• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scones

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCub

I've just made some scones. They are plain, and perfect served with some butter.

When I tell someone, 'scones' sounds like 'stones'; my thinking is that the 'e' at the end elongated the 'o' sound.

Other people make 'scones' sound like 'prongs', with a short 'o' sound.

What do you think is right, and why?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
I think this is a question that has been around for a long as the scones have. Where you were brought up probably reflects which way you say it. I say it the second way purely because to me it feels more natural when I say it that way.

Bayum

Established Member
It began as 'scone' as in 'gone', but over time as the scone made its way down south, we have used the 'magic e' to elongate the short 'o' into a longer 'oh' sound.

MrCub

Yes, the 'Magic E' - that's what I remember from school! I am a southerner, so that probably explains it.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Now you get to the important question - cream on top of jam or vice versa? Wars have been fought over less.
Personally, I prefer cheese scones.

trash80

Established Member
There is no "right" way, either pronunciation is fine. Long may regional accents and differences last!

gg1

Established Member
It began as 'scone' as in 'gone', but over time as the scone made its way down south, we have used the 'magic e' to elongate the short 'o' into a longer 'oh' sound.

Surely it's the other way round with scone-gone being more commonly used in the south and scone-bone being the usual northern pronunciation.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The correct way is to rhyme it with gone.

Any other way is an effete southern version used by people who are desperate social climbers & who like to pretend they are something they are not.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
From Brum and it rhymes with stone.
Funnily enough, I think rhyming with gone sounds posh/pretentious, but I've heard exactly the same said in the opposite direction.
Vive la différence! Oh that's French innit <:D

Howardh

Established Member
Scones are a bit too posh for us round here, wot, something with jam and cream on? Luxury.

Now butter me a barm cake instead ma'.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I just asked my other half to turn her Northern Irish accent up to 11 and she said “Get us a wee Scan there”... :lol:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Never mind your jam and cream. Scones (as in "gone") are ideally made with tatties and served up as breakfast :)

Romilly

Established Member
Scones, however pronounced and with whatever served, are best made with strong bread flour: see e.g. the Paul Hollywood recipe.

tony_mac

Established Member
Now you get to the important question - cream on top of jam or vice versa? Wars have been fought over less.
Personally, I prefer cheese scones.
Jam first, as it allows you to pile more cream on top. Cream-first leaves you with an unstable base to try and add jam.
Cheese scones are the work of the devil. You take two nice things, put them together, and end up with something disgusting.

takno

Established Member
Never mind your jam and cream. Scones (as in "gone") are ideally made with tatties and served up as breakfast :)
Those things are a complete mystery to me, whether pronounced correctly or not. I wasn't initially sure when I arrived up here that they were supposed to be an edible part of the breakfast. I've pretty much come to the conclusion over the years that they are not!

I've never tried adding cream and jam to them though, so that could be an option.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Scone rhymes with gone for me. I believe Scone rhyming with bone is the way Americans say the word but the pronunciation also common in the South of England.

I seem to recall a study was done eichmann found it was 50/50 in the south, fairly uncommon in the North of England and non-existent in Scotland.

For what it's worth The Queen says scone to rhyme with gone apparently ;)

Howardh

Established Member
Well that's pronounced skoon, after the place in Perthshire ;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scone,_Scotland

(/ˈskuːn/ ( listen)) (Scottish Gaelic: Sgàin; Scots: Scuin) is a village in Perth and Kinross, Scotland. The medieval village of Scone, which grew up around the monastery and royal residence, was abandoned in the early 19th century when the residents were removed and a new palace was built on the site by the Earl of Mansfield. Hence the modern village of Scone, and the medieval village of Old Scone, can often be distinguished. It was the capital of The Kingdom of Alba.

Pity Sconethorpe won't pass the naughty-word filter o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.