• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail 156s diagrammed to Perth/Dundee/Arbroath or just mistake on RTT's part?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clansman

Established Member
Thought I'd have a nosey at the Scotrail diagrams in the wake of the QS tunnel closures. Found a few services from Glasgow to Perth/Dundee/Arbroath, which are apparently timed for 75mph sprinters. Class 156s from QS mainly run to West Highlands/Stirling/Alloa/Dunblane, and have not been seen regularly further North since 2005. When I follow some of the diagrams (by viewing station platorms that the previous diagramed terminated in order to track the unit, though this isn't always accurate) I found that the train diagrammed often jumps from sprinters to turbostars. For example an empty coaching stock service from Dundee to Perth would be diagramed as a 75mph 156, but the train scheduled to do a service from that same platform is diagrammed as a 90mph 158. RTT differentiate between 158s and 170s by their speeds, so a service diagrammed for a 170 would show up as a 100mph 158.

According to RTT, all services from QS LL to Perth/Dundee/Arbroath are diagramed as a 75mph sprinter apart from the Carnoustie stopper which is a 90mph 158. So, unless 156s are actually working these services, is it more or less a mistake on RTTs part as 156s would need Glasgow or Edinburgh guards to work?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

postye

Thought I'd have a nosey at the Scotrail diagrams in the wake of the QS tunnel closures. Found a few services from Glasgow to Perth/Dundee/Arbroath, which are apparently timed for 75mph sprinters. Class 156s from QS mainly run to West Highlands/Stirling/Alloa/Dunblane, and have not been seen regularly further North since 2005. When I follow some of the diagrams (by viewing station platorms that the previous diagramed terminated in order to track the unit, though this isn't always accurate) I found that the train diagrammed often jumps from sprinters to turbostars. For example an empty coaching stock service from Dundee to Perth would be diagramed as a 75mph 156, but the train scheduled to do a service from that same platform is diagrammed as a 90mph 158. RTT differentiate between 158s and 170s by their speeds, so a service diagrammed for a 170 would show up as a 100mph 158.

According to RTT, all services from QS LL to Perth/Dundee/Arbroath are diagramed as a 75mph sprinter apart from the Carnoustie stopper which is a 90mph 158. So, unless 156s are actually working these services, is it more or less a mistake on RTTs part as 156s would need Glasgow or Edinburgh guards to work?

A timing load is just that, for timings, what is diagrammed for a service will be shown in the CWN

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
90mph capable 158s will obviously be able to keep to 75mph timings, so there is no mistake, only a misunderstanding on your part. It's a classic error appearing every now and then on the forum. There is no requirement to diagram a unit on its highest capable timing load.

RTT has no way of knowing the allocated stock. As postye said, you will need the Carriage Working Notice for that.

causton

Established Member
You say "According to RTT" like the site owner sits there himself typing in all of the times by hand ;)

Of course, the data is exactly what comes from Network Rail, which comes from whatever the train operating company says it is!

Trains can have multiple timing loads throughout a journey, some sites such as http://brtimes.com/ will show where the timing load changes (the most obvious being the Highland sleeper, which changes from electric timing load to a diesel one)

Clansman

Established Member
I'll gladly hold my hands up lol. Diagramming isn't my strongest point so go easy from now on in :D
Cheers, was expecting some 156s up my way which would've been a nice change. Sorry RTT for the accusations too ;)

ld0595

I saw this too. I was around when the Arbroath train was passing and it was the usual 170. There are a few late night stoppers which are timed for 75mph which are also 170s. Like someone said, I don't think a 156 has visited Dundee since 2005.

Clansman

Established Member
I saw this too. I was around when the Arbroath train was passing and it was the usual 170. There are a few late night stoppers which are timed for 75mph which are also 170s. Like someone said, I don't think a 156 has visited Dundee since 2005.

156s have been seen a few times in Dundee since. They work the Edinburgh stopper with a 158 on occasions, but not often. There is a video on Youtube of it if you're interested. If I remember right the last regular 156 service up Perth-Arbroath way was when FSR used 3 SPT ones to add capacity for the Carnoustie Golf Tournament. Sadly now a days the only chance of a 156 up our way is if there is Edinurgh/Glasgow guards to work it as Perth/Dundee/Aberdeen/Inverness guards have been shifted from 156 duties since the 2005 summer timetable came out.

Last edited:
2N47 1522 glasgow to arbroath has mostly been a 170 since queen street closed but it was a single 158 last night.
2A49 1622 glasgow to carnoustie has mostly been a 170 since queen street closed

Status
Not open for further replies.