Scotland CP6

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by GRALISTAIR, 17 Jul 2019.

1. GRALISTAIR

GRALISTAIR Established Member

I was watching Grayling before the Transport Select Committee today and was a a little underwhelmed to say the least. No real commitment to anything.

However Scotland transport is devolved. I am reposting this from a while ago

Electrification threads and resources index

Absolutely nothing has been heard unless I am looking in the wrong place

Scotland will have a pipeline - rolling programme - etc etc. Any news?

Last edited: 24 Jul 2019
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. JLUK144

JLUK144 Member

May you please clarify what CP6 is, I’d be most grateful?

4. Highlandspring

Highlandspring Established Member

Control Period 6, which is 2019 - 2024.

5. JLUK144

JLUK144 Member

Thank you very much.

6. JLUK144

JLUK144 Member

The Scottish Government recently announced £25 million of funding for the East Kilbride Line. This will involve improving access to stations and possibly leading to its electrification. There’s also been talk of electrifying the Borders Railway but that might be jumping the gun. Electrification of the Inter7City routes in the future is a certainty and the Scottish Govt are looking at reopening the line between Stranraer and Dumfries.

7. LNW-GW Joint

LNW-GW Joint Veteran Member

It may be worth adding that the Control Period mechanism is the way Network Rail is funded for a 5-year period, by either the DfT (for England and Wales) or the Scottish Government (for Scotland).
    So far, no specific electrification projects have been announced for CP6, bar the extension of the Great Western scheme from Bristol Parkway to Cardiff, and the Midland scheme from Bedford to Corby and Market Harborough.
    Scotland had previously announced a rolling programme of electrification, but the existing projects have finished and no new ones have been announced.

8. InOban

InOban Established Member

AIUI, the capital sum available to the Scottish government is fixed by the Barnett formula to the sum committed by London. Because of the present political shambles, this hasn't been announced. I read somewhere that NR have an enhancement program ready to publish but are being stopped from doing so by the department of transport.

9. GRALISTAIR

So to spell out the original quote - my bolding and emphasis:

Quote 1: 'Scotland in CP6 will have a rolling, long term, work bank for electrification.'

Quote 2: 'We are seeing electrification unit rates in Scotland being some of the lowest in the UK'.

Quote 3: 'Peaks and troughs for workbanks are the enemy of efficiency'.

Quote 4: 'Steady, long term workbanks provide long term employment for local regions'.

I am almost tempted to bold the lot, but you know the saying "All emphasis is NO emphasis"

10. Fougasse

Fougasse Member

Unfortunately, there has been little to no OLE construction work in Scotland during 2019. The teams that provided those efficiencies have long since been broken up and dispersed around the UK and beyond. Indeed, many individuals have left the industry entirely due to the lack of OLE construction work nationwide.

11. route101

route101 Established Member

Shame , they could been onto Maryhill , Barrhead and EK Schemes by ow

12. och aye

och aye Member

I'm a bit surprised that there haven't been a bank of projects for the EGIP teams to jump into for CP6. As others have said, a bit of a lost opportunity to use the skills of the EGIP and even some of the Borders Railway teams from CP5.

13. Photohunter71

Photohunter71 Member

14. CEN60

CEN60 Member

For the record - NR have a tender out in the ether regarding Edin Sub Electrification & also for Upgrade of Portobello Jcn & Electrification to Nidrie North Jc (as well as twin track and an additional platform at Brunstane)

15. InOban

Is this a recent invitation to tender? If so, great news.

16. Bald Rick

Bald Rick Established Member

For development or design, surely.

17. CEN60

CEN60 Member

As far as I know the Suburban Tender is "feasibilty / development" - feasibility looked at before - but the electrification goalposts have changed!

Portobello is "Outline Design" - One point though - surely the Sub has to be electrified before taking out Portobello - if you shut Portobello how do Scotrai get electric trains from Millerhill to Waverley? (Unless to loco haul them!)

And yes - they are very recent tenders.
    Some are in the public domain and are released thru the NR Bravo website

https://networkrail.bravosolution.co.uk/web/login.html (you can browse without a login)

18. Photohunter71

Photohunter71 Member

You'd imagine that electrification of the sub first would be a sensible option before tackling Portobello!
    If they work on Portobello first, then I'll look forward to more variety passing by my flat!

19. Stopper

Stopper Member

Dalmeny chord please.

20. CEN60

CEN60 Member

Dream on!!! :)

21. GRALISTAIR

Indeed, the very aggressive target for decarbonization has changed everything - for the good IMHO !

22. Class 170101

Class 170101 Established Member

Probably more to do with electrification standards than decarbonisation unfortunately.

23. CEN60

CEN60 Member

Correct interpretation of my post - yes!

24. ld0595

ld0595 Member

Interesting quote from the article linked below saying an MSP was told that the platforms at Milngavie were being extended to accommodate nine-carriage trains. Is there any truth to this? I can't see this happening due to space constraints at a number of key stations along the route, but happy to be corrected.

https://www.milngavieherald.co.uk/n...gavie-line-is-now-on-track-says-msp-1-5013884

25. CEN60

CEN60 Member

There is a scheme in the offing to extend the platforms - yes. As I understand it it is to allow stabling in the platform! (but I could be wrong and have been before and no doubt will be again!)

26. InOban

I guess it would mean fewer ECS moves to and from Yoker. It may be that most of the traincrew would find it easier to sign on there.

27. Stopper

Stopper Member

I’d imagine that’s the case. Not a chance you’re seeing 9-car workings on Milngavie trains.