• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotland votes no to Independence

Status
Not open for further replies.

St Rollox

That's quite a remarkable turnaround for The Herald - or should I say Glasgow Herald to give it it's former and some would say proper name - see Guardian (Manchester).

I can remember when The Glasgow Herald was Conservative supporting newspaper , the daily version didn't come out in support of Independence only the Sunday version. Neither did the Evening News which it also publishes.

Half the people they dug out in Glasgow to vote Yes were just about capable of putting a cross in a box so I wouldn't worry about them being able to read this new publication.

I'll go one better than a Tory/Unionist supporting Glasgow Herald, try a Tory supporting Daily Record pre Harold Wilson.
Ps, there's no connection between the Edinburgh's Evening News and the
Glasgow Herald.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
I'll go one better than a Tory/Unionist supporting Glasgow Herald, try a Tory supporting Daily Record pre Harold Wilson.
Ps, there's no connection between the Edinburgh's Evening News and the
Glasgow Herald.

Yes, I meant Evening Times :oops:

St Rollox

Can't think of any Scottish daily that was Labour back in the day.
The biggest newspaper sales wise north of the border was the Scottish Daily Express.
The only daily UK one i know that was pro Labour was the Daily Herald which was bought by some chap and renamed the "Sun".

NotATrainspott

Established Member
On a cynical level it's a good business decision to publish a pro-Indy title because you know you've got a market who are going to make an active effort to support the title - this is why the Sunday Herald's sales have gone through the roof. Given that there are now 92,000 members of the SNP, selling 50,000 papers at 50p each day is not going to be a challenge.

St Rollox

It's quite funny reading the Scottish edition of the Daily Mail as it falls over itself to be pro Labour.
Must be a first for the Daily Mail.

Butts

Veteran Member
"Oh it's all gone quiet over there........" :p

I see The Smith Commission reported in yesterday delivering most of what Cameron had promised and within the projected timescale if adopted. :p

Johnuk123

Established Member
I thought Alex Salmond blowing his nose on a St George flag was rather childish.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You know though if an English politician would have done that with a Saltire north of the border wouldn't have took it lightly.

[youtube]9UprxM_aBWk[/youtube]

A cheeky wee swally of Irn Bru lightens the mood rather. Lets get some perspective here. Shall we swap the flags for Israel & Palestine and see what happens.......

Johnuk123

Established Member

A cheeky wee swally of Irn Bru lightens the mood rather. Lets get some perspective here. Shall we swap the flags for Israel & Palestine and see what happens.......

I like the farting bulldog, never seen that advert before quite funny.

Butts

Veteran Member

That's a great advert - I love "Wembley" the dog and what he does :p

St Rollox

"Oh it's all gone quiet over there........" :p

I see The Smith Commission reported in yesterday delivering most of what Cameron had promised and within the projected timescale if adopted. :p

If adopted.....

I won't be too hard on David Cameron.
Anything that helps finish off the Scottish Labour Party is must be congratulated.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
If adopted.....

Anything that helps finish off the Scottish Labour Party is must be congratulated.

Indeed. Why have the Scottish Labour party when you can have the SNP sucking up to Souter fulfilling the Tory "give every religious loony their own school" policy.

oldman

Hard choice, a left of center social democratic party with a social conscience or a right wing outfit calling itself the Scottish Labour Party.

Or a party which talks left and acts right.

Freeze council tax, good if you live in a big house in Bearsden, not so good if its a wee flat (in St Rollox). So councils have to cut classroom assistants and services for disabled and elderly just like in England. But of course it's London's fault, nothing to do with us.

No prescription charges, but growing queues in A and E.

No tuition fees for the middle class uni students but less living support for poorer students, and big cuts to further education colleges, disproportionately used by the less affluent.

A few populist policies do not make a left wing party.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
If adopted.....

The Smith Commission is just off the press and some SNP mouthpiece (Linda Fabiani) is saying that it's not enough. What else do this mob want? We are not a federal system or a republic, the SNP didn't get Independence and they are going to have to accept that.

The powers that Holyrood now have, is more than what some states in the USA have....

But overall it's just typical Yes voters moaning as per usual...

St Rollox

Freeze council tax, good if you live in a big house in Bearsden, not so good if its a wee flat (in St Rollox). So councils have to cut classroom assistants and services for disabled and elderly just like in England. But of course it's London's fault, nothing to do with us.

