• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Easing of Coronavirus restrictions in Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

102 fan

I don't do titles, sorry.

We are all born the same way, we all breath the same air, and we all eventually die.

Of course, if you really want to split hairs, the present monarch is a descendant from the Saxe-Coburg Gotha family in Germany. Hence Johnny Rotten's comment years ago that she is a German tourist.

And using that logic any immigrant is still an immigrant, even if they're born here. You're falling into the Republican trap of thinking that a residents background can only be mocked/brought up if they belong to a certain strata of society.

The Queen's mother was a Scot, her father born in London, as was his Father, as was his Mother. I think any reasonable person would describe that as being a British citizen.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yew

Established Member
I don't do titles, sorry.

We are all born the same way, we all breath the same air, and we all eventually die.

Of course, if you really want to split hairs, the present monarch is a descendant from the Saxe-Coburg Gotha family in Germany. Hence Johnny Rotten's comment years ago that she is a German tourist.
Can we put the opinions of 80's singers to one side for a second, and return to the facts of the matter at hand?

Scotrail314209

Established Member
This app is so tedious.

My identity verification didn't work, I'm not sure why they don't let you sign in with the unique username you were given when you registered for your vaccines.

It's stupid, what a failure.

Berliner

This app is so tedious.

My identity verification didn't work, I'm not sure why they don't let you sign in with the unique username you were given when you registered for your vaccines.

Yes having to create a new username is silly, although it worked first time for me using my driving licence and CHI number.

kez19

Established Member
This app is so tedious.

For me it was just re-registering again but got my info (which as you rightly point out on the other site)

Yes having to create a new username is silly, although it worked first time for me using my driving licence and CHI number.

As far as I’m aware of it was they that created a username for you not yourself when I signed up but other info is correct as I had to use my passport and NHS Scotland ID.

Would it not have just been simple just to have the info we already have just to put in the app than go the long way round to what could be simple?

greyman42

Established Member
This app is so tedious.

What were you asked to do for identity verification?

Butts

Veteran Member
Having just spent some time in the West Midlands it was a revelation to see so many maskless people in all sorts of venues apart from the Aircraft.

Bus, Train , Restaurant and shops ....hardly a mask to be seen.

When are we going to to be liberated form this insidious practice and why are there not more complaints ?

duncanp

Established Member
When are we going to to be liberated form this insidious practice and why are there not more complaints ?

Probably some time before the local elections in Scotland on Thursday 5th May next year.

takno

Established Member
Having just spent some time in the West Midlands it was a revelation to see so many maskless people in all sorts of venues apart from the Aircraft.

Bus, Train , Restaurant and shops ....hardly a mask to be seen.

A lot of people seem to be very bought into the line that masks are absolutely essential, usually based on a weird level of trust in our shoddy opportunistic government, or from reading too much from the American internet. The fact that the disease has been spreading at least as effectively here with the masks just doesn't seem to matter.

I agree that coming back from the Midlands recently to Scotland was a thoroughly depressing experience

Butts

Veteran Member
A lot of people seem to be very bought into the line that masks are absolutely essential, usually based on a weird level of trust in our shoddy opportunistic government, or from reading too much from the American internet. The fact that the disease has been spreading at least as effectively here with the masks just doesn't seem to matter.

I agree that coming back from the Midlands recently to Scotland was a thoroughly depressing experience

Perhaps we need more people to travel to England to see the level of Liberation and wonder why we are still in "siege conditions" up here.

scotrail158713

Established Member
It seems our leader doesn’t see the need to wear one either now, after photos have been published from her being in Iceland today. (Photos are attached separately)

First Minister @NicolaSturgeon visited Iceland's Barnahus to learn more about how the model supports children recover from traumatic experiences. This will help shape Scotland's delivery of Bairns' Hooses across Scotland by 2025 find out more here
10B34AE5-05A6-459F-9061-91FCA4E090CE.jpeg 2C8FFEF0-44BC-476E-822B-619457022086.jpeg 702334C3-B219-4E41-8175-5B9E15EC2A3A.jpeg

kez19

Established Member
It seems our leader doesn’t see the need to wear one either now, after photos have been published from her being in Iceland today. (Photos are attached separately)

View attachment 104091 View attachment 104093 View attachment 104092

Bairns Hooses how Scottishy can you get? If anything I’d call it a Bairns House but I forgot the SNP are slaughtering the Scottish dialect too for the wrong reasons too.

Surprised it wasn’t in Gaelic or am I speaking too soon as they’ll be translation for that next?

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Bairns Hooses how Scottishy can you get? If anything I’d call it a Bairns House but I forgot the SNP are slaughtering the Scottish dialect too for the wrong reasons too.

Surprised it wasn’t in Gaelic or am I speaking too soon as they’ll be translation for that next?

What someone mentioned to me years ago, as well as being a local term for young children (instead of weans), Bairns is the collective noun for local residents of Falkirk, of which The Bairns is the nickname for Falkirk FC. Perhaps @Butts could confirm if that is the case or not?

Likewise, Buddies are local residents in Paisley, and also the nickname for St Mirren FC (the one and only club side that Alex Ferguson got the boot from back in 1978).

kez19

Established Member
I posted this in the Autumn thread but seems relevant to this thread (Vax Passport update - link updated 19 Oct 2021)

Link provide details of how to prove "status" via app or paper - it seems to include app can be used in other home nations ie England....(pity that on their app they only highlight Scotland and "international travel")

kez19

Established Member
Regarding Scotland, how do you present evidence that you are exempt?

according to the link: https://www.gov.scot/publications/c...ormation-for-customers/pages/prove-exemption/ (updated 19 Oct 2021)

How to prove exemption​

Medical exemption​

There are a very small number of people in Scotland who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons. Medical exemptions will allow those who cannot be vaccinated due to a health condition access to settings that would otherwise require vaccination.

