtransportfilms.co.uk/productions/films/BT1196/BT1196.html

And here is the actual film:

Legolash2o

Although a terrible idea, I don't think it's as bad if the line isn't in use during the week/weekend AND he explained to the children that you shouldn't do this AND then he clearly explained to the children that he had to get permission first (assuming he did that). If he didn't get permission and not have it all signed off, then that's just beyond irresponsible.

Personally, I still wouldn't have done it especially if it seems that there's a path next to the railway lines.

Our friend glued himself to the school gates a couple of years ago. Sounds like a normal fella. Heavily into Grain Of Salt territory.
I worked at Tesco. Someone wasn't getting a refund so they superglued their face to the Customer Service desk. I first knew about it when I went to help cover for a break and noticed two eye brow shaped hairs stuck to the desk.

Last edited:

eMeS

I was at sec school in the 1950s, and can remember in our PT lessons being told to walk along a flat topped, narrow wooden rail - part of the apparatus in the gym. I imagine it was a diagnostic tool for poor balance, because I can't remember doing it often. It certainly didn't look like a railway line...

Status
Not open for further replies.