• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotland - Framework out of the pandemic - 23rd February 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

takno

Established Member
I like the fact Linda says allow businesses have their say but is not down to people like her and Government that say they’ll listen but steamroll over it regardless of views?
Bauld is far from perfect, but in general I think she's taken a much more realistic view of things than Sridhar or Sturgeon. There was a definite feeling in this one that she was being forced to at-least-partially defend a policy she thought was crazy and quite possibly hadn't yet read.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kez19

Established Member
Bauld is far from perfect, but in general I think she's taken a much more realistic view of things than Sridhar or Sturgeon. There was a definite feeling in this one that she was being forced to at-least-partially defend a policy she thought was crazy and quite possibly hadn't yet read.

Shouldn’t this be the approach regardless or has Sturgeon bypassed this?

The thing that gets me I get none of them are perfect but it’s to the extent their views can go extreme but when they get a blowback it’s sort of well what you expect?

devon_metro

Established Member
Apparently those from different househoulds will have to social distance while sat at tables. Guess they'll just have a nice time indoors then once people realise how quicky they'll be turned away once they tell restaurants, e.t.c. they're from different households.

I distinctly remember moving house lots of times last year when falling foul of the "household" limit ;) I suspect I was not the only one

liam456

Is this supposed to be a tacit admission that Scotland is unhealthier than E&W, or that they have less confidence in their Test and Protect system? Is the Scottish population more at risk as a whole from COVID than the rest of the UK? Or just somewhere where devolution has gone wrong....?

Established Member
Is this supposed to be a tacit admission that Scotland is unhealthier than E&W, or that they have less confidence in their Test and Protect system? Is the Scottish population more at risk as a whole from COVID than the rest of the UK? Or just somewhere where devolution has gone wrong....?
It's just Sturgeon playing political games with Westminster. Don't forget Scotland nearly eliminated covid last summer but us germ ridden English tourists coming in were solely to blame for the spikes afterwards.

devon_metro

Established Member

It's easy to be cautious when you have the UK treasury to fall back on. I expect an independent Scotland would have made very different decisions.

liam456

It's just Sturgeon playing political games with Westminster. Don't forget Scotland nearly eliminated covid last summer but us germ ridden English tourists coming in were solely to blame for the spikes afterwards.
To be fair, the first half of that last sentence is likely true, the second half of course not so much. Genetic sequencing (albeit limited) back then seems to have showed that the “original” variants pretty much died out and new ones were reimported from foreign summer travel.

NB: The source for the above was a podcast with Devi Sridhar discussing Scotland’s COVID response, available here: https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/947382

bramling

Veteran Member
I distinctly remember moving house lots of times last year when falling foul of the "household" limit ;) I suspect I was not the only one

We went for a quick drink last week in a pub garden, with someone from another household, nothing said. However it was noticeable that there were some groups talking to each other from one table to another. No idea, or care, what the official position is!

Bikeman78

Established Member
All governments should stop peddling about with all these distances, it’s clear no one has a clue and again clear it’s a make it up as we go along approach
Now that trains are getting busier, I've noted that, when queueing to get off, most people will squeeze up almost touching each other, just as used to happen before Covid.

Butts

Veteran Member
Doesn't look like it. May 17th would be the earliest possible date, I guess.

What's this nonsense about Lateral Flow tests before going to the Islands ? - at least it's not mandatory so can be ignored.

Did no one ask her about it at the Conference (Foreign Travel)

Scotrail314209

Established Member
One thing I do understand is the possibility of getting tested before heading to the islands. Given that their resources can easily be stretched, it's something I partially agree on.

route101

Established Member
Trains were busiest I've seen in a long while today at Glasgow Central.

Journeyman

Established Member
Trains were busiest I've seen in a long while today at Glasgow Central.
I travelled from Linlithgow to Stirling today, and yeah, the trains I was on were all pretty busy too. It'll be interesting to see if reopening stuff on Monday makes a difference too.

Scotrail12

Can confirm as well that trains are busy. Saw a giant queue on platforms 5/6 at Central as the EK & Neilston trains arrived at the same time.

Quite a nice feeling, first time I've seen that in ages. A sign that we are back to some sort of normal.

liam456

Planning to hit the gym as well as a local pub if possible after my first exam today!

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Sadly most people on my social media are saying it’s “far too early” and that this is our biggest mistake of the pandemic so far.

I’m stuck in as I have classes sadly, but I might head a wander into town and see what the atmosphere is like.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Sadly most people on my social media are saying it’s “far too early” and that this is our biggest mistake of the pandemic so far.

I’m stuck in as I have classes sadly, but I might head a wander into town and see what the atmosphere is like.

Oh of course theres always a few. No doubt they'd moan if it was extended.

They've reopened in England and things seem to be fine.

philosopher

Established Member

I have heard others say “it is far too early“ too whenever there is an easing. I do wonder exactly in what situation they would be OK opening up.

Established Member
Today is the day!

Anyone got plans?
In the words of Father Jack... DRINK!

Now that us germ ridden English folk are allowed in, I'm heading up to tick a few 'Spoons off in Central Scotland for a couple of days.

takno

Established Member
I have heard others say “it is far too early“ too whenever there is an easing. I do wonder exactly in what situation they would be OK opening up.
I've got some people who are genuinely quite irritated about going back to work, as you might expect. In a couple of cases it's translating into "concerns", but the NHS staff I know are giving it pretty short shrift and making it clear that they want a drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.