• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail 158 Transferred to Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I have noticed that the Scotrail Class 158 unit which has been on hire to TPE seems to have departed already for Northern. It has been operating the Hull-Sheffield semi fasts and the Hull-Doncaster slow services for the past few days. So that means there is a perfectly good Transpennine running about with first class on Hull-Doncaster all-stoppers! Seems stupid to me :?

It even looked as if it still had TPE seat covers, so I guess this was carried out pretty short notice. Any reason why this has been transferred?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David

Established Member
theblackwatch from wnxx.com said:
Also worth noting that 158740/1 are on hire to Northern rather than TPE. 741 was on hire to TPE not long ago as mentioned, but went back to Scotland and returned a week or two later

Hope this clears some of the confusion

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not sure what the leasing agreement is, but they may operate from a common pool where the depot will try to provide services with FC to TPE and without FC to Northern, however it may be that the 'wrong' units get put on the wrong diagrams for some reason (e.g. stock movement, maintenance, or something).

This is quite frequent on Southern/Thameslink where I've seen Southern services in Thameslink livery and vice-versa.

But you have to remember that TPE/Northern don't own any of these trains, they are leased, and so it is possible that the units can be mixed up.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I believe so, yes. To be honest, there is a real 'mish-mash' of 158s across the North at the minute. TPE have Central Trains units as well as their own, and Northern have Central, Scotrail, FNW and WY Metro :roll:
Also, any of these could really be seen anywhere on the network.

David

Established Member
At the minute, there is 2 Scotrail 158's sub-leased to Northern (or is it TPX :? ), and they are 158740/1

Status
Not open for further replies.