No tuition fees for the middle class uni students but less living support for poorer students, and big cuts to further education colleges, disproportionately used by the less affluent.

I'm sure all will be sorted when Jim Murphy and the Labour Party get back in.
Jim knows all about tuition fees being a ex National Union of Students president.....

Butts

Veteran Member
It's strange that Nicola Sturgeon has said that the SNP will not support a Conservative Government at Westminster, yet they were happy a few years back to allow Conservative MSP's to help get their legislation through Holyrood.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Indeed. Why have the Scottish Labour party when you can have the SNP sucking up to Souter fulfilling the Tory give every "religious loony" their own school" policy.

Do "normal loonies" still qualify under your qualification of matters? I was unaware that the Scottish Conservatives shared an education platform with the SNP. I wonder how John Knox would view your comment if he was alive today.

The RailUK website is indeed a vehicle for information dissemination to those unaware of such matters...one learns a new fact every day on here.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
It's strange that Nicola Sturgeon has said that the SNP will not support a Conservative Government at Westminster, yet they were happy a few years back to allow Conservative MSP's to help get their legislation through Holyrood.

Because Labour were (actually, are) still in shock that they lost to the SNP and thus refused to have anything to do with the formation of a left-wing government. The Tories supported the SNP on an issue-by-issue basis, as was the intention when Holyrood was designed, but they were very much the junior partner and couldn't have done any real damage. The SNP propping up a Tory government would mean the SNP were the junior partner at Westminster, which is what Nicola Sturgeon resolutely refused to ever consider. It certainly has done the Liberal Democrats no good in the past five years.

St Rollox

Fair play to Jim Murphy.
He's about the only chance unionism has of stopping their vote splintering 3 or 4 ways.

NotATrainspott

Established Member

The STUC seem to be not too happy with the Labour party's contribution to the Smith Commission, and I don't think you can pass them off as middle-class loonies. If the SNP are not appealing to the working class of Scotland, that will become more than evident in polling figures. However, it appears that nothing of the sort is happening. I wish you good luck in May 2015, when Labour in Scotland will receive its just deserts.

The Smith Commission is just off the press and some SNP mouthpiece (Linda Fabiani) is saying that it's not enough. What else do this mob want? We are not a federal system or a republic, the SNP didn't get Independence and they are going to have to accept that.

The powers that Holyrood now have, is more than what some states in the USA have....

But overall it's just typical Yes voters moaning as per usual...

Gordon Brown seemed to suggest to a lot of people - given that the BBC gave him the blanket coverage they denied to the SNP - that within one or two years, Scotland would be part of a UK that would be as federal as can be when one nation has 85% of the population.

Holyrood has no new powers yet. The Smith Commission report is a list of recommendations, as was the Calman Commission report. Calman was watered down and only a subset of the recommendations were passed in the Scotland Act. You're deluding yourself by putting Labour, the Lib Dems and the Tories in a far better position in Scotland than the electorate do. Why else would the SNP be polling at 45% of Westminster voting intention? With the wonderful FPTP voting system you in the Labour party supported, the irony of you losing almost all your seats is too magnificent to comprehend.

oldman

First past the post will certainly mean the SNP do well in seats. We will see how well they do in percentage votes in an actual election. Last time I went to school 44% was less than half, but that was a while back, it may have changed since then.

They will no doubt do everything they can, along with their UKIP brothers, to disrupt the smooth running of the UK. It's what extreme nationalist parties do. Disrupt the system and then blame the system and promise to bring order.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
First past the post will certainly mean the SNP do well in seats. We will see how well they do in percentage votes in an actual election. Last time I went to school 44% was less than half, but that was a while back, it may have changed since then.

They will no doubt do everything they can, along with their UKIP brothers, to disrupt the smooth running of the UK. It's what extreme nationalist parties do. Disrupt the system and then blame the system and promise to bring order.

The SNP will work to implement their manifesto commitments when elected, as is the entire point of Parliamentary democracy. If they get 45%+ of the vote in Scotland they're doing extremely well, given that Labour and the Tories are bumping along at around 30-35% right now. If you have a problem with a party representing a country with only 45% of the vote, you should find the idea of Labour or the Tories governing the whole UK with less than that to be even more repulsive.

Status
Not open for further replies.