Obtaining a medical exemption

Clinicians have identified a very small number of people who cannot receive a complete course of vaccination and they will receive a secure paper exemption certificate in the post. Your certificate allows you to access settings throughout the UK in the same way as those who are fully vaccinated.

If you cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons, you cannot use the app at this time to show proof of exemption.

For further information about exemptions please see COVID Status Guidance: common questions

Red Onion

I have medical exemption and it is a true nightmare trying to get proof of it. It says to phone the helpline but after nearly half an hour of going through various menus to be told “this information is online, thank you for your call” and the automated line being hung up. It appears there are NO staff manning the helpline and if there is I have not the foggiest idea how to get hold of them.

I am away to write to my MSP to demand an answer to this discrimination.

kez19

Established Member
I have medical exemption and it is a true nightmare trying to get proof of it. It says to phone the helpline but after nearly half an hour of going through various menus to be told “this information is online, thank you for your call” and the automated line being hung up. It appears there are NO staff manning the helpline and if there is I have not the foggiest idea how to get hold of them.

I am away to write to my MSP to demand an answer to this discrimination.

Go for it - time to give the MSPs a taste of their own medicine (regardless if they didn't want or want this to happen), time the tables turned.

Red Onion

Go for it - time to give the MSPs a taste of their own medicine (regardless if they didn't want or want this to happen), time the tables turned.

It’s just ridiculous. It is nothing but discrimination, it wouldn’t have been so bad if they allowed a lateral flow result. I just don’t understand why it is so difficult to get hold of an exemption certificate.

kez19

Established Member
It’s just ridiculous. It is nothing but discrimination, it wouldn’t have been so bad if they allowed a lateral flow result. I just don’t understand why it is so difficult to get hold of an exemption certificate.

I agree yet we can't get access to a GP in Scotland either - have a problem call for a taxi (sorry ambulance!), my GP is still doing things over the phone but yet if people have serious issues life could well be in danger.

As in terms of MSP - I do wonder what your response will be a) sorry doing everything we can or b) COVID blah blah not my fault its yours!

Red Onion

Exactly how my GP is functioning. My experience with them has been terrible, I can’t say what I think of them as it would break forum rules!

You are right re MSP, I suspect it’ll be a generic response. I have no faith in them.

kez19

Established Member
Exactly how my GP is functioning. My experience with them has been terrible, I can’t say what I think of them as it would break forum rules!

You are right re MSP, I suspect it’ll be a generic response. I have no faith in them.

That’s why I don’t understand how the NHS can be overwhelmed or becoming, is it because of this being a factor amongst other things besides COVID or is it just COVID?
If it’s just all COVID related then what have politicians NHS being doing since? I’m not having a go in general with people who work in the NHS but surely we should be close to normal than we are in terms of GPs and other treatments?

As for my MSP comments I agree that will be your response - I wonder if they will pay us a visit and ask “how are we doing?” or still play the COVID card and not bother as they will know how the public really feel?

VauxhallandI

Established Member
What someone mentioned to me years ago, as well as being a local term for young children (instead of weans), Bairns is the collective noun for local residents of Falkirk, of which The Bairns is the nickname for Falkirk FC. Perhaps @Butts could confirm if that is the case or not?

Likewise, Buddies are local residents in Paisley, and also the nickname for St Mirren FC (the one and only club side that Alex Ferguson got the boot from back in 1978).
I can confirm both of these are true.

greyman42

Established Member
That’s why I don’t understand how the NHS can be overwhelmed or becoming, is it because of this being a factor amongst other things besides COVID or is it just COVID?
I don't believe the NHS is overwhelmed or near to being overwhelmed.

kez19

Established Member
I don't believe the NHS is overwhelmed or near to being overwhelmed.

One source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sc...g-nhs-pressures-reach-paediatrics-3423252?amp

Another: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sc...lmed-this-winter-scotsman-comment-3423915?amp

It might be a bit off topic but it was like hearing with the COVID cases in Scotland I was led to believe cases were down but the highlight on the preview of Scotland Tonight last night was the opposite - so which is it and what to believe as for me I have or about to lose trust in just about everything.

One source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sc...g-nhs-pressures-reach-paediatrics-3423252?amp

Another: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sc...lmed-this-winter-scotsman-comment-3423915?amp

It might be a bit off topic but it was like hearing with the COVID cases in Scotland I was led to believe cases were down but the highlight on the preview of Scotland Tonight last night was the opposite - so which is it and what to believe as for me I have or about to lose trust in just about everything.

Cases in Scotland have been pretty stable at around 2500 per day for a while now (daily figures vary a bit but the rolling 7-day average is pretty flat) - I've attached a screengrab from Our World In Data site which is one of the few places I've found that shows the four nations seperately

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/uk-daily-covid-cases-7day-average?time=2021-08-20..latest - updates most days

There is a particular stress on paediatrics partly due to higher rates of RSV than normal - this seems to be catchup from 18 months+ of reduced cases during restrictions/lockdown

Attachments

• covid graph1.jpg
    covid graph1.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 15
Status
Not open for further replies.